Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some Rizoma turn signals and it has an install option for different stock set ups. It lists 4 different schemes or schema for any Frenchies out there. It lists several Yamahas but no FZ09.
Scheme 1 is for LED
Scheme 2 is for less than 10 watt bulbs
scheme 3 is for 21 watt bulbs
Scheme 4 is for 10 watt bulbs

So does anyone no what the front and rear stock bulb wattage is or where to find out?

I was also wondering if anyone knows what the wire colors are on the stock signals? I have a green, a blue, and a black. I'm figuring black is ground but does anyone know which is turn signal and which is running light between blue and green?

Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I bought some Rizoma turn signals and it has an install option for different stock set ups. It lists 4 different schemes or schema for any Frenchies out there. It lists several Yamahas but no FZ09.
Scheme 1 is for LED
Scheme 2 is for less than 10 watt bulbs
scheme 3 is for 21 watt bulbs
Scheme 4 is for 10 watt bulbs

So does anyone no what the front and rear stock bulb wattage is or where to find out?

I was also wondering if anyone knows what the wire colors are on the stock signals? I have a green, a blue, and a black. I'm figuring black is ground but does anyone know which is turn signal and which is running light between blue and green?

Thanks in advance for your input.
The specs for the bulbs will be in the manual you got with your bike.

This is from my turn signal thread.

I cut the stock Yamaha connectors off of the stock turn signals and soldered them onto the new turn signals after cutting off the bullet connectors. If you choose to, you could simply solder the new signals into the wiring harness. I recommend changing to stock Yamaha connectors.

Note: the black wire on the stock signal connector is the ground wire. Black wire on the new signals is the ground wire also. I believe the power for the turn signals on the stock Yamaha signal connector is a brown wire for the left (clutch) side of the bike, and a green wire for the right (throttle) side of the bike.I used a test light to check the wiring for ground/power, I recommend you do as well, my memory aint what it used to be.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The specs for the bulbs will be in the manual you got with your bike
I didn't get one. The service guy swears he put it in there, but all I had under the seat was the tool kit. It's been ordered since November, but still no manual so no way to look up bulb wattage on my own.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
stock turn signal bulbs are 21w. it only matters if you're going to keep the stock flasher relay - rizoma includes the appropriate load resistors to keep the flash rate the same. if you're going to use an electronic flasher relay, then just get whichever rizoma setup is cheapest (if there's a difference in price).

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
don't remember the color of the running light wire offhand, but it's easy to figure out. just compare the wire colors for both sides of the front turn signals. there will be two colors that are the same on both sides - black (ground) and another color. that other color is the running light wire.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info. The Rizomas came with two resistors and three different configurations on how to install depending on stock bulb wattage. I'm only half ass competent when it comes to this kind of stuff. Basically I can follow directions, but I don't have enough knowledge to know when or how to improvise. If that makes sense.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Thanks for the info. The Rizomas came with two resistors and three different configurations on how to install depending on stock bulb wattage.
the way i installed my rizomas was, i used this electronic flasher relay with these yamaha oem turn signal connectors. i didn't install any of the resistors since they're not necessary with the electronic flasher.

if you don't want to spend any more money, wire it up with the 21w resistor load. you'll know if you got it wrong if the rizomas blink too fast.

·
Registered
11 Posts
don't remember the color of the running light wire offhand, but it's easy to figure out. just compare the wire colors for both sides of the front turn signals. there will be two colors that are the same on both sides - black (ground) and another color. that other color is the running light wire.
My 2016 has the same wire colors for both front signals: Red, Blue, and Brown. I'm set to solder the Proton 500 signals on but there seems to be some contradicting info on the internet. :S Help please!

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
My 2016 has the same wire colors for both front signals: Red, Blue, and Brown. I'm set to solder the Proton 500 signals on but there seems to be some contradicting info on the internet. :S Help please!
My advice...Use a DMM. You should NEVER go connecting wires without testing, regardless of what someone told you which colour does what.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'll look into getting one and learning how to use it. What is the danger of connecting the wires without using a multimeter? I'm not saying I'm in the right, but I used trial and error to figure out the correct wires and everything works fine.

Thanks for the quick reply! :)

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I'll look into getting one and learning how to use it. What is the danger of connecting the wires without using a multimeter? I'm not saying I'm in the right, but I used trial and error to figure out the correct wires and everything works fine.

Thanks for the quick reply! :)
In this case, likely the worst thing that could happen is you would blow a fuse. A cheap multi-meter will be a great addition to your tool box.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts