Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone make a trailer hitch for the fz09 / mt09? I used the search feature but got endless responces about towing the bike not the bike towing a trailer

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I seriously doubt it.

They aren't usually made for anything but a big touring bike as any other market segment would be to small.

If you want a trailer hitch on an FZ09, I expect you will need to make one.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Agreed. It is sacrilegious.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I guess the question should be, what are you wanting to tow with the trailer? How big of a trailer and does the trailer have its own brakes?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Seriously the FZ09 is a lite weight bike with suspension and brakes that are pretty easy to find the limits of. It's also short and can get twitchy. It's not a safe platform for hauling a trailer. Think tail wagging the dog.

Just because you CAN hook a race horse to a plow doesn't make it a good idea.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Seriously the FZ09 is a lite weight bike with suspension and brakes that are pretty easy to find the limits of. It's also short and can get twitchy. It's not a safe platform for hauling a trailer. Think tail wagging the dog.

Just because you CAN hook a race horse to a plow doesn't make it a good idea.
I agree.

If you want to haul more stuff than will fit on the bike, maybe the FZ09 is not the right bike for you. Maybe you a big touring bike or adventure bike would be a better, SAFER fit for your intended use.

·
Registered
241 Posts
River,

I admire your adventurous spirit, but Have you priced any of those trailers? I bet for what you spend buying a trailer and setting it up, you could buy a 10 year old sport touring bike that you could pile as much gear into it as you wanted (and it would probably be more comfortable going cross country than an 09). I picked up a '04 aprilia futura last year for $3,250, i can load up the bags and topcase with enough clothes and camping gear for two weeks and the thing still carves corners and pulls wheelies (118 hp at the crank). make sure you pick the right tool for the job.

·
Registered
263 Posts
River,

I admire your adventurous spirit, but Have you priced any of those trailers? I bet for what you spend buying a trailer and setting it up, you could buy a 10 year old sport touring bike that you could pile as much gear into it as you wanted (and it would probably be more comfortable going cross country than an 09). I picked up a '04 aprilia futura last year for $3,250, i can load up the bags and topcase with enough clothes and camping gear for two weeks and the thing still carves corners and pulls wheelies (118 hp at the crank). make sure you pick the right tool for the job.
I have been seriously considering trading in my FZ for a used Super Tenere. I love my FZ but for my size, the type of riding I want to do & the cheaper insurance the super tenere is the right tool for the job. My problem is as soon as I ride my FZ I change my mind and have to keep it. Ideally I would own both but cant swing that right now.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Cb024,
Believe me, if I could have both an fz09 and a super10, I would. My problem is I can never settle on one bike and I do a lot of different types of riding, im of the mentality that its better to have three $5000 bikes than one $15,000 bike. Does that mean that I'm never gonna own a super10? Not if I can help it! Im just going to wait a few years and buy it cash when these new 2014 models get down to around $7 or $8 grand.

Getting back to this trailer discussion, the guy who owns sharkskinz did a 6 month long tour of the u.s. and canada on his super10, he covered the whole story in his blog, its a fascinating read if your into that sort of thing, I will try to track down the link if I can. because of how long his trip was, he built a trailer hitch and pulled a harley style touring trailer with his s10, he even outfitted it with special wheels and bearings to deal with rough terrain. Now, this is a 1200 cc liquid cooled monster of a machine built for touring and rough terrain, and you know what the guy says everytime he removes the trailer "i cant believe how much faster and better this thing performs with out the rig on back", this is a bike that guys ride to the arctic circle and back with zero problems, and this guy is saying that adding the trailer on dogs the thing to the point that its worth comment every time he removes it, what would a similar set up do a 900 triple?

Keep your sport bike for sporting, if you want to haul a bunch of gear, you dont have to buy a truck, just buy a ural!

Reactions: CB024

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
River,

I have a dog that as a pup rode with me on my sv. he is now too big to rig up a box on the pillion seat. also have a second dog that loves rides in 4 wheelers, but doesn't enjoy the bike leaning. a small utility trailer with a dog create bolted to it and some form of a cage around it just incase.......this bike makes more than enough torque to do so.

slash in doggles.jpg

in short because this little guy (who loves to ride and gets excited every time I start my bike) is now 4' long and 65lbs

slash tennis ball.jpg

1 - 20 of 34 Posts