Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to get some advice on thee FZ09's
You folks that ride your fz's on tracks, how do they measure up? good in stock form?

5'6 135lb rider here, no track experience on 2 wheels yet

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
At 135 lbs, stock suspension may work for you, at least in the Novice groups or Beginners groups. As your pace/skills advance, you are going to find that the stock suspension is less than desireable. Also, you will find a top speed of 132MPH on tracks that have enough room to see that, because of the speed limiter built into the ECU of the bike. I had mine at Road Atlanta last November and the 132 is all she's got, even on the back straight where I could see 170+MPH on my 1000RR. Ground clearance will become somewhat of an issue as you start to lean the bike over more and more. The peg feelers need to come off the bike when that happens. When you start touching them down, you'll need to work on better body position and getting off the bike more, in order to be able to lessen your lean angle for the same amount of corner speed.

Reactions: Greybush

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
That is you in the kart on the track?

What organization will you ride with first on the track? Even with the kart experience for your first rides on the track a good club etc that has a teaching component like Sportbike Track Time or Nesba is important. I don't know what is available in your area.

IMO suspension would be the first mods, but for your weight and a track-newbie pace you can go with the stock, just ease into it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
ok, i assume not too many fz09's tracking out there?
yes, those are my vids. am new to the 2 wheel world tho.

tracks at my disposal, laguna seca, sonoma raceway, thunderhill. ive raced at miller motorsports park also, hoping to ride all these tracks on a bike someday.
have you guys messed with ride height, lowering front maybe half inch? rear pre adjusted all the way down.

lots of trackdays around here, actually, ive rented Laguna seca few years ago, I had a kart group and partnered with a car group to fill the entries.
ive been talking to Keigwins , they are a well know outfit that put on trackdays

·
Registered
112 Posts
A lot of the track day venues will actually have someone there who will help you out with the suspension setup. It was nice because I was able to see what adjustments were made and learn from the whole setup process as there is A LOT to learn. However now I see the suspension is in desperate need of an upgrade after taking it to the limit on the track a couple of times. I am also 5'11 190 pounds. I pulled those feelers off as the bowl at Streets of Willow liked to touch them a lot more then I did. Main thing just focus on the turn in, throttle position, braking points, all that stuff etc. while enjoying the hell out of being on an FZ-09!

·
Registered
233 Posts
I took my FZ-09 to Sears Point (Sonoma Raceway) at the end of April. I'm heavier than you though at 185, and I would not have taken my FZ to the track had I not already upgraded the suspension with a Penske rear shock with stiffer spring, and stiffer fork springs with heavier oil- it was terrible for me before. The rear is much better now; the front still needs work. That said, this was my second track day- and the first on the FZ- and it was a blast. Handles well enough, and it's great to be able to use the bike without having to worry about debris, traffic, or law enforcement. Heading to Laguna Seca on Monday for my third track day, and second on the FZ. No mods since the last track day so hopefully things go well.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
ok, i assume not too many fz09's tracking out there?
yes, those are my vids. am new to the 2 wheel world tho.

tracks at my disposal, laguna seca, sonoma raceway, thunderhill. ive raced at miller motorsports park also, hoping to ride all these tracks on a bike someday.
have you guys messed with ride height, lowering front maybe half inch? rear pre adjusted all the way down.

lots of trackdays around here, actually, ive rented Laguna seca few years ago, I had a kart group and partnered with a car group to fill the entries.
ive been talking to Keigwins , they are a well know outfit that put on trackdays
Why would you even consider lowering the front end on this bike? The turn in response of this bike is very quick and very easy. Dropping the front end a 1/2 inch is huge on any bike, much less the FZ.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I also took my FZ-09 to Sonoma Raceway, but in May. It was my first track day. Bike was and still is 100% stock and I'm about 180 lbs. Even with an inexperienced track rider and stock suspension the FZ-09 outperformed all other bikes (30+) in Group C that day. It was a blast. I have been riding for more than 30 years, so there is some experience there, but never on a track. I'll definitely be taking the FZ-09 to a couple more track days this year. BTW, two of the instructors that work for Zoom Zoom Trackdays own an FZ-09. In talking with them the rear shock is the priority. I'll try to get that upgraded before the next track day. As another member mentioned, there will normally be someone at the track day that will tune your suspension. I recommend this regardless of upgrades or not. My major complaint was the "snatchy" throttle. Made it very hard to maintain smooth throttle control in the turns. It is a little easier on the track since you should always be in the mid to high RPM range anyway, but it was still an issue for me. The instructors that own this bike agree that it's snatchy, but said it provides good throttle control experience (and smiled). My other complaint is the foot peg feelers. Scraped the crap out of those. Easy fix, remove them, and work on body position to hold the bike up a little more.

Summary, I had blast taking the FZ-09 to the track. Passing all the $$$ (Ducatis and BMWs) on the "outside" of the turns (Group C only allows outside passing) was exhilarating to say the least.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Generally track day clubs don't allow passing in the turns for the novice group.

For the throttle issues, besides adjusting cable slack and maybe the TPS and throttle body balance IMO getting your ECU flashed is a priority. I prefer the Stoltec flash (in the Vender's section of the forum) but Flashtune should be similar and I think is in southern California.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Eric, you nailed it with the rear shock needing an upgrade for sure. And as you start to learn harder braking on corner entry, you'll soon discover (if you haven't already) that the front end has a lot of dive when the brakes are on hard.....even if you are very smooth on the application of the brakes. The throttle issue that you mentioned is certainly one of the issues with the FZ09 if you are not very smooth, both on and off. On the track, you should be able to keep the RPM's up enough (downshifting to a lower gear before entry) to keep the ECU from turning off the fueling on a completely closed throttle....and then getting back on it.

Our trackday organization (Sportbike Track Time) also allows passing on the outside in a corner and it's a lot of fun to run in a little deeper into a corner and then get it turned and drive by them on the outside. You gotta love the FZ's low end and mid range torque and the ability to drive away from a lot of bikes out there. The limiting factor is top end speed, once you get the suspension sorted and either get a reflash for the throttle thing or learn to be a lot smoother.

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
Nothing really new to share on this end that hasn't already been said...but...for me personally, the FZ-09's body positioning is the limiting factor. The pegs and seat are low and the bars are high (even with the clubmans). That said, it DOES work very well on the track. Just be aware that you're going to work harder to get your body in the right position as opposed to a full-on sportbike.

I'm hoping/praying to have the rearsets on the bike for the next track day(s) on 6/28 and 6/29...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Pocono (but forget which course)...

God willing!
Nick,

I will be at Pocono on 6/29. Hopefully pitting by the water tower. Please swing by if you get a chance. Would like to meet you, face and name thing. :) If not near the tower look for a blue Silverado with a big blue fish sticker on the rear window and white eazyup. Hope to see you there! I will be in the novice group with the 09.

·
Registered
369 Posts
So how does one go about signing up for a track day? I'm very interested, but never done one.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Cthouse, to get started on the track first find a club/organization that does a good job with track novices. Even if you are an expert street rider the track is a different environment, pick a good club.

https://www.teampromotion.com/event-schedule/ That is the one being talked about here, I haven't ridden with Team Promotion but have heard good things about them. Every track day club/organization worth it's salt should have a web site with lots of info. Also each track usually has a schedule etc that lists the clubs/organizations that ride there.

The best rack day clubs/organizations for novices are basically a track school but without the price of something that calls itself a "track school". Not that those are bad, shop around, ask other riders, etc to find the one right for you.

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
Nick,

I will be at Pocono on 6/29. Hopefully pitting by the water tower. Please swing by if you get a chance. Would like to meet you, face and name thing. :) If not near the tower look for a blue Silverado with a big blue fish sticker on the rear window and white eazyup. Hope to see you there! I will be in the novice group with the 09.
Awesome - was near the water tower today. I'm pretty beat, so I'll probably show up fashionably late...just be on the lookout for a blue WRX.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Had a great time on Sunday at Pocono raceway. Great big thanks to Nick for helping me with my suspension set up. Here is video from my last session.

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
As an intro-track rider, the FZ09 is perfect. Manageable powerband, manageable power delivery, pinpoint handling and wheelies wweeeeeeeee!

I could easily chase a few buddies on GSXR1k's through the whole course in C-Class, fast on the streets but not so fast on the track I tell'em. The 9er is much quicker in the corners with a good rider on the seat.

I'd highly recommend getting some better tires on it for more road feedback/communication with the track. Suspension isn't that big of a deal but consider what you have and your riding skill before dumping a bunch of cash into upgrades.

Reactions: dfir and MoFZio
1 - 20 of 20 Posts