Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Instrumentation and Electrical are not my biggest strong suits... I went to install my led signals, i cut the oem wire so i could utilize the old plastic connector and spliced it together to what seemed like a sound crimp connection.
Then i plugged it in and tested it and it worked for a good minute.

But then... It stopped working, the front turn signals are just lit permenantly and the rear ones dont light at all... I hit the signals and the hazzards and nothing... Checked the power on all the fuses with a little fuse checker and they all seemed okay, unless the fuse for that is in another location.

Has anyone experienced this?... If someone has a solution or an idea of whats causing it i would be greatly appreciative.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
There are fuses in the right hand fake air scoop and under the seat.

The stock front signals are both turn signals and running lights, which wires did you connect to the LED signals?

Which solution are you using for the lesser power draw of the LEDs? Basically either you need a new flasher relay or resistors.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the rear turn signals completely unplugged now and the front ones Are not working and when i plug back in oem rear signals i get nothing now

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are fuses in the right hand fake air scoop and under the seat.

The stock front signals are both turn signals and running lights, which wires did you connect to the LED signals?

Which solution are you using for the lesser power draw of the LEDs? Basically either you need a new flasher relay or resistors.
I cut the old wires off of the oem so i could make the wire length longer for leds and just keep that plastic connector as the connection, crimped wires onto those little bullet crimps that came with led.

And i have the phillips led relay that i planned to install after... Looks like the running lights in front signals luminate, but they seemingly just stay lit.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Please post a link to the signals you bought.

What color LED wires did you connect to which original wires?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wire Cable Technology Electronic device I cut the wires of the oem black and brown to add length to leds (yellow/black) ... I stripped the the wires and exposed copper and inserted black to black, and yellow to brown, then crimped the little bullet closed, pulled on it a bit to test crimp then taped it up.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Ok so you're talking about the rear signals then, since the connector is only 2 wire. Did you try reversing the wires and see if it helps? Maybe the LED polarity is wrong??

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Ok so you're talking about the rear signals then, since the connector is only 2 wire. Did you try reversing the wires and see if it helps? Maybe the LED polarity is wrong??
Yes the rear signals, the problem is, now nothing works, i have to fix something before i can even approach installing the leds correctly, after i disconnectedthe rear ones, the front ones still operated and now they dont, and now i plug oem rear signal back in and it does nothing, im not sure which fuse is the 'all' signals, k checked what i think is all of them under the seat but i will have to look under air scoop tomorrow morning and check them i guess.

I really appreciate you guys having payience with me.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Yea best bet is to confirm all the fuses are good and then start from the beginning. The rear should be very simple and what you did is how I've always done it without having issues. For the front you just need to make sure that you get the correct wires if using 2 wire signals now as well.

Also, it's a pain in the ass, but it's good practice to disconnect the battery when doing electrical work so you can avoid shorts and blowing fuses.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Grrr @ Yamaha, the stock wires are different colors after the go through the connectors. In the link above the colors are for the harness side, so here are the colors on the signal side of the connector.

The blue wires for the original lights are for the running lights, do not use them, seal the off so they can't short out.

The grey connector is the left front connector.
The black connector is the right.

Both connectors have black wires, that is ground, negative. Connect the black LED wires to these.

Both have blue wires, that is the running lights.

The grey(left) connector has a medium brown wire for the left signal. Yellow to that.

The black connector has a green wire for the right signal. Yellow to that.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea best bet is to confirm all the fuses are good and then start from the beginning. The rear should be very simple and what you did is how I've always done it without having issues. For the front you just need to make sure that you get the correct wires if using 2 wire signals now as well.

Also, it's a pain in the ass, but it's good practice to disconnect the battery when doing electrical work so you can avoid shorts and blowing fuses.
It was in fact the fuse... Turn signal fuse is 2nd from the left in the fuse box under right air scoop.

·
Registered
172 Posts
When I installed my LED's I thought I had everything correct, wires matching colors, and nothing worked. Then I read on here that you won't blow a fuse by mixing LED wires. So I just started connecting different combos of wire. It's amazing to me that the wire color is wrong. I have black hooked up to red, and everything has been working fine now for the past month. I also installed a rumble concepts flasher relay.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I'd remove the crimp connections and instead slip some heat shrink tube over the wires, connect them, solder them, then heat the shrink tube. If you don't want to go that route then use posilock connectors. The electrical systems on modern bikes are just too sensitive to be using crimp connectors anymore. Also - get an LED relay - don't ever use resisters...

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I actually just had a sloppy crimp on the bullet crimp that came with led, i bought the crimps with the shrink tubes around them and folded the wire over on itself to thicken the copper being crimped, then shrunk the tube around it.. I dont have a soldering gun as i left it at my parents house when i was transitioning apartments.

Seems to be working now... I have to install the phillips led relay i have now... Was a little busy this weekend so only did the rear ones, ill hand signal my turns until i make time for fronts and relay.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have TST front turn signals and stock rear turn signals.
Everything has been working great for months. Today I noticed none of them work anymore (turning the hazard switch on does nothing as well).

In the right scoop if I remove the 7.5A for turn signals the horn doesn't work but if I don't leave it in there the horn works just fine. That should mean that the fuse is not blown correct?
Is it normal the the horn is affected by the fuse from the turn signals? And mostly what could be the reason the turn signals stopped working?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts