1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
196 Posts
Why not link to other forums? There's a vast knowledge base of bikes out there that cannot be found here.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
because this forum is ultimately a business, and linking to other forums is like free advertising for their competitors...it makes sense, really.
I think this forum is quite liberal in their polices overall, but preventing forum links is just a bit of self-preservation.

I also suggest that you just copy-paste from the other forum

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Almost every forum that I'm on (and I'm on a bunch) do NOT allow linking to other forums. You are more than welcome to stay and enjoy the best FZ09 forum on the internet, but if you feel that strongly about the linking issue and cannot deal with the forum rules, then we wish you well.

Oh, and BTW.....you put this in the wrong forum section if you are referencing the FZ09.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It would surely be fun if Yamaha used this strategy to gain market share by preventing
people from mentioning competing bikes, such as ***** which I am sure most folks
compared to the FZ07, and even a few test rode.

I chose Yamaha because they went all out and heavily invested in R&D unlike *****
which has raided teir parts bin dry. Their money seems to be spent only on advertising these days.
OTOH, ****** **** is a sensible option but it's a bit heavy, poorer handler and is really an old model dressed
in a new dress. If you got the dough, ***** arguably makes a better bike but
they're too absorbed in self image and are too overpriced for what you get.
But you gotta give them credit, that suspension is divine. Well that could be fixed, and
it would be a smart option to install a shock from ****** on our beloved model.

Cheers!
w/w

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Let me ask you a question......when is the last time you went to a Chevy website for new cars and clicked on a link that took you to a Ford page or a Toyota page or a ????? page?

·
Registered
833 Posts
It would surely be fun if Yamaha used this strategy to gain market share by preventing
people from mentioning competing bikes, such as ***** which I am sure most folks
compared to the FZ07, and even a few test rode.

I chose Yamaha because they went all out and heavily invested in R&D unlike *****
which has raided teir parts bin dry. Their money seems to be spent only on advertising these days.
OTOH, ****** **** is a sensible option but it's a bit heavy, poorer handler and is really an old model dressed
in a new dress. If you got the dough, ***** arguably makes a better bike but
they're too absorbed in self image and are too overpriced for what you get.
But you gotta give them credit, that suspension is divine. Well that could be fixed, and
it would be a smart option to install a shock from ****** on our beloved model.

Cheers!
w/w
Panties in a bunch over nothing... Rules are rules even if you don't like them. What is with the "new guys" lately? Sheeesh!

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Panties in a bunch over nothing... Rules are rules even if you don't like them. What is with the "new guys" lately? Sheeesh!
Seriously, the forum used to be great. Now there's a bunch of people whining about completely stupid crap.

·
Registered
474 Posts
:pain10::pain10::pain10:

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
It is kinda silly when you stop and think about it. Because you can copy and paste or just direct someone there. It is kinda like a county putting a stop sign at an intersection in the middle of nowhere. Sure the rule is to make a complete stop, but as a practical matter, no one is going to do that. I see the reasoning why the administration wants to block cross referencing to maximize traffic here for advertisement purposes. I am all for that because they do not collect a fee for membership, but from a pragmatic standpoint, it is kinda silly. Because only in theory can you stop people from referencing other sites.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Seriously, the forum used to be great. Now there's a bunch of people whining about completely stupid crap.
Yeah... I've definitely reduced my participation level lately. Looks like the "internet" has found our little moto forum utopia.

It is kinda silly when you stop and think about it. Because you can copy and paste or just direct someone there. It is kinda like a county putting a stop sign at an intersection in the middle of nowhere. Sure the rule is to make a complete stop, but as a practical matter, no one is going to do that. I see the reasoning why the administration wants to block cross referencing to maximize traffic here for advertisement purposes. I am all for that because they do not collect a fee for membership, but from a pragmatic standpoint, it is kinda silly. Because only in theory can you stop people from referencing other sites.
Is it possible? Sure....

Is it poor forum etiquette? Absolutely.

·
Vendor
2,394 Posts
The larger the site gets (which it will double and triple in size) the more interesting folk we will see.
It's just the way it goes.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Then it's a matter of weeding out the bad seeds from those who will participate and help.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
The larger the site gets (which it will double and triple in size) the more interesting folk we will see.
It's just the way it goes.
Guess I'm going to have to ask for a raise then!:cool:

Reactions: eolith

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, perhaps I was wrong and a bit impatient, so help me figure it out...

From what I see, people did lots of research on aftermarket turn signals, but that happened to be posted on a different forum... therefore, linking to all that information is not helpful. And, is in fact, poor forum etiquette. Ok, guys, I'm sorry.

Then, as I understand, a collective happy family on this forum shall reinvent the wheel and do, by trial and error, what has been already researched to death and settled elsewhere, but we're not supposed to know about it, because that would be... er, improper, praticularly because that elsewhere happens to be on another forum (anathema to them). And if a few bad apples from this readership, of poor moral standing, choose to visit "that" thread in their off-hours, under the blanket, in a different browser, that's their private buisiness.... but God forbid they ever link to it here... that would be a bad form, you know.

Well, rules are rules, who I am to argue? But then, logically speaking, shall we not prevent any valuable threads on this forum from being cross-referenced from other places? Or our ethiquette is it supposed to work one way only? Folks, I'm lost!

·
Registered
570 Posts
I work in marketing, and the number one rule for websites is don't provide links that take the reader off the current site and on to another. It's very difficult to get people to visit a given website, so you don't want to then make it easy for people to leave the site and then get distracted and not come back. The solution, in marketing terms anyway, is to have the linked-to site open in a new browser window. That way the original site is still showing in the browser; when the reader is finished looking at the material in the linked-to site, they just close the window and then they are right back to looking at the original site they were on before they clicked the link.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Ok, perhaps I was wrong and a bit impatient, so help me figure it out...

From what I see, people did lots of research on aftermarket turn signals, but that happened to be posted on a different forum... therefore, linking to all that information is not helpful. And, is in fact, poor forum etiquette. Ok, guys, I'm sorry.

Then, as I understand, a collective happy family on this forum shall reinvent the wheel and do, by trial and error, what has been already researched to death and settled elsewhere, but we're not supposed to know about it, because that would be... er, improper, praticularly because that elsewhere happens to be on another forum (anathema to them). And if a few bad apples from this readership, of poor moral standing, choose to visit "that" thread in their off-hours, under the blanket, in a different browser, that's their private buisiness.... but God forbid they ever link to it here... that would be a bad form, you know.

Well, rules are rules, who I am to argue? But then, logically speaking, shall we not prevent any valuable threads on this forum from being cross-referenced from other places? Or our ethiquette is it supposed to work one way only? Folks, I'm lost!
Dude, what is wrong with you?...honestly? We dont make the rules of the world, we just play by them. Is there no other way to communicate the info you found on the other forum here on this forum? Have you ever used a computer before? Are you 85 yo? No...ok...then you know how to highlight text, press ctrl-C, and then press ctrl-V

It's really quite easy. No one expects this forum to independently re-do all the work. Or YOU could step up, and be a contributor...and compile all of the info into one, cogent, new thread..and become a valuable contributor here. That's what many people here do for the benefit of the community...is they spend a little personal time and compile info for all to see. Yeah it would be easier to link the other thread...but you can't do it. With all the time you've spent bitching about the rules (that exist everywhere)...you could have made the new, good thread, and be a hero.

Your options are:
A. Keep complaining here and accomplish nothing
B. quit the Internet and go Live in the woods
C. Make the new thread like I said, and do a little work, and actually do something good with your life (at least with those 15 min that you spend)
D. Leave this forum for good because you can't take the oppression
E. did I miss anything?

Seriously man, grow up and make a difference without being so negative...you'll feel better in the end

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I know it's early, but I'm declaring this: "Post Of The Day!!!" :icon_thumright:

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
another new member who likes piss in his cheerios.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.