Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, Just bought my first FZ today and I'm pretty excited about it! I have been riding all off-road for the last 15 years or so and finally decided to pick up my first street bike. What are your guys feelings on trying a set of trail attacks on the FZ? I will be using it for mostly street riding but to like to every once and while hit a gravel/dirt road while out on a ride. When I look at the tread pattern it still looks like it would provide great grip on the street and just enough for some light dirt riding.The FZ has pretty good ground clearance, up right seating, and the suspension seems pretty soft which would be ideal. Anyone else thought of this?

Ross

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey Ross, I'm actually planning on putting a set of pirelli scorpion trail tires on my FZ for exactly this reason. I live on a gravel road but do 80-90% of my riding on pavement. I put a Set of scorpion syncs on my last SV and they were worlds better then the stock Dunlops.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Haha! I was wondering about that. Thanks for the heads up dangerous. Did you use B mode for break in? And did you break in hard or easy?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the ideas guys. Can anyone else suggest a better tire for a naked bike that can handle gravel/dirt better? It seems the trail attacks get pretty good reviews.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I rode once on some slushy snow- the first evening of the polar vortex in NY. It was only after I put my foot on the soft slush on the road that I knew it was too much. Even a slight blip of the throttle would send the monster torque to the rear wheel and the bike would start to slide...very very gentle output is what it needed. The Tires were losing grip as they were unable to throw out the snow that was sticking like glue. I "walked" the bike home...feet on either side, just letting the clutch go and got home (thankfully I was only 3/4 blocks away) through the rapidly piling up snow.

The dual road tires are supposed to help a bit I guess in throwing out the snow/water out of the way. How good are they? The tires are definitely one of my future upgrades- Pirelli Scorpions or Conti Dual attack?

·
Registered
204 Posts
I was originally thinking the same, but its way too much cleaning up afterwards.. So my FZ is strictly sticking to 'dry' asphalt.. I have a little KLX250sf, which is COVERED in dust and muck... Whenever i want to take it to the trails, that's what i use ! The missus wasn't exactly thrilled when I said, oh I'm not selling the KLX... It's my trail bike... lol

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
The tire makes next to zero difference on typical gravel roads. What makes a bazillion times more difference is learning how to control your right wrist and rear tire spin.

I've ridden lots of streetbikes, sportbikes, touring bikes, even with a passenger, on many miles of dirt and gravel roads. All you need to do is to be easy on the throttle on and off and even easier on the brakes and anything short of full knobbies will make very little difference in how the bike deals with dirt, gravel and other loose surfaces.

If you are expecting trail attacks to save your butt, you are sorely misled and will eventually regret it.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Agreed. Wrist control is most important.

However, I have ridden on a lot of gravel, deep mud, water, broken roads on a tiny 150 single at 15,000+ feet above sea level- the semi-dirt tires (only rear, sort of dual sport- something like these) were great in increasing traction, even if marginally. Similar bikes on more street tires were sliding around and definitely required more focus giving scary moments more than would be comfortable. The combination of light weight and low power was greatly helped with the tires and it's the same with larger bikes too. Otherwise, if there wasn't any difference, ADV bikes would be just shipped with street tires and thousands of (sport)tourers would never use them. Any boost in confidence, however small, is good in my books.
The torque of the FZ obviously needs more taming down on any loose surface. The Attacks are not those kind of semi-knobs/dual-sports but should help, even if maybe 2% (its a 90-10 on-road bias I believe)! Perhaps a traction control system would help things and of course, staying away from the stock A/STD mode.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Reactions: 9Ball and motorock

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Continental TKC-80s have pretty good reviews but I have no personal experience to back that up with.

Continental TKC 80 Twinduro Tire Review | Canyon Chasers Motorcycle Sport Touring

View attachment 2473

*not my bike BTW.*
I think i am going to get those, just once. I want to see if i can enjoy them enough to warrant the loss in mileage. Anything has got to be better than these dunlops which i doubt will last much longer. If i like them then fine i'll keep putting them on, and if not i will switch to PR's

Although i say this, at the last minute i will probably change my mind to buy something that i will use most often.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I think i am going to get those, just once. I want to see if i can enjoy them enough to warrant the loss in mileage. Anything has got to be better than these dunlops which i doubt will last much longer. If i like them then fine i'll keep putting them on, and if not i will switch to PR's

Although i say this, at the last minute i will probably change my mind to buy something that i will use most often.
I am thinking of them too. The Bridgestones seem to get grip quickly and think they may last a couple thousand miles more.
Its good to see that the review posted says that the on-surface feel was not affected much.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I am thinking of them too. The Bridgestones seem to get grip quickly and think they may last a couple thousand miles more.
Its good to see that the review posted says that the on-surface feel was not affected much.

This is the video that got me thinking :) Although they did raise the ducati and add a bash plate to protect the exhaust and i highly doubt they ever use half that bikes power.

The 09 is almost ready made for a conversion. And guess what tires they put on it TKC80's

More Info

Reactions: BugSpatteredJacket

·
Registered
389 Posts

This is the video that got me thinking :) Although they did raise the ducati and add a bash plate to protect the exhaust and i highly doubt they ever use half that bikes power.

The 09 is almost ready made for a conversion. And guess what tires they put on it TKC80's

More Info
If I had crazy money I would get that thing in a heartbeat.

I love the color scheme too.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
If I had crazy money I would get that thing in a heartbeat.

I love the color scheme too.
I would add some gun racks, but yeah it's sick because it just shouldn't be.

·
Registered
315 Posts
In an earlier post, someone asked about the Dunlop D616 tires, that look like Road Race rain tires.

Many Buell's came with these tires, a friend has them on his Ulysses, he said they are "Better than you would think" in the dirt / gravel.

I have to admit, I do like the tread pattern.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Those Dunlops look really nice I would think would be a good tread pattern for dirt..so many choices its hard to narrow it down.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
In an earlier post, someone asked about the Dunlop D616 tires, that look like Road Race rain tires.

Many Buell;s came with these tires, a friend has them on his Ulysess, he said they are "Better than you would think" in the dirt / gravel.

I have to admit, I do like the tread pattern.
That was me, and everybody shot me down. Glad somebody else likes the idea of more versatile tires now.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts