Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Seems Yamaha has the throttle cables too loose and the rear chains too tight.

Admittedly, a new chain will loosen a bit when the grease is pushed out in the 1st run.

Still, there have been multiple posts about tight chains.

Bike # 2 ( with factory cross threaded fork cap ) was bow string tight, on the rear stand.

Took about 4 flats / 2/3rds turn out to get acceptable slack.

Reactions: fz0976

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A lot of the low speed twitchy throttles can be cured, somewhat, by taking the slack up .

It is a 2 cable system , so zero lash is not only ok , but makes control more precise.

I took out almost 1/4 inch slack with the inline cable adjuster on handlebar.

Reactions: fz0976

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ran the swinarm thru it's travel when I had the rear shock off to confirm the <0.5 in slack is correct.
.5 or 1/2 inch slack may be correct, but my bike was bow string tight, and you would have to pull the hell out of it to get 1/2 inch.

With normal up and down pull, my bike was zero slack, but I've only been doing this for over 40 years . :cool:

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
With normal up and down pull, my bike was zero slack, but I've only been doing this for over 40 years .
so how much slack did you set it to with a normal up and down pull? 0.5"?

i wish the throttle close cable had adjusters on it. i prefer a heavier throttle pull and that can be done on bikes that have adjusters on their close cables.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
so how much slack did you set it to with a normal up and down pull? 0.5"?
The .5 inch setting would be with the swingarm front sprocket, pivot , and rear axle in line.

That would be the position with the least slack.

Now for my FZ 09 to be bow string tight at normal low position would be even worse when in line.

I guess one solution would be shown in another bike in the stable that has the front sprocket

running around the swingarm pivot so rear axle is always in line.

...........and if you think the throttle is wonky on the FZ 09 ............ :cool:

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
The .5 inch setting would be with the swingarm front sprocket, pivot , and rear axle in line.

That would be the position with the least slack.

Now for my FZ 09 to be bow string tight at normal low position would be even worse when in line.

I guess one solution would be shown in another bike in the stable that has the front sprocket

running around the swingarm pivot so rear axle is always in line.

...........and if you think the throttle is wonky on the FZ 09 ............ :cool:
What is that?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I'm not even sure what to say, that thing is insane. Is this you!? The yellow looks familiar

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Y2k jet bike like Leno has.
"Oh.....yeah....I have a jet bike,....no big deal". Lol

Very subtle, I give in...what's your backstory? Are you some kind of evil genius?...dot com millionaire? How do you manage your mc playground?

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
lol, how common is the name Dolan and how common are jet bikes? What are the chances it isn't him?
Only 18 of the bikes in the world.

Only 2 with passenger seat / pegs.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
"Oh.....yeah....I have a jet bike,....no big deal". Lol

Very subtle, I give in...what's your backstory? Are you some kind of evil genius?...dot com millionaire? How do you manage your mc playground?
Bike wrench , 1970 ' s

Bike shop 1980 to 1993

Real estate 1994 till now.

110 bikes. ...... From 1908 to 2014 models.

I do the Skunk Werkz projects and some maintanance.

Some of my current construction guys used to work at my bike shop.

They sometimes work on bikes on Saturday.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
637 Posts
Dolan, I hear you have to be careful not to melt car bumpers with those. ;)

MTT Turbine Superbike - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Interesting, I see the engines used are "end of FAA life without major overhaul" items. I wonder what was done to the engines before installing in the frame, other than the HP de-rating? Typically that means the blades and sometimes the disks have met their creep life limits. The engines "should" contain a blade failure, but if a wheel lets go...
P.S. The turbine wheels are not doing 6000 rpm. More like 50,000 rpm or higher

·
Registered
666 Posts
A lot of the low speed twitchy throttles can be cured, somewhat, by taking the slack up .

It is a 2 cable system , so zero lash is not only ok , but makes control more precise.

I took out almost 1/4 inch slack with the inline cable adjuster on handlebar.
They had mine set up from factory with no cable lash. I can't imagine how herky-jerky the bike would feel with loose cables... yeesh!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just checked mine last night, and not only was the cable loose but the lock nut wasn't even tightened down so it theoretically could loosen while riding... got it all tightened up and it makes quite a bit of difference, especially throttle off to on in first and second... definitely recommend checking this! Thanks for the heads up guys, I love my bike even more now :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts