Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a mates '18 Tuono for squirt yesterday, it was a short ride because it didn't have much gas in it and I didn't have much time. But what a bike! The sheer grunt is awe inspiring, I haven't seen a speedo wind up that fast before, 180 plus and the acceleration didn't seem to fall off at all.
It has a pretty aggressive riding position for a naked, and was not very happy at low revs in town, but it had a much more compliant ride than my 09. The QS is brilliant once you resist trying to blip the throttle.
I was quite chuffed that the way it held a line while leant felt a lot like my 09.
He's going to let me know if he changes to an RS660, but I'm not convinced it's the right bike for me. It's a lot heavier and taller than the 09, and my licence may not survive.
It's going to need a lot of thought.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Hey Lou, do what the little devil that sits on your shoulder tells you to do.
A life without sin is not worth living!

·
Registered
594 Posts
I love the bike, no dealers in my area for100 miles, and fuel economy kinda sucks. That would matter not if I was unfortunate enough to actually ride or own one. Must resist, the spirit's weak, good Luck LouG, hope you can keep them both.

Ride sane.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I'll think about it, but a new 09SP would be similar money and they suit me perfectly.
I must finally be growing up. Damn!

·
Registered
929 Posts
Very good coworker of mine has a '17 with the race tune, graves, and exhaust servo removed. The bike is damn impressive. I too feel it has an aggressive seating position, but suppose that's necessary with what the bike can do. I will say he's taken it on multiple 1k+ mile trips and hasn't had a complaint about comfort.

The removing of the exhaust servo helped the low end issues and choppy throttle response.

My only real petty gripes are fuel economy does suck, and there is no fuel gauge lol. You just have to do the math to figure out how much fuel is left (or wait until the low fuel light kicks on).

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Another great bike is the KTM Super Duke and the Super Duke GT. That V-twin motor is fantastic. It does everything well. Fast, slow, and in between. The WP suspension is hands down the finest suspension I have ever ridden. I spent two grand on suspension on my FZ09 and it was not even close to the stock WP. I had a KTM 1190 for a time. It has the same WP suspension with a bit longer travel. Bike was like a magic carpet.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, KTM's are great, but I wouldn't buy second hand (the Tuono is an exception, I know the owner well), and I can't justify buying new. And the importer here is a bit casual.
I had one of the first superDukes for a weekend, a fantastic bike. The WP suspension really is great.
I'll see what he wants for the Tuono when the RS660/Tuono's arrive.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I took a mates '18 Tuono for squirt yesterday, it was a short ride because it didn't have much gas in it and I didn't have much time. But what a bike! The sheer grunt is awe inspiring, I haven't seen a speedo wind up that fast before, 180 plus and the acceleration didn't seem to fall off at all.
It has a pretty aggressive riding position for a naked, and was not very happy at low revs in town, but it had a much more compliant ride than my 09. The QS is brilliant once you resist trying to blip the throttle.
I was quite chuffed that the way it held a line while leant felt a lot like my 09.
He's going to let me know if he changes to an RS660, but I'm not convinced it's the right bike for me. It's a lot heavier and taller than the 09, and my licence may not survive.
It's going to need a lot of thought.
What do you mean by more compliant? was the power delivery smoother (fueling)? easier/harder to ride than the MT?

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It soaked up bumps better, especially the forks. Power delivery was fine, but it feels very high geared at low speeds, it's a bit lumpy. Throttle is fine even with what felt like a lot of freeplay. My 09 has nearly none.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sounds like the Ducati problem, they all have sloppy throttles. I’ve been eyeing the Tuono for a while, yet I’ve been avoiding it at the same time. I feel it’s just way too fast for the road. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Curious Lou. Is this a V-4? I swapped my FZ-10 with BMAC’s V-4 for an afternoon outing and was super impressed. I was happy to get back on the 10 feeling the Tuono was a bit too aggressive for me. It felt better suited for the track than highway riding. As far as fuel consumption goes, it’s simply a tradeoff for the horsepower. My 10 got the same mpg as the Tuono. Engine wise, the V-4 is truly the ultimate with the crossplane-4 taking second place.

I can see you leaning more toward an MT-09 SP, as much as you love the model. The other factor is dealership support. You should pm BMAC and get his opinion as well.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds like the Ducati problem, they all have sloppy throttles. I’ve been eyeing the Tuono for a while, yet I’ve been avoiding it at the same time. I feel it’s just way too fast for the road. Thanks for the feedback.
It is a bit mental, 80 to 180 was a blink or two.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Curious Lou. Is this a V-4? I swapped my FZ-10 with BMAC’s V-4 for an afternoon outing and was super impressed. I was happy to get back on the 10 feeling the Tuono was a bit too aggressive for me. It felt better suited for the track than highway riding. As far as fuel consumption goes, it’s simply a tradeoff for the horsepower. My 10 got the same mpg as the Tuono. Engine wise, the V-4 is truly the ultimate with the crossplane-4 taking second place.

I can see you leaning more toward an MT-09 SP, as much as you love the model. The other factor is dealership support. You should pm BMAC and get his opinion as well.
Yes it was. Lovely engine.
You're right, I would probably feel more comfortable on the SP. But that could be because I rode the Tuono after a big night. Not hungover, but not the sharpest.
Also, I have nothing to prove with monster power anymore, the 09 feels like part of me. It's compact, quick steering and with decent suspension it doesn't give away anything in the tighter stuff.
Time will tell, and also if VAG announce a performance version of my wife's crossover, I can see that getting priority over a new bike.
Our investments had better do well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts