Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I read a few posts where some of you came over from the SPEED (not street) triple and opted for the 09. Just curious as to why (the other bike I was considering was the ST R with Ohlins). I test rode one with an arrow pipe and it was pretty damn sweet but 17K OTD. My other thought was the v4 Tuono (I had the last V2 and loved it).

When I test rode the 09, it felt lighter and even faster than the 2007.5 Tuono. Definitely felt lighter than the STR.

At the end of the day, I wanted a bike that I could wheelie and have fun on, without worrying about breaking a premium bike (and would that would stand up to the torture). Oh yea, and the 8K price delta, but I will be closing that gap with pipe and stilts for the 09. :evil6:

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Hey I read a few posts where some of you came over from the SPEED (not street) triple and opted for the 09. Just curious as to why (the other bike I was considering was the ST R with Ohlins). I test rode one with an arrow pipe and it was pretty damn sweet but 17K OTD. My other thought was the v4 Tuono (I had the last V2 and loved it).

When I test rode the 09, it felt lighter and even faster than the 2007.5 Tuono. Definitely felt lighter than the STR.

At the end of the day, I wanted a bike that I could wheelie and have fun on, without worrying about breaking a premium bike (and would that would stand up to the torture). Oh yea, and the 8K price delta, but I will be closing that gap with pipe and stilts for the 09. :evil6:
Can't beat it for the price. You are going to customize it anyways....might as well have the money already saved.

·
Registered
206 Posts

Bike UK did a good review of the v4 tuono. Basically a totally bonkers stripped rsv4 with higher bars. Tempermental, and puts out huge amounts of heat. I guess 167hp has to breathe a bit.
the trumpet is sweet, but way too expensive. fz9 it is.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Sold a 2010 RSV4 to purchase the FZ09, I personally would stay away from the Aprilia unless you have a competent local dealer for support after the sale. Mine had gasket leaks, fuel tank swelling and hard shifting issues which were all corrected by the dealer under warranty/service bulletins - it was down a couple months each year I owned it. The Tuono is still using the same plastic tank and unless you have it Caswell coated it will eventually fail from the crap ethanol fuel here in the US, it is not an IF but WHEN. The FZ electronics are far less complicated and the bike is way easier to work on/troubleshoot, personally never had it happen but tons of guys with the RSV4 and Tuono's have encountered the red triangle of death. Only way to pull codes or figure out what is wrong is to have the dealer tool, depending on severity of problem it will leave you stranded.

I managed to put some miles on the FZ before the snow set in, sure the motor is a bit of a let down compared to the Aprilia but overall the package is really nice. Not regretting the switch one bit so far especially since I know the Yamaha will treat me well in the long haul with reliability. The deciding factor for the switch for me was due to wrist injuries and I needed something more comfortable either way, the Aprilia Tuono was not even on the short list - the Triumph Speed was.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good points. Yes, the V4 Tuono has the monster motor, but almost too much I think. I like to hear the bike rev and pull the front tire up a bit, with the V4 you will be over 100MPH very quickly.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Good points. Yes, the V4 Tuono has the monster motor, but almost too much I think. I like to hear the bike rev and pull the front tire up a bit, with the V4 you will be over 100MPH very quickly.
If you ever get a chance to ride any of the Aprilias with an aftermarket exhaust do it! The V4 motor is IMO the best sounding motorcycle period, it brings out your inner hooligan because you are always applying throttle to hear the sweet exhaust note. My RSV4 was geared a bit and being heavy handed would have you staring at the triple tree pretty fast, with the Tuono being tuned more for low/mid I could see it being a really fun street mount if you are willing to take a chance one it - one time and out for me with Aprilia ownership.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts