Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 2 weeks of always having to remember to select the B Mode for around town after I start it, I'd like to see how many other people would like to see the software changed. I've nearly jerked myself off the bike when starting out in parking lots and going over speed bumps since the ECU always reverts to STD -- which should really be called "Sport." All the magazine riders agree that B mode is much safer and user friendly for normal riding. If enough FZ-09ers agree, maybe Yamaha will offer a ECU reflash update that will keep the mode the same when shut off and restarted - like my other bike (a BMW.) If we don't, then maybe they'll get the message after someone crashes due to the sudden instant throttle application and the attorneys get involved.
This 'fix' won't change any hardware or require anything other than a bit of programming. Folks who like STD or A see no difference. Hey Yamaha: You listening? Forum Folks, please chime in!!

·
Super Moderator
5,708 Posts
Not trying to rain on your parade, but you asked........so..........I'm perfectly content with the throttle response the way it is in all three modes. In standard or A mode, you have to be very smooth with the inputs to the right wrist. You also have to ride with a very lite grip on the bars, as you should anyway. Think of it as gripping it like you would to shake a baby's hand.

Reactions: bodypilot

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I definitely would like the computer to retain my last setting. I've always been annoyed when systems don't. However, that being said, the only way they'll do that is if they have some sort of power-off memory storage system already on board that has room for them to store the setting. If not, no software changes in the world will allow that. They'll simply have to make a hardware change, or set the program to default to B-mode instead of STD.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Yes, might be nice if the 09 would wake up to the last mode you used. My thoughts: make it part of your pre-flight check list.
Condition of bike...
Helmet...
Ignition on, start button.
Look at the instruments before putting the bike in gear. The trouble with this step is your mind will tend to go "I've seen that before" but not actually read what it is currently saying. Pay attention lol. Yeah, I have trouble with that one too.

My garage is a 1/4 mile from pavement, gravel, bumps, next-door-sister's psycho dog zoo, yeah, even after I get used to the 09 in other modes I plan on using Mode B that first 1/4. Then Yeee Haaa!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Like triplethreat said, use a very light grip on the bars and hang on very tightly with your legs. It's a 850cc sport bike, its gonna be snappy.

W

·
0 Posts
Yes, might be nice if the 09 would wake up to the last mode you used. My thoughts: make it part of your pre-flight check list.
That's the problem with these modes; you can't always remember what mode you are in. You think "B" mode and grab a handful and ouch! I don't like the concept, I'd like to have just one mode that's real smooth and controllable with all the power, all the time. I can't imagine dealing with something like an HP4 with heaven knows how many combinations of throttle, ABS, and traction control modes. It sounds very appealing to our app-crazy world and I am quite sure some riders think they can handle a 180 HP bike just by switching to rain mode and letting the ABS and traction control do their riding for them but it ain't so.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
That's the problem with these modes; you can't always remember what mode you are in. You think "B" mode and grab a handful and ouch! I don't like the concept, I'd like to have just one mode that's real smooth and controllable with all the power, all the time. I can't imagine dealing with something like an HP4 with heaven knows how many combinations of throttle, ABS, and traction control modes. It sounds very appealing to our app-crazy world and I am quite sure some riders think they can handle a 180 HP bike just by switching to rain mode and letting the ABS and traction control do their riding for them but it ain't so.
Agree, but might as well get use to it, it's here and for the future.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Id like to see it fixed. The throttle transition is no where as nice as my R1. Considering that every review of the bike and most of our own personal experience points to an issue, Yamaha should do something about it. I can ride around it, but why should we have to? The modes should be unchanged as far as how quickly they open the throttle (think software throttle cam). Its the smoothness of the transition when going from closed throttle that is the issue, not the response of the throttle.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Id like to see it fixed. The throttle transition is no where as nice as my R1. Considering that every review of the bike and most of our own personal experience points to an issue, Yamaha should do something about it. I can ride around it, but why should we have to? The modes should be unchanged as far as how quickly they open the throttle (think software throttle cam). Its the smoothness of the transition when going from closed throttle that is the issue, not the response of the throttle.
Oh yeah, I was referring to the different modes and tech. Even though I don't have mine yet I would agree with fixing the abrupt throttle issue (if it is really as bad as most suggest).

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have a Honda CRZ with drive modes. Econ reduces power and retards response to the throttle. Standard provides full power and a linear response to the throttle. Sport provides power and a ramped up non-linear response to the throttle. I would prefer that Yamaha adopt this approach instead of retard, ramped up non-linear and increased ramped up non-linear.

W

·
0 Posts
Agree, but might as well get use to it, it's here and for the future.
Yeah, as well as data boxes that record your ECU parameters and can be "made available to law enforcement". I guess I was not too surprised to read that in the manual for my GSX-R 750...I believe all motorcycles with an ECU (which is just about all m/c's) have this if they have the ability to do self-analysis and throw codes.

Speed restrictions seem to be more common these days too.

W

·
0 Posts
It's like the early FZ1's which were apparently quite bad. It was ultimately corrected. I noticed the 2006 YZF-R6 had great throttle response and it was one of the first to use YCC-t. It's got to be the cost of the ECU and outboard hardware. Everywhere they can save a dollar they will to keep the list price down. The retail price of the FZ-09 was the biggest piece of news about that bike and the most discussed feature when it all came down to brass tacks. There is nothing else new about it. Triples have been around for ages, the frame is similar to the FZ6, the monoshock is not innovative, and so on. The draw was that the package -- said to be the successor to the FZ8 -- was an amazing value. The ECU now remains as one of the things to be fixed by the aftermarket along with the suspension.

I for one look forward to Stoltec's progress with the Penske shock and forks and also want to see what can be done with the ECU! We may yet have a motorcycle here, gentlemen.

·
Super Moderator
5,708 Posts
I'm sorry, but I just don't see that there is anything to "fix"with the ECU except maybe removing the speed limit if there is one for sure.

Reactions: Fairbanksdmt

·
Super Moderator
5,708 Posts
I'll be watching Stoltec's progress on the suspension too.

W

·
0 Posts
I'm sorry, but I just don't see that there is anything to "fix"with the ECU except maybe removing the speed limit if there is one for sure.
LOL! Let's not forget the poor aftermarket gurus; they need to eat too! If it was me, what I'd like to see is a reflash with just a single, non-changeable mode that removes the speed limiter and smooths out the powerband without taking the fun out of it. The single set of butterflies makes things trickier.

·
Registered
570 Posts
LOL! Let's not forget the poor aftermarket gurus; they need to eat too! If it was me, what I'd like to see is a reflash with just a single, non-changeable mode that removes the speed limiter and smooths out the powerband without taking the fun out of it. The single set of butterflies makes things trickier.
Just to clarify:
You do not own an FZ-09.
You have never ridden an FZ-09.

Yet you have a seemingly endless need to pontificate on the alleged shortcomings of the FZ-09.
Triplethreat actually owns an FZ-09, has ridden it extensively and doesn't experience the shortcomings you relentlessly complain about.

Gosh, whose opinion should we pay more attention to?

1 - 20 of 96 Posts