Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So has anyone noticed that there are untapped mounts on the back wheel for traction control and/or ABS?

So I'd say that this means that another FZ will have traction control, and/or the new R6. What do you guys think?

Disc brake Auto part Vehicle brake Brake Wheel

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
80 Posts
I wouldnt buy a bike withtraction control. I feel if I can't ride a bike without that, I probably shouldn't be riding it(no offense to anyone at all). ABS is a good idea, that being said, I dislike it, if I wanna lock the wheel I should be able to, and if I can't emergency stop without locking the back, I practice. Again no offense to anyone who likes/wants either of those.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I kinda agree with Fzbolt. I think traction control and ABS are great for those who want them. And I am not against technology. But for me, motorcycles are unaffordable if I have to pay $50/hr for maintenance. I have to do it myself. And those features require maintenance tools that are beyond me.

·
Registered
654 Posts
there is TC for the FZ09 now, its made by Bizaaz

·
Registered
673 Posts
TC and ABS are great for first timers but not for me. I hate rider aids. The first thing I do on every demo ride is figure out how to turn it all off ! The new trend of stacking electronic aids onto bikes is getting silly. Wheelie control ? What the Hell for ? I want to wheelie and if I don't, I control the throttle. Launch control ? Maybe on a ZX-14 or H2 that lives on a drag track. Who needs that on the street ? I do understand that it helps lap times and all that jazz but people should be learning to control their bike instead of the other way around.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I bought MT-09 with ABS 2014 and is worth it... I wish I had TC...
No matter how experienced you are, there are moments when all the help you can get from technology are crucial to stay safe on your bike.
Little story....Got a call from VW to join experience day on special track with Golf GTI. We had to drive it for 5 laps and then fill the questionnaire.
As ex holder of national racing licence , I wrote that electronic was breaking to much.
Next task was to ride a track with our own cars. I cold not... was way to slippery...
At that moment... I realize the power of technology...

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
All the different models 09's use the same rims, just not all of them are drilled out for the TC and ABS added parts.

The FZ-09 rims are the same rims as the FJ-09, which has Traction Control and ABS, which can be switched off. I know because I have had my brothers FJ-09 sit beside my FZ-09 many times, lol.

ABS is an option on the MT-09's, and the new XSR900 comes with Traction Control and ABS as well. Probably the same TC and ABS system on the XJR as the FJ.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Perhaps one day via harmonization, GTR someone will attempt to require ABS in the US, and not just a universally acceptable ABS telltale light.
We'll see.

"Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards; Motorcycle Brake Systems; Motorcycle Controls and Displays"
https://www.federalregister.gov/art...rake-systems-motorcycle-controls-and-displays

Not that I'm a fan but...
"Motorcycle ABS benefits both high-risk and low-risk riders"
More evidence that motorcycle ABS works

"In the European Union, motorcycles with an engine displacement of more than 125 cc will be required to have ABS beginning in 2016."

·
Super Moderator
4,452 Posts
If there is any chance that ABS could save me the pain of a front end crash, I want it. I'm at the age that even a minor fracture could
knock me out of a full riding season.

I freely admit that I most likely don't have the skills, or brain power to modulate my braking in a panic situation.
I'll have to get with my pal that has an FJ09 and see what he has to say about how "intrusive" that system is.
If that ABS system is a good one and it became available on the FZ09, I would consider trading up.

·
Registered
673 Posts
If ABS saves you from a crash, it's good that you had it. Learning how to "panic" brake without ABS should be your goal. Go ride a new Ducati Multistrada with all the aids on, it's like you aren't doing anything yourself. I guess I just like manual vehicles. Even fly-by-wire bothers me, gimme an old cable please. Haha.

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
I said I'd never have another bike without ABS, and here I am on an 09. I still think it's a good idea, but with brakes that are powerful and with good feel you can live without it.
Funnily enough, in all the 35 years I've had ABS in cars and on my last bike I've probably only activated it less than 5 times in an emergency.
I have my doubts about traction control though. It may be necessary on hyperbikes, but the only times I've spun up the rear unintentionally, I dont think any TC would have done any better than biting donuts out of the seat cover and screaming. (I nearly highsided on the glassy wet patches of exposed tar that we get a lot of here. We call it summer ice.)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts