Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure that someone else has already posted something along the same line on here. But does anyone have any good information about after market turn signals or a nice brake/ turn set up?

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'm sure that someone else has already posted something along the same line on here. But does anyone have any good information about after market turn signals or a nice brake/ turn set up?
It's largely down to taste. Check out my build thread in my signature for some ideas, and search the forum for more ideas. Customled.com also makes a pretty nice single unit tail, but do your homework!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Search is your friend!

That being said, I really like the MotoDynamic flush mount fronts with the motodynamic integrated tail light. Though if you go that route I'd suggest you pick up some LED flashers from tripageLED and replace the LED resistors with those.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I saw a couple sets on ebay and the didn't look to bad but i wasn't sure about the fit. Also, does anyone know if the rear turn signals are supposed to be running lights? After doing the fender eliminator i noticed that the front turn signals were running lights and the rear weren't. Didn't remember if the were before the fender eliminator and I did something wrong. Thanks again.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. I saw a couple sets on ebay and the didn't look to bad but i wasn't sure about the fit. Also, does anyone know if the rear turn signals are supposed to be running lights? After doing the fender eliminator i noticed that the front turn signals were running lights and the rear weren't. Didn't remember if the were before the fender eliminator and I did something wrong. Thanks again.
No, running lights in the rear can only be red, so there are only 2 wires leading to the rear lights. Don't let the 3-pronged connector fool you. I have an electrical issue with my Graves front LED lights that back-feeds voltage through the circuit somehow to my rear lights, so I have rear running lights by accident. I love it, tho.

·
Registered
418 Posts
The best taillight out there is the Custom LED. So much brighter than the others available. The Motodynamic is cheaper, but people have issues with it overheating if you have your flashers on. Its a lot cheaper than the Custom LED, but the difference in price won't buy you anything to repair your bike if the harness catches fire or something along those lines. I have Rizoma Action front turn signals. They run about $60 each but are the brightest thing out there. At night at 60+ ft they reflect off street signs. They really compliment the lines of the FZ09 very well.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
The best taillight out there is the Custom LED. So much brighter than the others available. The Motodynamic is cheaper, but people have issues with it overheating if you have your flashers on. Its a lot cheaper than the Custom LED, but the difference in price won't buy you anything to repair your bike if the harness catches fire or something along those lines. I have Rizoma Action front turn signals. They run about $60 each but are the brightest thing out there. At night at 60+ ft they reflect off street signs. They really compliment the lines of the FZ09 very well.
In all fairness, I posted a fix for the M.D. resistor getting hot issue....and M.D. is working on their own solution as well. I can't comment on brightness of one over the other, as I've not compared my M.D. to a CustomLED tailight side by side.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
In all fairness, I posted a fix for the M.D. resistor getting hot issue....and M.D. is working on their own solution as well. I can't comment on brightness of one over the other, as I've not compared my M.D. to a CustomLED tailight side by side.
If I rode up to TN we could race and I have No doubt you'd get a great view of my CustomLED Taillight as I stay about 50 yards ahead of you......!!! :laughing4:

:blob1::blob1::blob1::blob1::blob1::blob1::blob1::blob1::blob1::blob1::blob1:

Reactions: triplethreat

·
Registered
406 Posts
The resistors getting hot will happen with any led light that uses those type of inline resistors when the flashers are on. The correct way to fix this is to use an electronic flasher relay. Then you just remove the inline resistors. You can get the relay online, or in stores for $10-$20. I would use this with any led's no matter who makes them.

·
Registered
313 Posts
The best taillight out there is the Custom LED. So much brighter than the others available. The Motodynamic is cheaper, but people have issues with it overheating if you have your flashers on. Its a lot cheaper than the Custom LED, but the difference in price won't buy you anything to repair your bike if the harness catches fire or something along those lines.
The fix to the aforementioned problem takes 2 minutes with a pocket knife. You cut out a couple resistors.

The Motodynamic feels solid, looks great, works without issues, is extremely bright, and if you're into smoked lenses or sequential turn signals, it comes with them.

The CustomLED costs $60 more but comes with a more complex control unit ( 10 programmable strobe modes for the brake light, and that contrasting turn signal thing they do).

Weigh out the pros and cons and make your purchase based on your needs. Does the CustomLED have more features than the MotoDynamic? Yes.

Is being able to choose whether your brake light strobes 4 or 7 times before it goes solid worth $60? For me it was not.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
The resistors getting hot will happen with any led light that uses those type of inline resistors when the flashers are on. The correct way to fix this is to use an electronic flasher relay. Then you just remove the inline resistors. You can get the relay online, or in stores for $10-$20. I would use this with any led's no matter who makes them.
Is this the thing that converts the LED Rapid Flashing lights to flash Normally...???

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
If I rode up to TN we could race and I have No doubt you'd get a great view of my CustomLED Taillight as I stay about 50 yards ahead of you......!!! :laughing4:

:blob1::blob1::blob1::blob1::blob1::blob1::blob1::blob1::blob1::blob1::blob1:
:laughing4: You've obviously mistaken me for someone else.......I too have a Rapid Red Monster FZ. Besides, with that list of mods on your bike, it probably weighs about 50lbs more than mine.....not counting my Arrow exhaust and tires filled with helium.....all good for approx 10 more HP and at least.....50lbs lighter. Come on up and I'll give you a VERY quick tour of Deals Gap!.....or you can meet me at Barber the weekend of Sept. 27/28th and I'll give you a VERY quick tour of the 2.4 mile, 16 turn world class facility there. :pottytrain2: :lips:

Reactions: 24v and Steve101

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Thanks. I don't know one thing from another, but I bought mine at CustomLED a few months ago. I still don't know what they called it, but it was plug 'n play. Just removed the stock relay(?). :eagerness:

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
:laughing4: You've obviously mistaken me for someone else.......I too have a Rapid Red Monster FZ. Besides, with that list of mods on your bike, it probably weighs about 50lbs more than mine.....not counting my Arrow exhaust and tires filled with helium.....all good for approx 10 more HP and at least.....50lbs lighter. Come on up and I'll give you a VERY quick tour of Deals Gap!.....or you can meet me at Barber the weekend of Sept. 27/28th and I'll give you a VERY quick tour of the 2.4 mile, 16 turn world class facility there. :pottytrain2: :lips:

Haha. You give "quick" tours.....I'll give you a Rapid tour...:pottytrain2:

·
Registered
406 Posts
Thanks. I don't know one thing from another, but I bought mine at CustomLED a few months ago. I still don't know what they called it, but it was plug 'n play. Just removed the stock relay(?). :eagerness:
Sorry, didn't realize you already had it. Basically the stock one is a physical switch that clicks back and forth and relies on the resistance of the lights to maintain the normal speed. When there is less resistance the switch is able to move more freely so it goes faster. The one you have now is a circuit board with no moving parts, so it doesn't rely on resistance.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
OK, I'm goin out on a limb here and saying.........Electricity isn't your stong suite! :cool:

Reactions: 24v and Steve101

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
OK, I'm goin out on a limb here and saying.........Electricity isn't your stong suite! :cool:
Afta Red to Red, Black to Black, and Green to Green, it's all a mystery. :rolleyes:

Reactions: VERSYS8 and 24v

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Afta Red to Red, Black to Black, and Green to Green, it's all a mystery. :rolleyes:
Yea, I hear ya! When I first got my apprenticeship back in 1977, I was working with a Journeyman and he told me.....
"Hey kid, This Electricity stuff just ain't that hard.....ya got one wire a comin' and one wire a goin". Basically he's correct, but sometimes it's a LOT more complicated than that! I've been a Journeyman since 1980 and it seems like a fella just never stops learning........if you care about your trade!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts