Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have sat at several traffic lights, turn lanes, only to have the light never change? Is anyone else experiencing this? I've never noticed this before, but I also used to live in the country and didn't have a bike made of so much aluminum. I know one of these days I'm going to get pulled over for running the red light, but what else can you do?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Check your local laws, often you can blow through one if it doesn't change after a while!

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
186 Posts
Get off and push one of the crosswalk things or run it. As long as "no one is around" as a cop told me, but if he is around you're probably caught seing as you can do a lot of things when no one is around.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I often move forward past the white stop line and, if there's a car behind me, wave at them to move forward to trip the detector. Usually works.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I push the crosswalk button all the time if no one else pulls up. When I see the guys there messing with the box changing the timing on the lights I'll stop and tell them about my problem with the light. I've gotten 3 of them fixed in my neighborhood as soon as I pull up they change.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Happens to me a lot when it's late at night and no other car is coming behind me to trigger the sensor.. I find coming across the lane slightly diagonal sets the sensor off most of the time..

·
Registered
127 Posts

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
If a car is behind you, you can pull up far enough that the car weight will set it off. Only time i run into this is late and night. And at that point, no one is around. So just run it if there are no cameras.

·
Registered
663 Posts
It's been a pet peeve of mine for years. It usually happens in the left turn lanes. A motorcycle doesn't trip the sensors in my neck of the woods.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Looked up what we can do here in WI:

A 2006 state statute says motorcyclists and bicyclists can go through red lights if they believe traffic signals aren't picking up their presence, if the intersection is free of cross traffic and if they've waited at least 45 seconds.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
385 Posts
A free solution for this is to look down at the road where the metal wires are embedded, put your bike in neutral and put the side stand down on top of one of the lines. This will trigger the magnet and change the lights.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Those products should work fine, but they are seriously BS. The detectors in the road work are magnetic, and when they detect the huge iron content of a car, they trigger the light. You can stick a strong magnet on your kickstand, and trick the detector into thinking you have a lot more iron between your legs than is actually there. Magnet: $5. Those detectors: $30

Might be worth a try before you go with one of the listed options.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Inductive loop detectors work on iron mass--close to the loop and preferably over more than one part of the embedded wire. For best chances, pull bike up to "corner" of the obvious rectangle of embedded wire. Side stand down might help. Rare earth magnets do NOT work and are a gimmick sold to motorcyclists. Someone will chime in and say they've always worked for them though, I'm sure.

Generally your best shot is to carefully proceed after 2-3 light cycles and explain to the officer that you had no choice but to safely proceed after the obvious failure of the city engineers to plan for smaller, legal vehicles on their roads….

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
From what I read....the magnetic kind of red light ground triggers were so faulty that they don't use them anymore. Most every one used now days is triggered by WEIGHT. Sometimes the bike is heavy enough to trigger it...sometimes not...so laws were modified that if you get stuck for ONE light cycle...and it won't turn green....you are allowed to proceed through the light with caution. If an accident occurs you will be held accountable. If a cop sees you run a light from a dead stop....you just explain that the ground trigger isn't designed for the weight of a bike.....and they won't ticket you.

·
Registered
200 Posts
From what I read....the magnetic kind of red light ground triggers were so faulty that they don't use them anymore. Most every one used now days is triggered by WEIGHT. Sometimes the bike is heavy enough to trigger it...sometimes not...so laws were modified that if you get stuck for ONE light cycle...and it won't turn green....you are allowed to proceed through the light with caution. If an accident occurs you will be held accountable. If a cop sees you run a light from a dead stop....you just explain that the ground trigger isn't designed for the weight of a bike.....and they won't ticket you.
I believe the law here in Texas still does not allow for a motorcyclist to do this. I read it a couple weeks ago while checking on aux lighting. I have one light on my commute that will not trigger so I usually bypass it and do a u turn at the median down the street if there is not a lot of other traffic. Otherwise, I make sure I am up far enough for the car behind me to trigger it.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I almost bought a Green Light Trigger a long time ago, but my state passed legislation that allows me to run the light if it does not turn.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts