1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
663 Posts
I've seen people use them primarily on motorhomes, and primarily for small dirt bikes or enduros.

The defining point is what class receiver hitch to you have? A class IV would easily support the weight, but class II or class III hitches are more common. With a typical allowable tongue weight of 200 lbs or 300 lbs, you could be in trouble.

Another common issue, is it can block the view of your license plate.

Depending how stringent the law enforcement types are in your neck of the woods, you could be looking at a ticket for obscured license plate.

Where do you want to haul it? To somewhere with less snow?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just would be nice to have if the need would arise to take bike with on trips. Cant afford or store another trailer. And ya to go south would be awesome!!!

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Back when I was doing track days, if there was a moto on a hitch carrier, it was one of these. Everyone swore by them. Moto Tote's have a nice anti wobble system so the bike won't swing left and right in turns like the cheep ones (usually aluminum), this thing is made of steel and is SOLID.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Motorcycle

Not only obscured plate, but obscured brake lights. This just screams "stop me officer." Something to think about.

Maybe someone sells one with integrated tail lights, and plate holder? Then you may have a winner.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Just a FYI... they offer light kits... and it's not terribly hard to relocate a license plate...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lights and plate are easy fix. Thx for info!!

·
Registered
663 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thx for the pics. Thats the one i was thinkin about gettin.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Nice...but illegal in all three photos. Sorry man, it's the "cop" in me even though I'm retired. And actually, the ticket wouldn't worry me as much as getting rear ended by some jack ball who didn't see my brake lights. Those are some sweet bikes to use as a buffer.
For an additional $50 you can buy from several places magnetic tow lights. Google it and you will find a suitable set. I put them right onto the rail by the wheels and plug them into the trailer wiring harness. works like a charm. Something to remember though is the tongue weight. when you use this "Hitch Hauler" you are cantilevering the weight of the bike about 18" back from where you would "normally" hitch the tongue of a trailer. The weight will multiply so don't think your 400 lb bike is adding 400 lbs of tongue weight. Its more like 500 with the leverage factored in. Just a little something to think about. I haul dirt bikes on mine and have on occasion for short trips hauled heavier bikes but I also have air bags on my Caravan.

Reactions: Willowbilly

·
Registered
663 Posts
For an additional $50 you can buy from several places magnetic tow lights. Google it and you will find a suitable set. I put them right onto the rail by the wheels and plug them into the trailer wiring harness. works like a charm. Something to remember though is the tongue weight. when you use this "Hitch Hauler" you are cantilevering the weight of the bike about 18" back from where you would "normally" hitch the tongue of a trailer. The weight will multiply so don't think your 400 lb bike is adding 400 lbs of tongue weight. Its more like 500 with the leverage factored in. Just a little something to think about. I haul dirt bikes on mine and have on occasion for short trips hauled heavier bikes but I also have air bags on my Caravan.
There is a whole thread on the forum dedicated to physics. They may start chiming in on this one. lol

I agree with you that the plug in light set is a must for self preservation if nothing else. I've seen lots of small bikes hauled around this way. I just haven't seen a big bike on a hauler other than Internet pics.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Pictures for reference only, remote full functioning lights are attach to the end bar and for the license plate too.
Hitch tongue rate for 600 lbs, with the FZ09 on board only my back going 1 inch down.
I use to tow a 9500 lbs 30' boat with close to max tongue rate.

·
Registered
149 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cool. That pin would be good for my sled trailer too! Didnt know there was such a thing!

·
Registered
616 Posts
I know that you weren't really wanting another trailer, but think about this. I had a friend that bought the really cheap Harbor freight trailer. The trialer was only about 40"x48", and he paid $150 for it. He mounted a board and a chock on it. It's a lot easier on the support vehicle, has lights, and you can set it on top of your other trailer when not in use. They're only about 100lbs. I bought one, mounted a car top carrier on it, and towed it (behind my bike) with all my camping gear to rallies for years. Something to think about.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Came across this today and thought I would throw it out there for the folks that strap down their bikes to these carriers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This thread is a little old, but after a bunch of research. Just set up a hauler from discountramps.com with a Versahaul.
As mentioned earlier, need to have a Class III or Class IV hitch. You need to be able to carry at least 600 lbs of tongue weight.
I purchased LED lights off Amazon and wired it up.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Motor vehicle Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Motorcycle accessories

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Looks great. I have a truck, so I got ramps to get the bike into the box.

What are the laws on covering your car license plates? I would think you have to hang it behind the bike and have some illumination on it at night.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts