Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my fz09 to the track for the first time today and had a ball! We had an abnormally warm weekend around Dallas with temps in the 70's. The track was the 3.1 mile road course at motorsport ranch in cresson tx. The reason for the warmth was a very strong wind out of the south and my allergies where acting up all day. Also the wind made hanging on to the fz a little interesting at speed.

This was a member day at this track so we get 30 minute sessions with two groups of cars in between our turn. With just 20 or so bikes on such a large track we all run together and there where plenty of fast racers getting some pre-season track time in. I must have been the slowest one there but that's alright. I just rode my ride and they where good about getting around me safely. There where corners that 3 bikes went by passing on both sides but all with room to spare and I got a close up view of the line I should be taking.

I got three sessions in for a total of 1.5 hours on the track. Every session I felt better and was going quicker. Did not push too hard since I am still on the oem bridgestones. Honestly they did pretty well but I simply did not have the confidence that my dedicated track bike with race compound tires provide. Also I was not running warmers so I started with 30 psi front and 28 psi rear. Hot off the track they would expand to 34/31.

Already have some ideas to setup my suspension better next time and will probably mount up some lightly used dunlop q2's that I got last year for my vfr.

The fz09 definitely will not set any track records but if you have the chance to track yours, do it! It launches out of the corners like a sling shot!

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Wanted to post more detail in my OP but my thumbs where getting tired, posting from my phone.

Suspension work consists of 0.95 springs up front with 15wt maxima fork oil. Originally tried 10wt but even with full hard rebound damping those stiff springs would shoot back too fast. Out back I got the single clicker Penske from Stoltek and at my pace it worked just fine. Did not notice any fade or change in performance as the laps added up.

First session I had to train my right wrist to be extra smooth. Otherwise the jerky nature of the engine getting on and off the gas was very unsettling. Also my initial suspension set up witch felt fine on the street was lacking on the track. The bike just felt nervous and twitchy part due to my hamfisted throttle and part due to too little damping. Added another half turn of rebound to the forks and 4 clicks on the Penske and went back out in B mode. Much better so I pulled into the hot pit lane, added two more clicks to the shock and selected standard drive mode and was very happy the rest of the day.

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
Congrats on the track day on FZ. I did one at Road Atlanta back in November on stock suspension. Track days are always fun, but pushing that hard with the stock stuff......not so much. It's all good now though, Penske on the rear and heavier springs and fork oil in the front.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Congrats on the track day on FZ. I did one at Road Atlanta back in November on stock suspension. Track days are always fun, but pushing that hard with the stock stuff......not so much. It's all good now though, Penske on the rear and heavier springs and fork oil in the front.
Thanks triplethreat. I need to go back to your thread about changing the FZ09 to GP shift. I spent my whole first session retraining my brain to shift the right way. On the street its not a problem but when I am riding in track mode my brain instinctively reverts to GP shift.

Also wanted to mention the only prep I did was remove the license plate, tape up lenses and removed the head light fuse from the fuse block. Doing so also killed the brake light when applying the front brakes. The rear brake would still light the brake light and my running lights where still active. This track day was very lenient compared to some orgs. so YMMV.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts