Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I want to use the dynojet auto tune on my bike, I really dont want to make another o2 port tho. Can I use a resistor to trick the ecu to thinking that it is always getting a perfect signal? I know they have made o2 eliminators for many bikes in the past. I really just want to plug my auto tune into the stock port.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I thought that you could replace your stock O2 sensor with theirs. This is what I gathered from reading their install manual:

Many stock and aftermarket exhausts come equipped with an O2 sensor. If your system uses a M18x1.5mm thread then you can simply use this location for the Auto tune sensor.

Am I wrong?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are correct, that satisfies the power commander, but the ECU will no longer be receiving a signal from the stock o2 sensor.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Don't use the stock O2 sensor, pointless. The AT will get the job done.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know, but of you unplug the stock o2, won't you get an fi light?

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Mine didn't. Disconnected, the AFR will go from 15 to 13.5... AT will take care of that easy.

EJK controller does a fantastuc job of tuning that AFR on the 09. Much easier to tune that the PCV (and just as good... or not really worth the difference in $$$)

But if you are going to throw your hard ern $$$ on a PCV & AT (I did on my FZ6R)... utilize your equipment to 100%. Keep in mind... rule if thumbs, 7% correction is about 1 AFR (14:1 to 13:1 by example) So if you see -30%... BS! LOL

And don't be afraid to dump some fuel in the zero column for decel... trim down from 2500 to idle a bit

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Okay, another question. If you run the Auto Tune wideband O2 sensor in stead of the stock O2 sensor, so do you not plug in the inline O2 Optimizer and leave the stock cable unplugged?

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Good question. I would leave it disconnected and if some alarm comes on... put it in.

·
Registered
418 Posts
You should not get an error code when you unplug the o2 sensor and use the Auto Tune. There's no need to trick the ECU into thinking it plugged in either. I have the PCV and AT on my FZ and didn't have any problems with errors. You will however notice the wires will need to be lengthened for a clean install though. Not hard to do if you're familiar with wiring.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Response from Dynojet about leaving off the O2 Optimizer:

You can only do this, if you have the bike’s stock ECU programmed or reflashed to ignore the stock O2 sensor. You might be able to have this done by companies like “ECU Unleashed” or “JETT Tuning.”

If you try to do this with a completely stock ECU program, the bike will run never run at a consistent and optimal AFR in the idle to cruise range. It will always surge from excessively rich to excessively lean while idling or cruising.

The plug might be the ticket.

·
Registered
133 Posts
You should not get an error code when you unplug the o2 sensor and use the Auto Tune. There's no need to trick the ECU into thinking it plugged in either. I have the PCV and AT on my FZ and didn't have any problems with errors. You will however notice the wires will need to be lengthened for a clean install though. Not hard to do if you're familiar with wiring.
I am a rookie when it comes to this but I am considering it for my bike; there are no reliable tuners nearby.

Did you remove the stock O2 sensor and install the DynoJet wideband O2 sensor in its place, or did you just unplug the stock sensor and install the DynoJet sensor along-side? You are not using the O2 Optimizer, is that correct? When I checked with DynoJet, they said that the wiring from their sensor could follow the same path as the stock sensor, but if you do that will you need to extend the wiring? After all was connected and you installed an initial map, did you simply update the map from the Trim Table or is there more to do on initial setup?

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
They are right. Like I said if you disconnect the O2 sensor the AFR will go from 15 to 13.5:1. At steady throttle the AFR stay at 13.5, but it takes 15 sec. or so to get there. It goes from 15 to 13.5 in 15 sec. But if you use the AT, it will correct that. If not AT doesn't do what it is suppose to do (as long as your +/- correction are about 15% you should be fine)

Response from Dynojet about leaving off the O2 Optimizer:

You can only do this, if you have the bike’s stock ECU programmed or reflashed to ignore the stock O2 sensor. You might be able to have this done by companies like “ECU Unleashed” or “JETT Tuning.”

If you try to do this with a completely stock ECU program, the bike will run never run at a consistent and optimal AFR in the idle to cruise range. It will always surge from excessively rich to excessively lean while idling or cruising.

The plug might be the ticket.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I ordered the plug, also. My ultimate goal is to pull the stock sensor, leave off the Optimizer, plug the wiring harness with the O2 Sensor Eliminator. Then I will get a panel switch for two maps. I am going to use the Auto Tune with the DB Killer in to train one map, and pull the DB Killer to train another map. I eventually hope to be able to pull the DB Killer and flip the switch to go to the other map when I want to.

Worst case scenario, I will weld a new bung into the exhaust and run the dual setup.

Dynojet has an instructional video on their website on how to transfer the Auto Tune map to the main map.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I am a rookie when it comes to this but I am considering it for my bike; there are no reliable tuners nearby.

Did you remove the stock O2 sensor and install the DynoJet wideband O2 sensor in its place, or did you just unplug the stock sensor and install the DynoJet sensor along-side? You are not using the O2 Optimizer, is that correct? When I checked with DynoJet, they said that the wiring from their sensor could follow the same path as the stock sensor, but if you do that will you need to extend the wiring? After all was connected and you installed an initial map, did you simply update the map from the Trim Table or is there more to do on initial setup?
Yamaha use a narrow band sensor and Dynojet a wideband sensor. It's like apple and orange. You need the PCV and Autotune... quite a big investment but so far this is the only way to tune the close loop (ECO mode) area of the map.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yamaha use a narrow band sensor and Dynojet a wideband sensor. It's like apple and orange. You need the PCV and Autotune... quite a big investment but so far this is the only way to tune the close loop (ECO mode) area of the map.
Sorry Marthy but I did not mean to ask whether the DynoJet O2 sensor would take the place of the stock O2 sensor, feeding info to the ECU. I meant to ask whether he installed the DynoJet O2 sensor in the location on the exhaust where the stock O2 sensor was installed, or did he leave the obsolete stock sensor in place and attach the DynoJet sensor beside the stock sensor. Can you use the same location for attachment?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm with Doug. I will put that plug in and then use the Autotune. When I am done tuning, I will leave the plug in, and put a threaded plug into my exhaust. (Yes, my ecu is flashed)

I believe this is what happens. When you have the autotune on, it does nothing to the PC at all. It takes readings and then suggests a map for the bike. You have to go into the software with your laptop and accept this map and write it to the PC. That is when the changes happen. And yes, Marty you are correct, you should not see huge changes. I have been instructed that the very best way to do it is at a track. You ride a 20 minute session, load and accept that map, then do it again and again. By the end of your 3rd session, it should no longer be making changes (if you did it a 4th time, all settings should remain the same -+ 1%) It is recommended to do this at the track, because there should be very little time when you arent hard on the engine. There wont be any idle time to mess up your readings.

I like the idea of the plug for the original o2 sensor, becuase after I have finished my tune, I dont want the stock ECU trying to adjust the fuel. Then again, perhaps the stock ecu cant do anything, becuase the power commander is down stream from it, and over rides the ecu settings.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
It will be interesting to see the type of character in this bike. The specs look great. Will it be rough or smooth?
On Cycle Ergo they show the forward lean about 0 degrees for a rider 6'2" tall....that's supermoto style for sure. Perhaps a Japanese, inexpensive Hypermotard?
Yes, same M18 threads. Fit right in.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I plan to use the stock o2 hole. Should be the same thread. Most o2 sensors use the same bung.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts