Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
So just a quick update, I did in fact get the Translogic Auto-blipper/ QuickShifter install on my Fionah and my goodness I am in absolute love.
Also updated the Brake System to include Spiegler Stainless Steel Lines, Brembo Master Cylinder with Smoked Res(Thx to the chaps in the UK for the hookup), and Rizoma Res Mount as a nice added Touch.

Bored and impatient as the winter seems to never end, and as our quarantine woes continue, I found a set of Woodcraft Clips Ons on here thanks to @Praztek. From there, I was inspired…
While the bars were in good shape, I wanted some fresh ones and keep the old ones as spares. Picked up a set of Vortex and I am glad I did because they are more a matte black compared to Woodcraft.

This motorcycle as I think most of our 09’s are to us, is more than a recreational vehicle. A little about me, I recently am divorced, went to a dark place early December and had to lose myself to figure myself out. This bike helps me figure things out, I absolutely love working on her. And to be able to do that and then right her, it nothing short of inspiring.
I recently moved into a one bedroom apt complex and have a 10 x 25 storage unit. Loads of area. So more room to work on the bike. However considering that the unit is on the same level…she gets a nice view of the outdoors, comfy, in the living room 😊

Ended up getting a set of Renthal Medium Compound Grips. I had these on my old ZX6R(except the firm), and was in love. Super grippy especially with leather gloves and TONS of feel in the throttle. Can really nail down those minute inputs.

Debated what was next, and went with an MRA Racing WindScreen. Yes there are others, but aesthetically I enjoy this eye candy over others, and have one on my old racebike was awesome. Sold! However, this was a bit of a dilemma. I bought it from an Italian Company and long story short, they sent me the wrong one. I asked for a shipping label/return authorization and they said they would repay me. Needless to say they only paid $60 towards the $340 shipping expense back to Italy. AAnd with everything going on, I didn’t think I would ever see any money back or the windscreen. Filed with Paypal and Bank of America, but they are just looking at the $140 initial charge. Still working on fighting it, but in the interim, I ended up procuring another one from Revzilla.
IMG_2880.JPEG

Lastly, the “piece de resistance” is my Domino XM2 QuickAction Throttle. If you’re unfamiliar with what a “QuickAction/QuickTurn” Throttle does, in essence it shortens the rotational “Throw” of the throttle grip so you don’t have to rotate it as far to full throttle and get forearm pump. Good news is, the throttle gets turned on quick. Bad news is, the throttle gets turned on Quick. This is the first time I am going to be installing this piece by myself. I am curious, a bit nervous and anxious but after seeing the youtube video below I feel semi confident…for now…

Instructions don't quite make it to be totally English. Read with Caution.

Damn Grip is a PITA to get on. (Will Safety wire the final product)

Real estate on the RHB may become a bit of an issue....button pods anyone? :D

·
Registered
358 Posts
Welcome and thank you for posting this "quick action throttle". This might help with my arthritis and carpbutunnel in my right shoulder, arm,and wrist. Would want to know performance in rain, acceleration through corners, and difference in rider modes. I'm a fan of Vcyclenut flash and have my throttle cable tight for now.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I recently moved into a one bedroom apt complex and have a 10 x 25 storage unit. Loads of area. So more room to work on the bike. However considering that the unit is on the same level…she gets a nice view of the outdoors, comfy, in the living room 😊

You may want to rethink having your bike in the apartment ... check with your landlord there is a high liability on your part storing a bike in a apartment with fuel ! Believe me I have been there done that !

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I recently moved into a one bedroom apt complex and have a 10 x 25 storage unit. Loads of area. So more room to work on the bike. However considering that the unit is on the same level…she gets a nice view of the outdoors, comfy, in the living room

You may want to rethink having your bike in the apartment ... check with your landlord there is a high liability on your part storing a bike in a apartment with fuel ! Believe me I have been there done that !
I have thought about that, once I start riding regularly it’ll be out on the front porch. I don’t see myself being in this apt. Long term after my lease is up in Mar 2021.

2009 Ninja

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok guys,
So got my bike over to my storage unit to farckle around with it. First thing was first. Access.

So what this entails in removal of the seat, tank, airbox. I took off the front plastic piece just above the headlight piece because i though i would be able to reroute the cables(throttle and clutch) & brake line in between the tight area but unfortunately, it stretched the lines too much.

Once all the items were removed, I took some reference pics of the Stock OEM bars for where everything was located and angles.

Removal of the handle bars items honestly wasn't difficult at all, I would recommend going from out outside in. Mirrors, Grips, button clusters, clutch/brake brackets. Hardest part of this whole process was getting the clutchside grip off. It was then, I realized I left my WD40 at home. Quick run home and I was able to grab it.

Queue the song...

Put on the Woodcraft ClipOn Risers with the RamMount Bolt tied to a Quadlock Ball Mount. I must say, that is the piece de resistance!

Now is where things get extremely frustrating.

The Domino XM2 Throttle Grips come with "Universal Cables" that include a nipple on one end and "screw on" nipples at the other. I feed the cable from the throttle to the handlebar, which if you look at the directions is straight up WRONG. You are supposed to feed from handlebar to the throttle. Strike one.

Measure twice; Cut Once
So yea, I thought the cables had to be super effing tight. and cut them so short that I couldn't even manage to get it in the throttle tube. MF-ers. Strike two. Had to order a comletely new set (Set me back $331 with two day expedited). Will be posted the throttle grip fro sale shortly.

New Throttle and Throttle Cables came in quick thanks to SuperbikeUnlimited. If you haven't checked them out, they make stuff that you find on Revzilla look like amateur hour, but be forewarned, bring a credit card and don't show the wife.

Anyways routed the throttle cables correctly this time and got them installed. the BIGGEST PITA is the Throttle Cable(which is the front throttle cable facing down or right one as pictured below).

Gaining access to inset the screw on cable nipple is a PITA and took lots of manuevering and finger faddling. Eventually I got it in there. One item to note is to ensure you grease the nipple before hand(I just used the OEM throttle grease and lathered the lightest layer there) and sand down any excess wire that may be sticking out of the screw on nipple after you cut the cord.

After the Throttle Pull Cable you'll want to do the Throttle Return cable. Much easier to get in but do NOT make this too tight. There are two adjustments on each cable. One on the Throttle grip assembly and the other as pictured above. Make sure that the return line is not too terribly tight but secure.

Some pics for reference:

Finally, put everything back together. Be forewarned when you first start her up as it startled me when she wanted to go full revs upon startup. I loosened the cables and she started normally. I warmed her up via Translogics PitLane WarmUp botton and took her around my storage unit for a little test ride. Man these clips on are gonna need some getting used to, but already feel how nice they'll perform on the track.

I went to put my bike away and while stationary and in neutral I turn the handlebars to the left and notice the revs go through the roof. I was like MFer. Then, I tried to adjust the Mode Switch and it was not adjusting. I though maybe a pinched wire or something of that nature. Either way I wanted the dealership(Yamaha of Camphill FTW) to inspect it to make sure everything was copasetic.

Brought it over for a couple of reasons-
1) Front brake light switch was not working.
2) Mode Switch Not working
3) Inspect Adjustment to throttle cables

The service manager was nice, and was very easy going to have my bike in there. We went over everything. I learned that the reason the mode switch was not engaging was because even if the RPM's were near idle the Throttle may not be fully closed and thus the mode switch WILL NOT change over. He said he'll adjust the throttle cables. Nice! Kill two birds with one stone.

Front brake light switch
After upgrading my BremboRCS19, I install a brake light switch that is in essence a plastic switch that goes under the MC. However, I cut the wires too short and even with my shotty crimp job it was still too short is what the Service Manger said. He also stated that my Reservior to MC line was "sweating" with brake fluid. MF-er to the Revzilla I go. Ordered a Woodcraft Brake switch light(FINE THREAD for Brembo MC's) and managed to get a steal on a Graves Fender Eliminator kit(MSRP $179 got for $130). Sold and shipped to the dealership(though I will be installing the fender myself).

Additionally, I also ordered some Tygon Tubing from Superbike Unlimited. 12" for $8 + $8 for shipping. Sold. I must admit that I originally used some clear tubing that came from my Amazon Peasant Brake bleeder kit and this tubing was not "intended" for Automotive use.

All in all, I think I will be happy how this turns out. Let me know what you guys think. Hope this helps someone else along the way.

-PinoyRider88

1 - 7 of 7 Posts