Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The following pictures are intended to help FZ-09 owners with installation of TripageLED's headlight bulb upgrade.

Note: The first twelve images formerly appearing in this post now begin at post #25 of this thread
https://www.fz09.org/forum/32-yamah...headlight-bulb-installation-3.html#post844516

Once these 12 steps are complete...
Final-reverse-4-caption.jpg

For a first-timer like me, the process seemed somewhat daunting in the first few moments. Once the headlight assembly was open, any lingering doubts faded. The process became clear and logical. Now I wouldn't hesitate to perform this headlight bulb replacement. The process is clear, and the LED headlight is superb!

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
thanks so much for doing this redeye - was going to tackle this next weekend when temps get above 20 hah. This will help a ton!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Great info on the install! Just curious if the hibeams still work with the led light installed? Or if any engine lights came on after the led install?

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Great info on the install! Just curious if the hibeams still work with the led light installed? Or if any engine lights came on after the led install?
Yes, the high beam should work, and no, the engine light should not come on from installing this LED bulb

Reactions: redeye

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Yes, the high beam should work, and no, the engine light should not come on from installing this LED bulb
Exactly right, and as someone questioned on another thread, the flash-to-pass function works as well.

Photos of the LED headlight, low beam and high beam, follow:

Low beam.
2015-02-08-LED-Low.jpg

High beam.
2015-02-08-LED-Hi.jpg

·
Registered
657 Posts
Great write-up and contribution!

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
awesome test photos - i'm pumped to install this.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Where did you end up setting the power plug/adapter and the ballast? I tried putting them behind the heatsink but it would end up snagging in a full lock. I ended up sticking the ballast between the headlight assembly and the ignition switch(?) with the power plug/adapter hanging on the side. Also, does anyone know if the ballast will heat up under prolonged use?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Where did you end up setting the power plug/adapter and the ballast? I tried putting them behind the heatsink but it would end up snagging in a full lock. I ended up sticking the ballast between the headlight assembly and the ignition switch(?) with the power plug/adapter hanging on the side. Also, does anyone know if the ballast will heat up under prolonged use?
@FJRider 's following post helped me figure out where could I have the ballast - close enough to reach my auxiliary HID xenon, far enough to avoid interference with the instrument panel:
uploadfromtaptalk1425864062217.jpg

I received my CREE LED H4 High/Low from ElectricalConnection.com and today is warm enough to add this interesting farkle.

Here is their website.

EC - LED Headlight Bulb - H4 High/Low

The package arrived within 3 days of order and everything looked of high quality. The kit consisted of the H4 CREE bulb, a transformer, a mini fan assembly and a PVC fan duct. The instructions were OK.

Step1: Remove the headlight from the bike

Step 2: Remove the existing H4 Bulb.

Old bulb and the CREE LED Bulb

Step 3: Install the new CREE LED Bulb

Step 4: Install mini fan and duct

Step 5: Decide where you want to mount the transformer.

The requirements are:

1. It has to be close to the Headlight
2. It must turn with the headlight and fork
3. It should not interfere with the headlight assembly

I decided the best place was next to the horn and I would need a special bracket. I used a piece of aluminum sheet and fabricated a small bracket.

It would mount adjacent to the horn and mount between the horn and the horn fork mount.

Test everything. Good to go!

Step 6: Reassemble

I took the bracket apart and pained it with some satin black rattle-can stuff I had in the basement. Now it matches the rest of the fittings and doesn't look so home made.

Here is the finished assembly.

All back together.

Before the modification I measured the stock headight with my wife's light meter (she's a professional photographer) one foot in front of the center of the headlight, engine running. It read 2037 lumens

After the modification a I measured the same way and got 4024 lumens.

All in all not a bad modification for $79.95 plus shipping.

·
Registered
654 Posts
excellent right up

·
Registered
474 Posts
Is the factory headlight harness recall still needed if this mod is performed ? It seems that it would make the cable longer and possibly fix the issue.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Perfect ! Thanks

Sent from far outer space

Reactions: RBC

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Thanks again for this Redeye - install was a breeze with the help of this thread.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts