Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any feedback about the traxxion or the matris fork cartridge?

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Traxxion ak20 is great improvement over stock.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have ridden an R1 with Matris, very nice. I posted a link to PJ's parts.com who carries Matris. The R1 had both forks and shock, I can only compare to top shelf Ohlins which has been on a few of my bikes. IMHO the Matris is a huge improvement over stock without being as harsh as the Ohlins equipped bikes I've owned.
JCIII

·
Registered
350 Posts
I installed AK 20 cartridges on my 09 a couple of weeks ago. Great cartridges. Just spent 3 days wringing them out on a 3 day trip. My only complaint is to set sag properly, I had to remove all preload. Guess I should not lose weight after all. Most shops will ship suspension stuff too stiff for road guys. Not surprising, their market is track. If I had to do it again I would go 5 kg less on springs for a slightly plusher ride. But great product, very easy to install, perfect when the bike is being pushed. I am very satisfied with the traxxion experience.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Usually the guys at Traxxion ask if you are a street or track rider. I had them set up a Gixxer 600 for me that I told them I rode on both street and track. They told me how to adjust the suspension for street vs track.

My Goldwing suspension was a magic carpet. MUCH better than stock. Sadly, I really hated the bike. Just a big ole pig.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I installed a pair of AK-20's a couple of months ago and they work great.

I got them from Dan at Traxxion Dynamics.

Prior to this Dan was helping get my ZX-6RR shock dialed it. Once I finished the shock I then got the cartridges for the front.

To this point I did not realize just how bad the stock front end was. After installing the AK-20's it became clear the difference they made.

Not cheap but really helps the bike ride like it should.

·
Registered
52 Posts
No, they aren't cheap, but they are very good.

I've heard people say, "I'm not a canyon carver, so the stock suspension works for me". No, it really doesn't. Good suspension is about more than going fast. It will make your bike ride more comfortably, it will make your bike easier to control (read "safer"), and it will give you more braking and road feel.

A properly set up suspension shouldn't be harsh or hard. It should be smooth and something you don't really notice.

The best example I have is my big old pig of a Goldwing. I really hated that bike. Bought it because the wife wanted to ride with me (she rode on it twice). Stock suspension was so bad that I dragged pegs even at modest lean angles (such as turning from a stop). I had the preload set as high as it would go and the bike wallowed and bucked like crazy. You'd hit a dip or bump in the road and the bike would bounce up and down multiple times. After Traxxion rebuilt my shock and put the AK20s in, it was a different bike. It was still a heavy pig, but it felt 100lbs lighter. I could go down a twisty road and not wallow and bounce.

Traxxion also did my Gixxer 600. It was on stock suspension that was completely shagged out. The suspension was so hard and harsh that it literally hurt to ride it. Hit even the slightest bump and you winced in pain as it typically involved your "boys" getting crushed due to the forward lean. I had the forks rebuilt and sprung for my weight and a Penske triple clicker installed. It was just night and day different. I had more confidence on the track because I had more control. Wish I could say my lap times dropped dramatically, but I ran out of skill way before I ran out of bike. I just wasn't scaring myself as often. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts