Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pinched this from my FB newsfeed... Extreme Creations in Aus has made a bolt on kit.

" Ben from Extreme makes the most amazing things and has told me this kit with be very reasonably priced. The first one has been made for factory Yamaha stunt rider Dave McKenna for his drift bike
What you are looking at here is a first for Extreme Creations, this is our first ever "turbo kit". We've developed this kit for the Yamaha MT09. Pricing & power figures are yet to be finalised although expect exhilarating performance & a reasonable price. All details will be finalised in the next few weeks.
"

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
FZ09 rider says to service manager after a piston goes thru the top of the head: "I don't know what you are talking about.... extra chrome parts on the exhaust. My bike is box stock. What do you mean warranty is void?" :cool:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Wait and see for the reviews....but im definitly considering the turbo way rather than pay 1K$ on an exhaust and just have 10 HP gain

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Wait and see for the reviews....but im definitly considering the turbo way rather than pay 1K$ on an exhaust and just have 10 HP gain
I would expect to pay around 5K for a decent turbo kit....maybe even more

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
10 hp gain from an exhaust lmao. Maybe to the crank, maybe. The turbo is the most expensive part of the "kit". Since it will be so small, shouldn't be much. The exhaust manifold will be expensive, because it won't be massed produced. But the rest is cheap (wideband, boost controller, map sensor, bov/bpv, ect.) and plumbing. Would be nice to see an I/C though.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Don't forget the billet CNC'd plenum/air box lid and air filter cover for the side of the turbo.

I can't wait to see this on a bike.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The bike has so much tourqe now in the low and mid range, that you could take off the head, put a much thicker gasket on to lower the static compression ratio.

Add back some more boost on top, and it should be best of both, low end tourqe, and top end rush that would make most non-turbo bikes seem like kiddy rides.

A solid 200+ at the wheel on top, while keeping 90+lbs of tourqe from 1500rpm on up.

As for cooling, just get a small propane tank, and a nozzle that only sprays when it's on boost. The cool evaporating propane in the intake track will cool better than any IC, and it's cheap to fill up the tank, and you get some extra power from the "cooling" when you burn the propane in the process.

I used to build Supra Turbo's with various "ideas" that worked out very well in some cases, not so well in others. 9:1 Static CR is awesome on a stroked I6 to about 3.4L, but pushing more than 28psi of boost will make it last a very short time. (At amazing power levels, you really can't do much with, with only rear wheel drive.)

Thus, my move to Audi and Quattro. Now I can put down the power, and still have a nice interior/exterior, and they go well in snow too. LOL
Every now and then, I think I should put an RS6 engine/trans into my S8, but the S has plenty of power for 99.9% of the time. (And I have too many other things to do than rebuild my daily driver when I'm not riding the 09.)

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Is there any reason to do this aside from just because?

I'm not an expert at the track or anything but with the added power and no swing arm extension - how do you even utilize that power given how much torque this engine produces stock? Is it responsible to offer a kit on a bike that has such shit stock suspension?

·
Registered
161 Posts
The bike has so much tourqe now in the low and mid range, that you could take off the head, put a much thicker gasket on to lower the static compression ratio.

Add back some more boost on top, and it should be best of both, low end tourqe, and top end rush that would make most non-turbo bikes seem like kiddy rides.

A solid 200+ at the wheel on top, while keeping 90+lbs of tourqe from 1500rpm on up.

As for cooling, just get a small propane tank, and a nozzle that only sprays when it's on boost. The cool evaporating propane in the intake track will cool better than any IC, and it's cheap to fill up the tank, and you get some extra power from the "cooling" when you burn the propane in the process.

I used to build Supra Turbo's with various "ideas" that worked out very well in some cases, not so well in others. 9:1 Static CR is awesome on a stroked I6 to about 3.4L, but pushing more than 28psi of boost will make it last a very short time. (At amazing power levels, you really can't do much with, with only rear wheel drive.)

Thus, my move to Audi and Quattro. Now I can put down the power, and still have a nice interior/exterior, and they go well in snow too. LOL
Every now and then, I think I should put an RS6 engine/trans into my S8, but the S has plenty of power for 99.9% of the time. (And I have too many other things to do than rebuild my daily driver when I'm not riding the 09.)
Im not an expert too... But with à turbo We can still add in a Power commander 5 and tune it with a map that will adapt the New power in the high range...? this way We dont need any extensions... And for the suspensions i think that this comes first and then We can add power

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Is there any reason to do this aside from just because?

I'm not an expert at the track or anything but with the added power and no swing arm extension - how do you even utilize that power given how much torque this engine produces stock? Is it responsible to offer a kit on a bike that has such shit stock suspension?
Turbos are not about being responsible, they are about being very, very irresponsible.

Besides, the first one is being made for a stunt rider for a drift bike. Instead of doing wheelies, it'll just break traction and spin up.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
So... just exactly how loud it this thing going to be? I have my doubts I could use it on the roads around here without pissing off just about everyone!

·
Registered
22 Posts
So... just exactly how loud it this thing going to be? I have my doubts I could use it on the roads around here without pissing off just about everyone!
Probably the same, if not quieter, than stock with a no-db-killer exhaust. My turbo car with straight pipes is quieter than when it was straight-piped and naturally aspirated. Turbo's are pretty effective mufflers.

·
Registered
651 Posts
The turbo tends to reduce exhaust noise because it absorbs energy from the exhaust gasses.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've been following this madness on facebook and an update from Ben Shaw/Extreme Creations yielded 192whp on 7psi, 207whp and some more tuning and upping the boost a bit. :laughing4:

1 - 20 of 76 Posts