Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wanted to make sure I had a sprint through the mountains before posting a review, and this Saturday I spent 5 hours riding around the north GA mountains(plus another couple hours highway time getting there and back) so I thought I'd write down my impressions. Few details: 8983 double clicker, it took about 2.5 weeks from when I ordered to when it was delivered to the shop. I had Traxxion install it. They're 10 minutes from my house, the price was very fair, and it took less than an hour from riding in to riding out. The staff is super helpful and knowledgeable, and there is a nice waiting area with wifi, so time flew by.

Now to the performance:

Tremendous difference, as I'm sure everyone can imagine. I'm right around 230lbs(6'3, athletic build) geared for commuting in my textile gear, and slightly north of that in leathers for the mountains, so I'm way past what the stock shock was set up to reasonably handle. Commuting I feel noticeable difference in comfort, not because the Penske is cadillac plush, but because I'm more relaxed on the bike since I'm not worried about every bump, dip and divot in the road bouncing me clean off the seat at 70+mph. It's more stable and predictable. Tires are also more uniform with no funky wear caused by inadequate rebound and damping.

Up in the mountains(no track days for me until the front is sorted...I'll get to that) is where the difference is truly evident. Aggressive riding with the stock shock was absolutely terrifying. There's a few on here that are around my weight that claim the stock setup is adequate. They are either pro-level riders, only ride on freshly paved tarmac, or are absolutely mental. Can you drag your knee with the stocker? Absolutely. Can you do it safely? Not within any reasonable margin. Anyways, the bike is infinitely better in the back. Road feel is great: you get an idea of your surface without your tire being upset. It flicks way better and feels much tighter. In quick corners where I'm throwing my body side to side I feel more planted, especially noticeable when I get tired and a bit sloppy with transitioning my weight from one side to the other. It soaks up the bumps and even on crappy mountain roads you don't get upset mid-corner by disturbances in the road surface

The confidence you get is huge...which might present itself as a problem if you get complacent as there is now a complete discord between how the front and rear behave. Where the rear is confidence inspiring and encourages you to push it hard, the front is there to remind you why it's an absolutely awful idea when it completely buckles under a corner with an upward gradient.

Overall it's easily the best money I've spent on the bike so far. I feel everyone should modify the suspension on this motorcycle, it will absolutely transform it. Now to dump another chunk into the front.

Reactions: cthouse

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Must of been your FZ 09 I saw at Turners Corner....Saturday around 11 am.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I agree on both the penske and the traxxion cartridges. Cost hurts initially, but you won't regret it once the money is gone. Not needed by everyone but it brings the bike up to its potential. Kick ass engine matched to great handling. As others have said, poor man's Ducati that won't break down and cost $3k a year to maintain.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Must of been your FZ 09 I saw at Turners Corner....Saturday around 11 am.
red? If so definitely, thats right around when we were up there! I was with a gray R1(hes 10 years into heavy track day riding so he was giving me instructions on how to get quicker.) What were you riding?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
red? If so definitely, thats right around when we were up there! I was with a gray R1(hes 10 years into heavy track day riding so he was giving me instructions on how to get quicker.) What were you riding?
No it wasn't red....it was dark grey with a small windscreen parked outside the restaurant at Turners Corner. I was on a graphite FZ 07.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts