Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping to pick up my FZ this weekend at a dealer a few hours away (Westfield Yamaha, thanks fizzer). Renting a u-haul motorcycle trailer to bring it back. I've never trailered a bike before and I'm paranoid about scratches/scuffs. Any tips?

My plan was to use some soft loops to attach to the handlebars and maybe rear passenger pegs. The uhaul trailer has a notch for the front wheel. And then 4 ratchet straps to secure it. How tightly should I compress the straps? Partial compression of the suspension?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
486 Posts
tight enough that the bike does not fall over or move
you are over thinking it. make sure you zip tie the front brake lever so the bike does not move back and forth

·
Registered
558 Posts

·
Banned
486 Posts
ive got a strap that loops around the hand grips and has strap holders hanging off the bars, ill have to take a pic of it tommorow

looks like lucas beat me to it, use that^^^

·
Registered
276 Posts
I used 5 ratchet straps (2 to handlebars, 2 to passenger pegs area, 1 over pillow on the seat) to trailer my aprilia 3500+ miles at 80 mph with no issues on my cheapo HF folding trailer. I compressed the suspension about 2/3 of the way. I also took a piece of rope and tied the wheel to the wheel hoop. Be careful about using tarps or anything, they will flap hard in the wind and can cause damage to plastic and paint. Tie off tie down ends so they don't slap against the bike. Also be careful with the brake rotors contacting the wheel hoop. I chose to put my bike on the trailer backwards so it would be easier to get it off, but I plugged up my exhaust to keep water and stuff from flying into the pipes :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
I haven't put the 09 on the trailer yet but for my old gsxr. Two motocross style tie downs around the lower triple clamps is enough. Wouldn't hurt one just loosely around the back somewhere incase you have to emergency stop so the bike doesn't do a front flip.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I've never used more then two ratchet straps.

Been riding for 30+ years.

one on either the triple trees/Forks r + l or on the bars themselves, R and L
straddle the bike, compress the forks tighten appropriately go back and forth a few times R-L-R-L if the straps make a slight TWANG like a bowstring then you've got it. IF they make a Thuddd it's too loose.

Do not zip tie the brake. Bad for the brake reservior, bad idea. if the straps aren't tight enough to hold the bike you've done it wrong.
You can put it in gear AFTER strapping it down, but remember it's in gear when it comes time to loosen.
i use straps that have soft straps so the metal hook isn't rubbing on anything.

If you are going a very very long distance, you can put one across the seat or the rear wheel, but it's really only 'moral support'
Double check that nothing is rubbing. Where it rubs, you will lose paint. (screwed this one up on my Accord last year using a Uhaul 2 wheel trailer, now my front bumper looks like shit on one side. DOH!)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Snamzzaj has it covered pretty well!

Or crossxchecks idea.... That's what I did actually lol

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
This is the easiest way that I know of to load a bike

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
I transport two track bikes at least one a month and sometimes twice a month. My setup is pretty simple, yet totally safe and effective. I use a Baxley wheel chock (the sport model) for each bike. You simply roll the bike into the Baxley, get off the bike (it will stand up by itself), then attach a ratchet tie down strap on each side of the bike. My track bikes have tie down hooks installed on them, but you can just as easily use the rear passenger peg/mounting hardware to attach the ratchet strap to. Ratchet the bike's rear end down, pulling it forward toward the Baxley. I don't know how many hundreds of times I've hauled bikes this way, and never once had an issue. I've even hauled my ST1300 several times using this same method. It's foolproof, safe, effective, and worry Free.

Reactions: buck

·
Registered
91 Posts
I transport two track bikes at least one a month and sometimes twice a month. My setup is pretty simple, yet totally safe and effective. I use a Baxley wheel chock (the sport model) for each bike. You simply roll the bike into the Baxley, get off the bike (it will stand up by itself), then attach a ratchet tie down strap on each side of the bike. My track bikes have tie down hooks installed on them, but you can just as easily use the rear passenger peg/mounting hardware to attach the ratchet strap to. Ratchet the bike's rear end down, pulling it forward toward the Baxley. I don't know how many hundreds of times I've hauled bikes this way, and never once had an issue. I've even hauled my ST1300 several times using this same method. It's foolproof, safe, effective, and worry Free.
Where are the tie down hooks located on the trackies, any pics. I do 5 hours to the track and another 5 hours back about every month or 6 weeks with two GSXR750's, I need all the tricks I can find. I use one of those rollover front wheel stand things on the trailer, they are excellent SCA Motorcycle Wheel Chock, Multifit - Supercheap Auto Australia.

On the MT09 I just strapped it using a ratchet strap either side on the bottom triple clamp, no rubbing on anything then and just wrap one around the back wheel too.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Or, and this is just a crazy idea, have someone drive you to the dealership and ride the bike home.
Thanks for all the great tips. Sounds pretty straightforward.

I would like to ride it home, but it's about a 6 hour drive each way and there's a good chance of rain this weekend. As a new rider, dealing with 12 hours of driving, maybe in the rain, on a new bike that needs to be broken in properly sounds like a big task.

Where I'm picking up the truck and trailer is at the halfway point on my trip down, so I'll drive there Friday night, then just have the 3 hr drive down to get the bike, 3 hr drive back up with the bike on the trailer, and then I have a place to stay if I need to wait for the weather to clear before making the last 3 hour drive (on the motorcycle) back home.

The dealer wants $7900 otd versus $9300 in my area, so the trip is easily worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
429 Posts

Reactions: Lee Drew

·
Registered
962 Posts
I always use Canyon Dancers and 4 to 6 cam buckle type straps, I'll use 2 or 4 in a truckbed. To me - the more straps the better because then I don't have to do them so tight. I avoid the ratchet straps because they don't need to be that tight. Don't tie it down so hard that you bottom out the forks - especially on a little trailer. On a trailer it's going to bounce a lot more - you'll want to loop a strap through the rear wheel to hold the tire to the rail, and another or two to hold the rear down. And drive smooth and slow. Pull over a mile or so out and recheck the straps - the load moves and settles - especially on a trailer.

Since you don't own a trailer, I'd find a ride there and ride it home. Take a train, bus, taxi...

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Where are the tie down hooks located on the trackies, any pics. I do 5 hours to the track and another 5 hours back about every month or 6 weeks with two GSXR750's, I need all the tricks I can find. I use one of those rollover front wheel stand things on the trailer, they are excellent SCA Motorcycle Wheel Chock, Multifit - Supercheap Auto Australia.

On the MT09 I just strapped it using a ratchet strap either side on the bottom triple clamp, no rubbing on anything then and just wrap one around the back wheel too.
I made my own tie down hooks out of 1/4" thick aluminum, and they bolt onto the bike where the passenger pegs used to be...... even using the same bolts that held the passenger pegs on. You can buy factory made, beautiful hooks from Sato racing, but they are pretty expensive, and don't do anything different than my home made one. Sorry, I don't have any pics of them.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts