Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just invented a neat trick today while pulling the tank...when the bike is on a rear stand, normally, turning the handlebars to access one side of the wheel is unpleasant and makes you think its going to jump off the stand.

take 2 small pieces of cardboard (12" square?) stacked, and 1st roll the front wheel onto them before putting the rear in the stand. Now you can easily turn the handlebars because the cardboard has low friction.

I dont know if I'm a genius, or a dumb-ass because everybody else has figured this out a long time ago???

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
It's too simple...I don't like it lol

But really good idea...anything to make my cheapo rear stand less frightening. I'm throwing my front stand of soon, it has completely failed 4 times on me.

·
Registered
337 Posts

But really good idea...anything to make my cheapo rear stand less frightening. I'm throwing my front stand of soon, it has completely failed 4 times on me.
There are tons of stands on the market but IMO Pitbull makes the best stuff, my rear stand is going on 17 years old and has been used on tons of bikes - never one issue. They are expensive but are sturdy and you will never have to need to buy anything else again, I had a couple different brands before the Pitbulls and they were all junk.

·
Registered
962 Posts

Is that a fork stand? I've never trusted them. I used to always hang a tie down strap from the ceiling to the handlebars (between the mounts) as a backup. Well, after I had a DR650 fell over in the garage and did extensive damage I always did it... Now I have a steering stem stand...

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
It's a fork stand. I got the front and rears for like 50 bucks. They work okay but they flex a lot and the fork stand just doesn't fit right. I too use the straps from the ceiling. I probably would have died at least once without that. So yeah time to make a change. Now that I have most of my mods done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
651 Posts
a single piece of 3mm (1/8'') poly ethylene works even better and it won't wear out.
cut a square out of an old bin or a 200litre plastic drum

·
Registered
637 Posts
I like it - keeping stuff simple is usually the best plan.
Could even use one of those TV turntables, or a lazy susan
Of course, it may be best to drop a sandbag on the rear stand handle
I just invented a neat trick today while pulling the tank...when the bike is on a rear stand, normally, turning the handlebars to access one side of the wheel is unpleasant and makes you think its going to jump off the stand.

take 2 small pieces of cardboard (12" square?) stacked, and 1st roll the front wheel onto them before putting the rear in the stand. Now you can easily turn the handlebars because the cardboard has low friction.

I dont know if I'm a genius, or a dumb-ass because everybody else has figured this out a long time ago???

1 - 9 of 9 Posts