Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have been discussing this in another thread, but in order to save other FZ09 bretheren from having this issue, it really deserves it's own thread.

Currently there is an issue with the TREX axle and fork sliders. The issue is that the right rear spacer is machined incorrectly and will not fit inside the axle as per spec. The other issue is that the left fork spacer is recessed too deeply and if tightened, it will gouge the fork lower stanchion.

TRex machined the right rear spacer to 10.5mm to fit a 11mm axle ID. The FZ09 rear axle ID is actually 10mm, therefore creating poor fitment.

TRex machined the left front fork spacer with a 10mm deep recess, which will cause the spacer to gouge the front fork lower stanchion if installed and tightened. This recess should be no more than 7mm in depth, and washers are needed as a standoff to prevent fork damage during installation.

Beware if you are considering buying these components for your bike. I will update this thread with the solution that I receive from TRex Racing.

Right rear spacer dia.

Right rear axle ID.

Front left spacer recess depth.

Minimum required washer thickness to avoid fork damage on left front fork.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I'm not the olny one, then.

The rear axle is swaged down in the thread area, reducing the id.

I had to remove 1 mm od on the insert part.

Other solution would have been to open the axle hole up with a 7/16 " drill, but I chose to machine

the less critical part.

The recess on the spools at the swingarm needs to be machined a bit deeper,
/
or it contacts the taper part of swing arm /=D

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What baffles me, is that they used a members bike to create these parts?! They are talking about machining me a new rear axle spacer, and the fork spacer will be up to me to fit washers to, in order to protect my fork.

·
Registered
473 Posts
You guys are freakin me out! My set axle slider set went right on without any issues. The front axle slider has that long bolt you insert from the right side. It has a Hex head that fits inside the axle. Seems to fit tight enough. 20140313_175910.jpg I pulled the front slider loose and slid the bolt out so you can see.

I'm no engineer but I am a mechanic and I know how parts fit together. Unfortunately I don't have a caliper to measure the parts.

Next picture is the left front fork leg after removal of slider. I don't see any damage to my fork. That large plastic treaded piece sits right against the fork. Is this part of the issue guys are worried about? Plastic on metal is no big deal. There were no metal spacers provided on the front axle set.

20140313_180011.jpg

Here is the complete install on left front fork.

Trex.jpg

Next step remove the rear and see what's going on. Obviously too much time on my hands. ECU is in route to Stoltec for reflash!

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I can see a shiney ring where your left fork spacer is rubbing your fork. There is an aluminum spacer on both sides for the forks, you tighten the 6mm SHCS and then thread the plastic slider on to it. The problem is that the left side spacer has a machined recess that is too deep and it rubs the fork.

Before you thread the slider puck on, you bolt an aluminum spacer to the front axle. This spacer does rub the fork, and it's rubbing yours, look at your photo.

Thus far, I have yet to see anyone without both of these issues. TRex knows about them, but they don't know how their dimensions became flawed. I was speaking with Tom about these measurements today, just before they closed. I may know more tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ummm, that piece there is an aluminum spacer, and per your photos, it is rubbing your fork. Per TRex there should be a gap there, and there is not. Your first photos show where it is rubbing your fork, it is quite easy to see.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Not trying to defend Trex here but figure out if my parts are screwed up. I got my set late Jan. this year. They may have have changed the parts. I'll report back on rear axle parts later.

20140313_183757.jpg

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You have what we all have. They are all the same, unfortunately. That left spacer in their instructions, just cut a nice shiny ring through your lower fork powder coat. Per TRex, there should be clearance there.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Got it! What threw me off was you said aluminum spacer. It's just a plastic piece. Your right it does contact my fork and I can see the rub mark. Add a couple washers inside the plastic spacer to give it some additional clearance. I was thinking that having it tight against the fork adds strength if the puck contacts the road but obviously not what Trex had in mind. Thanks for clearing this up Fizzer!

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yours is plastic???? Wow, mine are most certainly aluminum, the only plastic is the puck that threads onto that piece.

Add some washers and ride on!!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
After all the issues with t-Rex I have a hard time going with them. I know these things happen but from things not fitting to sending stuff to the wrong person and the material they use not being adequate thickness or hardness...they have a good inexpensive kit...but if it doesn't work then what is the point?

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've used them in the past, and there were no issues. It's seems the R&D on this bike was very limited. I'd have no qualms about using them for another, more established model, but no longer the FZ09. I took the measurements to make these parts fit, in 5 minutes. I'm just some guy, in my garage, with a pair of digital calipers.

I am going to use a pair of 8mm nylon washers to push the fork spacer off the fork leg. However, it will take TRex machining a new rear spacer to fix the issue on the rear of the bike.

It also took a week, failed email attempts, voice mails, and finally Facebook, to get them to respond to me, and the others about this.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Ill drop them an email just to add to the list of complaints, maybe if enough people do it we might get new parts that are machined correctly to fit. Lol, wishful thinking right?

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It took me a week of calls, emails and Facebook stalking to get a response. They requested measurements of the parts and my bike. Once I sent them the photos and the measurements of their parts and measurements from my bike, it's been radio silence.

I'm really not impressed. I'm probably returning mine, regardless of the "fix". I want to know that if I am a customer, and you already have my money, that I'm a priority when things aren't right. With them, I am not, so I will vote with my dollars. I just want my dollars back, I will give those dollars to someone that cares.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I just installed a full set of TRex hardware last week and noticed these issues. But I used some electrical tape on the back sides of the aluminum spacers to protect the forks (double thickness & cut to fit the spacer so it can't be seen) and filed one of the pieces on the rear to fit inside the axle and it fit fine...took all of 5 min for both fixes.

I understand the concern here, yes there is a possibility that on the front the forks could get a "ring" worn in the finish, but the pieces do fit. On the rear, very slight modification is necessary. So the kit isn't perfect, but really the point of these is to protect the forks and swing arm from major damage in the event of an accident, does it really matter if there is a small ring on the forks under the puck that can't be seen when the pieces are installed?

That being said, they could have spent about 10 more minutes in the design phase and corrected these issues... especially if they had an 09 to test fit.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
The point is, they don't fit correctly. Most guys aren't even noticing that the rear spacer isn't correct, installing it incorrectly, and riding with it. The integrity is compromised if that spacer is not secure inside the axle.

Others don't have the means to correct it in their garages.

And my point is the principle of it all. They have had numerous complaints about these two issues. Response time is slow. And they treated me like it was a problem unique to my bike, not their mistake. They took no responsibility for either issue.

Since corresponding with them, sending them a plethora of dimensional information, they have again fallen silent.

It's my money, I have the means to "fix" it, but I didn't pay for a project, I paid for a kit to fit my bike. At this point, they should be paying me for doing their R&D and providing them with proper dimensions.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Have they fixed the error in using a 120mm bolt on the left rear mount bolt hole ?

Should be 105 to 110 mm.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I checked my bolt, and it didn't even protrude through the backside of the engine mount hole...

I think as I was feeling around, maybe one of the mounts was blind, but I can't remember. What I do recall is that none of the through holes had a bolt protruding from the back side. And if there was a blind hole, none of my bolts bottomed out.

I'm on the road for three more days, so I don't have access to the bike to check for sure.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts