Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This thread is special so stick around. Just to disclose ahead of time, I do not work for TST Industries, I'm just a customer of theirs who has reviewed a couple of their products and sent some feedback to them. However, I do feel passionate about helping them out and trying to send as many people their way as I can. If you haven't heard of them, check them out. They have a wide selection of products and you won't find anywhere else with better customer service and enjoyment for what they do.

Another product from TST! As the title says it, TST Industries will be launching their very own integrated tail light for the FZ09. And I get to be their beta tester! :) I haven't received the product yet but when I do, I will be posting pictures, installation feedback and functionality. I personally think it is the best looking unit so far because of the way the shape of it flows with the rest of the bike. It also has a much nicer price tag than a lot of other companies that have made integrated tail lights for this bike. And just like all of TST Industries products, there will be a tutorial video for this unit to make install that much simpler. I should be getting the unit from TST sometime next week so stay tuned for more info! In the meantime, I've posted some pictures from their site of the tail light and a link directly to their site.

https://tstindustries.com/Integrated-Taillight-Yamaha-FZ-09-MT-09-2014-2016.html

14408018_10210023433495897_1641535508_o.jpg 14423779_10210023434135913_1043447255_o.jpg 14438967_10210023432935883_700243880_o.jpg A1.jpg A2.jpg

·
Registered
841 Posts
I really like my motodynamics tail light and I got it mainly because it is WAY brighter then stock. It can do integrated turn signalling as well but I choose not to as I am not a fan....

That being said, that is a nice looking tail light...they did a good job on the design.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm looking forward to your photos and review. If it's as bright or brighter than stock, I'm in.

·
Registered
890 Posts
looks good! if it's nice and bright, i'll be interested; the rizoma's bugged me in that they didn't seem very visible.
Not to threadjack, but I was just wondering if the Rizoma tail light was brighter than stock. I guess you just answered my question. Thanks.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I guess it's a very individual perspective, whether a single 6-8" integrated light gives adequate visibility for both turning and braking situations versus having separate stalks/pumpkins as well.

I think this looks amazing and would be fine to show a brake...but I'd have to question whether a person behind (with limited attention for a small little thing, used to looking at cars where turn signals are way at the outside edges of the vehicle) is going to be as clear to indicate turn signals.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess it's a very individual perspective, whether a single 6-8" integrated light gives adequate visibility for both turning and braking situations versus having separate stalks/pumpkins as well.

I think this looks amazing and would be fine to show a brake...but I'd have to question whether a person behind (with limited attention for a small little thing, used to looking at cars where turn signals are way at the outside edges of the vehicle) is going to be as clear to indicate turn signals.
This is brighter than stock and most aftermarket pod signals. Motorcycles are small narrow objects in front of a car. The human eye is going to notice flashing patterns, not that those flashing patterns are 4 inches away from the tail light or a part of it. If anything, having them all in 1 unit should be easier to focus on. I have unboxing pictures that I will post now. The final photos of them being installed and the unit functioning will be sometime tomorrow afternoon after I have sent my feedback to TST seeing as how they're entitled to first peek.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Disregard the little autumn theme my wife has got going on. I couldn't have went anywhere else in the house to get away from it. :p

Overall, the unit itself seems like a solid and detailed design. It's very lightweight, and looks like an OEM piece. TST put a lot of time into it and I like that they have their logo stamped on it. Once again, I'll have some photos and video up sometime tomorrow.

View attachment 47601 View attachment 47609 View attachment 47617 View attachment 47625

·
Registered
50 Posts
IMO, they missed the boat on not making this low profile, similar to the Rizoma taillight. It's the reason I went with the Rizoma vs. others, it sits flush. This thing, to me, sticks out like a sore thumb.

·
Registered
37 Posts
IMO, they missed the boat on not making this low profile, similar to the Rizoma taillight. It's the reason I went with the Rizoma vs. others, it sits flush. This thing, to me, sticks out like a sore thumb.
I disagree, it goes with the lines of the bike... The Rizoma seem to chop off the rearend to me it looks like something is missing. Although I have the Motodynamics the TST would have been my next option.

Peace...

·
Registered
890 Posts
I prefer the look of the Rizoma, but it wouldn't work as an integrated unit since it could not be seen from the side (as a turn signal). That's probably why TST went with this design...

·
Registered
580 Posts
With all due respect, I disagree jlow, I like the weird oem tail light sticking out, because it's way different from anything else any manufacturer made before. And the shape/pattern when lit up, again, is "different". The Rizoma, to me, is flush, round, blah. At least this one has some character. Does any body out there agree with me? The uniqueness of the oem taillight is cool? And this TST light is pretty cool too? Sign me up, I'll take one !

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
With all due respect, I disagree jlow, I like the weird oem tail light sticking out, because it's way different from anything else any manufacturer made before. And the shape/pattern when lit up, again, is "different". The Rizoma, to me, is flush, round, blah. At least this one has some character. Does any body out there agree with me? The uniqueness of the oem taillight is cool? And this TST light is pretty cool too? Sign me up, I'll take one !
I agree with you 100%. TST was going for style and functionality and Bart, the president, did an awesome job on the design. I am able to tell you that TST is looking for another beta tester for this product for anyone interested in that sort of thing. I'm not a middle man for that offer or idea, I was just able to pass it on.

Pics of unit installed coming in the next 5....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi guys, my name is Mark and I work for TST and I'm here to answer any questions anyone may have regarding this unit from a rider to rider perspective. The unit looks great and your bike @Nickel!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi guys, my name is Mark and I work for TST and I'm here to answer any questions anyone may have regarding this unit from a rider to rider perspective. The unit looks great and your bike @Nickel!
Hey Mark, having the tst flush mount blinkers will I still need to run a seperate jumper harness (I believe the 3-2 that a vendor on this forum provides) to maintain my running lights with this led tail.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Update on the tail light

So I haven't had a chance to ride the bike with the tail light until today. I pulled the bike out today and played with it a little bit. If I can, I'll try to get some videos of the patterns with the hazards and signaling. This unit is definitely brighter than the OEM unit and it uses different patterns for each feature, it's very cool. Everyone that has seen my bike immeditately compliments it, saying how clean the bike looks and that it should come on the bike.

As far as installation, as mentioned in TST's latest videos of this product, it's super easy to install. You don't have to pull a bunch of different things off of the bike to get to it. It took me about 10-15 minutes to install while taking my time not including removing my pod signals that were already there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Mark, having the tst flush mount blinkers will I still need to run a seperate jumper harness (I believe the 3-2 that a vendor on this forum provides) to maintain my running lights with this led tail.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
As far as "running lights" (RL) go on our front flushmounts, they do not currently have that capability. What exactly does that mean for you guys?

Its simple, you can absolutely wire them in as RL if you wish. HOWEVER, if you're using an integrated tail light, the constant current of the front signals will cause your rear signals to act funky even when you're not signaling. There may be other products from other companies that can allow our signals to act as RL and SL and not effect your rear integrated tail light, but we have no first hand experience with them so I cannot confirm nor deny the functionality.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Not to threadjack, but maybe this can help.
While I'm not using an integrated tail light, I am using TST POD signals on the front and rear of my bike.
Local law requires DRL function, so I installed the 12oClockLabs Turn Signal Running Light Adapter and I have DRL lights on the front and no malfunctions or dimmed lights.
It's a plug and play unit with easy to use connectors, though the connectors were a slightly different size than those on the POD signals (just push them in good and tape the connectors together). Maybe it's something that TST could look into as a future product ?!

I had the same setup on my WR250X (all 12oClockLabs parts including thier integrated tail light, though not being used as such, due to local laws) and everything worked fine so it should be ok. Other fellow riders had the same setup and used their tail light as an integrated unit with no problems.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts