Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Got it!!!

Ok all I had time to do tonight was plug it in and play around with it for a couple minutes. So far I like it but it is in need of a software update. The high beam indicator is backwards. It's on when the low beams are on and it turns off when the high beams are on. Just a simple software glitch.(update below, the high beam indicator isn't controlled by software.) I'm not sure how they'd do the update, if at all. It does have bluetooth so they could possibly do a software download that way.

The other thing they could fix, or add is to be able to select the outside air temp on the display. That's a huge one for me, I almost always have OAT displayed on the stock cluster. Luckily for me, my Garmin also shows ambient temperature so I just have to teach myself to look at it instead of the cluster.

If those are the only glitches, they aren't deal breakers for me but may be for others. I think I'm REALLY going to like the easier to read tach, speedo and gear indicator. I think the run time display might be nice and also the oil change intervals. The max rpm memory on the second screen might be interesting too, we'll see.

Unfortunately for me, I'll have to make a new bracket for my setup, which isn't stock obviously. So it might be a couple days until I get a chance make a bracket and ride it with the new cluster.

edit- The high beam indicator is on a discrete input to the cluster. It's not a data signal, it's a simple power/ground LED circuit. If I remember right, the high beam switch grounds the circuit when the high beams are on. I'll have to look at the circuit closer but they could have possibly just put the LED on the board backwards! Whatever they did wrong, I'm pretty confident I could fix it myself if they can't. I might want to go into the unit to disable the quick shift light anyway. I did that on the stock cluster because it bugged me being on all the time.

Mobile phone Sports equipment Portable communications device Gadget Audio equipment

·
Registered
16 Posts
That’s interesting that your high beam is doing that. Seems Koso is having some kind of issue there since mine doesn’t come on at all. I contacted them yesterday about that and the air temperature but haven’t heard back yet. I’m on software version V1.09-RX4.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
So I realized the OAT temp IS displayed just not all time which unfortunate. I too contact Koso North America(that distinction is important) but haven’t heard anything back. Looking at all their social media posts and such they look like a small company. Below is where you can see the OAT:
Audio equipment Font Gadget Automotive lighting Gas

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I am thinking how this gauge will be centered (or not) on my ‘17?

I have considered getting the first gen instrument cluster bracket to bring it up, centered and closer to me, but fear my phone/Quadlock may interfere.
Map Font Rectangle Parallel Screenshot

Map Font Line Slope Schematic

Font Map Line Parallel Rectangle

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Aiming for something like this:
Motorcycle Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

also, for those that are curious. I plan on doing an unboxing video when my Koso arrives, so we know what is or isn’t in the box and how it arrives.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I made my own bracket since my setup isn't exactly stock. I finally got a chance to make the bracket and get it mounted last night, I'll be riding it today. I didn't do anything about the backwards high beam light but I'm not worrying about it myself since I know I can fix it.

BTW- The mounting of the Koso is NOT the same as the stock MT-09 cluster. I think their website shows that buying their bracket is required for mounting the RX-4 to the MT-09? I didn't even look at their brackets since I knew it wouldn't work for my setup. If you can drill holes, cut and bend aluminum, it's not that hard to make a mount for it. You can use the cardboard that the RX-4 is sitting on in the box as a template.

Light Hood Blue Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Hood Computer hardware Motor vehicle Circuit component Electrical wiring

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
@gmtech16450yz I really like the setup! What I thought was the Gauge was actually the associated Koso bracket. It uses the 14-16 Gen holes to mount on(and btw all 2nd Gen bikes have them as well). So once the gauge arrives tomorrow I can play with placement of my phone vs. gauge.

Bicycle part Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Rim Bumper

·
Registered
304 Posts
Well so far so good. I went for a couple hour ride today and the display worked ok. I really like how big and bright the speedo and gear position readouts are. It's nice to be able to see the actual rpm in decimal form but the bar graph is a little slow. Not a huge deal but if you try to use it for shifting right before the limiter you'll hit it before the graph shows it.

I still need to fix the backwards high beam indicator and I do really miss not having the outside air temp displayed all the time. The other little glitch is the day/night mode switches back and forth all the time unless the sun is fully overhead. I just manually selected day mode. I know that F Trip works since I was almost out of gas today. It comes up right under the gauge and reads the mileage in red digits. The low fuel light also comes on so it's hard to miss.

All in all, even with those little bugs, I think it's a huge upgrade from the hard to read stock display.

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Road surface Vehicle Asphalt

Motor vehicle Gadget Data storage device Automotive exterior Electronic device

·
Registered
16 Posts
Always wondered what those threaded holes were for. Didn’t know earlier gauges were mounted there. I agree with your assessment gmtech16450yz. Even the day/night mode thing. I set mine to day mode also. I still haven’t heard back from Koso about the high beams. They have a phone number so I’m gonna try to call them instead.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Does anyone know if it will work with a 2014 FZ-09? I'm very interested haha.
I did a few things to check on fitment for a 2014 FZ-09

1) Looked up the 2014 stock meter part # which is 1RC-83500-20-00
2) Contacted Koso and they verified that this part # is on the compatible parts list (compatible parts list image attached to this post)

So, by part numbers it is supported. But here's the rub.

3) Looked up Revzilla's fitment guide which says the Koso RX4 Meter won't work with model years prior to 2018 stock meter # BS2-83500-20-00 (which is also in Koso's supported parts list)
4) Looked up Revzilla's fitment guide which says the Koso RX4 mounting bracket won't fit model years prior to 2015 which has the same stock part number as the 2014 mounting bracket.

Not sure what's going on with Revzilla's fitment guides, they don't seem to make sense (then again, maybe they do, IDK).

Obviously, the 2014 doesn't have traction control or some of the other electronics as later models, but since the meter is on the Koso compatible parts list I'd assume those features/lights simply wouldn't function on the RX-4. As for the bracket (called the Meter Cover), I don't think there is a difference between 2014 and 2015 as they share the same part # 1RC-83559-00-00

All that said, It probably works on a 2014 and will allow for the use of the Koso manufactured centering bracket. I'd definitely buy from a merchant with a no-haggle return policy! I'm saving my allowance to buy one, I've recently updated the suspension and flashed the ECU. This would finish up my 2014 model refresh.

Font Rectangle Parallel Number Camera accessory

·
Registered
25 Posts
I double checked my original part number and it’s correct in the new gauge. And I don’t see the air temperature on the gauge anywhere but like you showed, it’s definitely in my directions. I’ll mention that as well when I talk to them.
Just a comment for clarity, the temperature is measured at the air intake and isn't the same as the ambient temperature.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Here is the unboxing vid:

·
Registered
2017 FZ-09
14 Posts
With the exception of the reversed hi beam indicator, I'm enjoying the display and it's features. I'm waiting for a response from KosoNA in regards to a fix and I'll post their solution.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
So far so, riding to get my custom bracket made tomorrow(currently ziptied and safety wired

·
Registered
2019 MT-09
2 Posts
Bumping this up with some info that may be useful to some ppl i guess? While taking apart my oem cluster to do the LCD inverted film swap, i saw www.ctetech.com.tw printed on the PCB of the oem gauge. I did some research and that link no longer works but there is a new link which i think is the same company. CTE TECH CORP. | Taiwantrade upon looking around, i recognized the new gen MT-07 gauge cluster found here Universal Digital LCD Motorcycle Speedometer, Dashboard | CTE TECH CORP. which leads me to believe this might be the oem manufacture for Yamaha gauges, which the Koso gauge also looks very similar to. Now only if they can provide the pin out to the OEM MT-09 Gen1/2 gauges then we can freely repin to other guages such as the one found on the MT-10, OR.... buy directly from them without paying the high price of the Koso units LOL

edit:
i just realize more oem gauges can be found
here is the XSR700/900 gauge
and this is for the new tirumph trident 660 i think
and this here is for some kawasaki models

41 - 56 of 56 Posts