Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to change the front turn signal "running lights" into just a blinker like the rear turn signals? I simply just don't want the front turn signal lights on all the time. I want them to just blink like the rear tail lights do when i turn. One idea would be to trace the front turn signal wires back to their origin near the battery presumably and then disconnect them from where ever they are attached to and integrating them into the rear turn signal wires. I do not know if there would be any repercussion from this and this is also kind of messy. The purpose for this is because it would give the bike a more sleek look and when you go to turn IMO a bright orange light that gets lit up on one side and flashes would be more eye catching than lights on both sides of the bike and then one flashes on one side of the bike. This is how my 09 zx6 operates and going out on a limb all other sport bikes. The only other bikes that have turn signal running lights are harleys!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Do you have stock signals/bulbs?

If so, I'm pretty sure they're dual fillament (3 wires to the turn signal stock). You'd just need to cut the one wire that operates the running light fillament of the bulb.

If you put LED lights in the front, most of them are two wire. They will only flash when you signal, and be off the rest of the time. (this can be changed with the addition of a blinker genie).

·
Registered
657 Posts
I have two wires that go to my turn signal and they r the oem lights.
Two wires to the front? I know the back only has two wires.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I just checked. Front is 3 wire. Snip the running light wire and you're golden.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
If you don't want to make it permanent by cutting the turn signal wire, take the bulb out and put a small piece of electrical tape on the bottom of the bulb, on the little silver colored dot that is the terminal for the blinker. If you ever decide to put it back to stock, pull the bulb out and remove the tape. Done!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So what do you know? it worked. IF YOU DO NOT WANT YOUR FRONT BLINKER/RUNNING LIGHTS ON there is a way of turning the running lights off and just making them blinkers. If you are using the oem blinkers the easiest way is to pull the light bulb out. Take electrical tape and cover the center two prongs on the light bulb and stick it back in and slap it all together.

Thanks triplethreat and buck.

If you are cheap and plan on blacking out your entire bike like me using the oem blinkers, check out the pics in my profile of what i did with my lights with this additional mod.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Nice work! Inexpensive/free mods are the best! :toothy9:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Is there a replacement bulb that would do the same thing as taping over the center pins?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I may have answered my own question. I thought I would just swap around the front & rear bulbs (the rear bulbs only have a single filament). Turns out they don't fit. The locating/locking tabs on the front & rear bulbs are different.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just bought a bike, the front turn signals don’t flash, they only DRLS could I do the tape trick with these aftermarket ones?

·
Vendor
772 Posts
The signals you have posted only have 2 wires. They are probably wired incorrect as that is the way the seller has customers do this. If you just want them as signals wire them to the signal and ground on the front and you might also need a signal flasher relay if the signal speed is really fast. This will slow the rate back down to factory. If you want to make those signals running/signal this can be done with our electronic 3/2 conversion. Wire to the converter and plug into 3 pin connection on the bike and your done. TripageLED.com

·
Registered
48 Posts
The signals you have posted only have 2 wires. They are probably wired incorrect as that is the way the seller has customers do this. If you just want them as signals wire them to the signal and ground on the front and you might also need a signal flasher relay if the signal speed is really fast. This will slow the rate back down to factory. If you want to make those signals running/signal this can be done with our electronic 3/2 conversion. Wire to the converter and plug into 3 pin connection on the bike and your done. TripageLED.com
Awesome info! I’ll have to get that with the Gold LED if that group buy happens!

·
Vendor
772 Posts
Thanks.. Also if you find those signals aren't bright enough you can get these. They are plug n play and have running light function. Brightest signals out there!!!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts