Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys. Ive been adjusting my cct here and there to keep it in check. I went to adjust it today and following the normal procedure of warm the bike up and tighten it until it doesn't vibrate anymore. I know it shouldn't exert much resistance but for some reason its tight now. Not super tight but not easily turned anymore. Its rattling even worse and Im afraid to keep turning it to the right. Is this normal?

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Are you turning the set screw that you added? Or are you taking the set screw out to adjust the original part of the CCT?

·
Registered
350 Posts
To properly adjust, remove the set screw entirely. Start engine and let it idle. Then use a 3mm Allen to reach in the hole the set screw was in. Engage the Allen in the very bottom( will take some fidling) and gently turn that clockwise. When loose you will feel vibration in the Allen wrench, turn gently until the vibration stops. Turn off engine and reinstall set screw, just until it contact the bottom to keep the CCT from backing out. Do not over tighten this or you will damage the CCT. Then snug up the nut to keep the set screw from backing out. Search for Travis' thread, think he has a video of this.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah thats what Im doing but its getting tight before the vibrations are going away. Im quite mechanically inclined but Ive never fiddled with one of these before. Myabe Im just being paranoid.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Huh. Don't know. I don't think this needs to be done too often. I set mine at 28000 miles and have not had to reset yet at nearly 5,000. I would anticipate having to set a few times up to 10000 or so and then seldom after that. But it is a new design...

·
Registered
79 Posts
under normal conditions I am sure you are right... but I suspect hes one of us with a defective CCT... I've been to the dealer twice... because more than anythng else my cam chain noise is just flat embarrassing... but they tell me my cct is fine, and even if it wasnt I should be fine driving on it.

·
Registered
520 Posts
May be in your head and you're just hearing the natural cam.... I loosened mine very slowly 1/4 turn at a time until vibration could be felt hard on allen key... Then i slowly tightened 1/4 turn at a time intil i felt the tensioner have some resistance, then went slightly less than 1/4 turn past that and killed the engine so vibrations didnt move it when i removes key to apply set screw... Make the set screw hand tight, then add nut, before you lock nut completely put allen key in set screw and put slight tension on it to make sure its pinning the tensioner, then lock nut.

·
Registered
213 Posts
If your bike is under warrantly, call the dealer and have them order the new "subbed" CCT. Simple as that.
Unfortunately for many, it's not "simple as that". Many dealers will dismiss the noises as normal or will insist on adjusting the CCT instead of replacing it with the new part number. When the new CCT can be bought online for about $70 and installed in a couple of minutes at home, it isn't worth the hassle of an uncooperative dealer to some folks.

·
Registered
79 Posts
two separate dealers said mine wasnt an issue, I've tightened to temporary satisfaction and ultimate problems thereafter. I def have the v2, which apparently has already been deprecated.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Went to the dealer today> called ahead and asked about the noise and they said if they hear it they will order the "fix". I told them i had the fizzerfix and they said just remove it before they see it and all will be good. After the initial service they said the fix was on order and would be of no cost to me. Upon leaving i was quietly advised that no one would know if i put the fizzy fix back on until the new part came in. Not all dealers are evil i guess is my point. O and 3 weeks was the estimate for the part if it was backordered.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Three weeks? That seems better than what they were quoting a week ago, which was 2+ months.

The annoying part is that Yamaha has instituted this 1/4 turn, twice, before ordering the new part policy. Maybe not all dealers are making customers jump through the hoop, but... On failed tensioners, it only takes a few miles in some cases for the tensioner to work loose. Do this twice, then we will order a part that has been so universally bad, it should prompt a stronger response.

I hope people start receiving their 003 tensioners much quicker than they have.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Finally, someone put a complaint in here about the CCT http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSafetyIssues Thank you!!!
All we need are a few more brave souls who already have their passports in order and trip to Russia booked, to complain, and this problem will get sorted out. This thing were some dealers will do the fix, while others won't is just Bull plop. They need to be reminded by big brother.

Now, there are 2 noises to watch for. The camchain rattle and the clutch rattle. The clutch rattle can't be cured without a design change. It is what it is. But it occurs right next to the camchain rattle and can be hard to tell apart. You can't even pull the clutch in because the plates still rattle. Have to put it in gear, which is hard to do and not recommended if you are adjusting the CCT at the same time.

The solution is the new -03 CCT - at least the last 600 miles say it is.
If the camchain rattle won't go away, perhaps you have found the cause of the issue. Perhaps the -01 CCT can't adjust far enough to take out the slop??? It will take someone taking the CCT apart and doing a few drop measurements to find out if this is the case.

I have to say, after fixing the CCT, the engine is running smoother now. It was still quite rough after the initial change over, but it seems to be smoother now. It must have some learning circuits that get confused when the cam chain is loose.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Three weeks? That seems better than what they were quoting a week ago, which was 2+ months.

The annoying part is that Yamaha has instituted this 1/4 turn, twice, before ordering the new part policy. Maybe not all dealers are making customers jump through the hoop, but... On failed tensioners, it only takes a few miles in some cases for the tensioner to work loose. Do this twice, then we will order a part that has been so universally bad, it should prompt a stronger response.

I hope people start receiving their 003 tensioners much quicker than they have.
In my case I ran it for 10 min knowing it would loosen off again and took it back to the dealer after a few min, if it hadn't I had my allen key ready. It would have felt wrong turning 1//4 turn the wrong way, but a guys gotta do what a guys gotta do.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts