Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Vendor
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what the turn signal connectors are?
I will be working on a custom tail tidy for the FZ and I want to make it plug and play.

I'm away from home so I can't look myself.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Are these bad boys the same for the front and rear?

They make two types. The front blinkers are three wire for running lights, and the rear are two wire just for blinkers. The three wire adapter will work for both but you will have one extra wire in the back that is not plugged to anything that you will want to waterproof or terminate.

·
Vendor
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Holy hell... $10 shipping on a $9 part.
Anyone know if there is a place I can just buy the connector itself for cheaper?

·
Registered
389 Posts
This is quite frustrating. I purchased the DMP connectors as well, have them hooked up, but my signals still do not work. I have a yellow and black coming from the signals. The yellow is plugged into the red on the adapter, and the black to the black. My mind is boggled....

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Do you one of those electric test meters? Your signals are LED? I asked the other day, if the polarity to the LED is wrong it won't light. Each signal has a solid black wire? That should be negative.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I'll look around and see if I have one. Yes, they are LEDs. I figured it would be solid black to solid black. But then there's the red and the black with white stripe wire. They still don't seem to be working. GAR!

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I just got some LED signals, to test their brightness etc I'm going touch them to a 12v battery before installing.

The stock signal bulbs are 21 watts, LEDs are far less, that has to be accounted for. Which signals did you get? I guess some have a built in resistor. If not you need to add a resistor for each signal, or the way I went, a blinker relay that replaces the the stock one.

But the way I understand it if you don't do that the LED signals will blink, just a lot faster.

·
Registered
389 Posts
They are the Yamaha LED blinkers. They came with two resistors for each signal, but I already have a relay installed from the aftermarket taillight and rear signals.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hahahahaha nevermind. I figured it out. The adapter's wiring is all wonky. When it is plugged in correctly and locks, the positive lines up with the ground...I'm literally laughing like a mad scientist right now because of the headache it has caused me. GOSH! So right now the plugs are turned one slot and pushed in, but not locked. I'll decide later whether I feel like switching wires around.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hahaha it's an honest mistake :rolleyes:

I just ended up putting it in the locked position and matching the wires from there. So red goes to negative and yada yada. Whatevs. It works, right?

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
It was so wonky, I had to flowchart the wires, and use an idiot light to get it right. I have handguard blinkers tied into regular blinkers, tied into the factory wiring in the front. Both of them had different color wires than standard.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2017 FZ09 and am switching out the front and rear pumpkins....I just cannot figure out what stock colored wire goes to what aftermarket blinker wire....FRONT LEFT OEM WIRES: Black, dark brown, & light brown to mate up with red, blue, and black on new signals.RIGHT FRONT:green, black, light brown match with Same red, blue, and black, RIGHT REAR OEM;BLACK & brown matching with red, black, and yellow..and finally REAR LEFT OEM wires:green & BLACK to mate with:same red, black, and yellow...help....exasperated...PLEASE ADVISE ON WHAT COLOR GOES WITH WHAT COLOR.....CHEERS AND THANKS

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a 2017 FZ09 and am switching out the front and rear pumpkins....I just cannot figure out what stock colored wire goes to what aftermarket blinker wire....FRONT LEFT OEM WIRES: Black, dark brown, & light brown to mate up with red, blue, and black on new signals.RIGHT FRONT:green, black, light brown match with Same red, blue, and black, RIGHT REAR OEM;BLACK & brown matching with red, black, and yellow..and finally REAR LEFT OEM wires:green & BLACK to mate with:same red, black, and yellow...help....exasperated...PLEASE ADVISE ON WHAT COLOR GOES WITH WHAT COLOR.....CHEERS AND THANKS
Here is a helpful thread: https://www.fz09.org/forum/32-yamaha-fz-09-guides-how-s/9032-blinker-wiring-cheat-sheet.html

·
Registered
1 Posts
They make two types. The front blinkers are three wire for running lights, and the rear are two wire just for blinkers. The three wire adapter will work for both but you will have one extra wire in the back that is not plugged to anything that you will want to waterproof or terminate.
If you are using the the three wire adapter for the rear, do you connect the Red wire to the Red wire and then the Black and White wire to the Black wire and then terminate the solid black wire?
Thank you

1 - 19 of 19 Posts