Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a trailer like this and was wondering if the type chock on it is sufficient to trailer the fz or would it be better to fit a condor type??? Trailer Vehicle Boat trailer Automotive exterior

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
No need for any chock when you have that angle in the front. Might want to add a piece of plywood to the left side so you can roll the bike up on the trailer and use the sidestand to hold the bike up. Then you have plenty of time to add the straps without needing any help.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mine has expanded metal on the sides and it lowers to the ground if you look close you can see the winch in front....i have never trailed a bike with the tire just up to a stop or wall always used a baxley chock....from what ive read it should be ok as long as its tied down good...

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
One thing you always want to do on a trailer like that which just has a rail instead of a floor is to either tie the back of the bike down also, OR..use a substantial strap and go around the rear wheel and the rail. That way the rear wheel can't jump out of the rail if you hit a hard bump.

·
Registered
158 Posts
One thing you always want to do on a trailer like that which just has a rail instead of a floor is to either tie the back of the bike down also, OR..use a substantial strap and go around the rear wheel and the rail. That way the rear wheel can't jump out of the rail if you hit a hard bump.
Definitely agree I have seen it happen with dirtbikes that even though they were super tight and you couldn't move them around by hand, one good bump and the rear wheel popped off which took the tension off of one of the tie downs on the front and next thing you know you have a pretty mangled bike in the middle of the road. Would hate to see this happen to an 09.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
C,mon Vern....two straps in the front compressing the front end....and two straps in the back compressing the rear end. How the hell could the bike jump up and off the rail?

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
C,mon Vern....two straps in the front compressing the front end....and two straps in the back compressing the rear end. How the hell could the bike jump up and off the rail?
CD.........go back and read my post again. I said "tie the back of the bike down"...........OR put a strap around the rear wheel and the rail. Either method will work and no need for BOTH

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Strap the back tire to the rail. If you are in a crash it will prevent the bike from flipping off the tie-downs onto the car in front of you. Happened to a friend in the 70's on the way to a motocross.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
luckily it has a place built in for front and rear strapping but I was just concerned about not having a chock on it HOLDING the front tire, never trailered one the distance I will be the fz....planning on hitting push mountain and the dragon in 15.....

·
Registered
272 Posts
I don't understand why you would want to trailer a fz09 when riding it would be alot more fun !!! (just kidding ) a strap on the rear wheel is always a good idea. I've never trailered a street bike but do my dirt bikes all the time with no mishaps RR:cool:

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
everybody at work says it should be fine also several there stated they didn't have a chock, ill do dry run before I hit the road and see how it acts.....im a good 8hrs from the dragon but only 3 from push mountain....really looking forward to getting away for a bit I have forgot how to live been so busy with my career THANKS for all the replies guys and yes I never would have thought about strapping the rear down very good idea I am glad I asked...

·
Registered
165 Posts
You'll be fine as long as your front straps are pulling the wheel into the chock (i.e. run them from the front rail of the trailer or the front corners). That forward pull will keep the wheel from being able to roll backwards and the lock really isn't necessary. A chock might help with loading/unloading though if you're doing it by yourself and don't have a way to put it on the kickstand.

The back, well, you know...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts