Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright then, if your reading this its because your into track days. There's allot of tracks out here on the West Coast and I know there's allot of youz who want to take your FZ09 or track toys to the track.

I also know there is many of you with track experience that can help the rest of us noobs out with track info, bike prep etc.

I will start the conversation with:

I want to take my FZ-09 to the track(s)

My track experience is Streets of Willow (both directions) with California Superbike School on a BMW S1000RR

I still consider myself in the beginner class

I would like take my FZ09 to: Chuckwalla, Buttonwillow, Fontana, Big Willow and Streets of Willow.

I know of these organizations:

trackdays
ti2tt
motoyard

How should I prep my FZ09? Safety Wire, mirror removal, tape off lights etc..

Survival supplies?

Those are general questions

If you already have some track days scheduled let us know so we can join you.

If you have some dates in mind let us know too.

Streets of Willow June 28th & 29th?

Chuckwalla in September

Buttonwillow in August

Alright, who's in?

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Safety wire is usually not required for trackdays.

Coolant also needs to be removed and plain water put in instead.

After that, contact the trackday provider for their requirements.

Reactions: v2Bob

·
Registered
554 Posts
I'm doing my first track day at Sonoma on 6/28. We have a local riders forum and some of the season pass holders with z2 trackdays donated their guest passes to get noobs out there. I was the lucky recipient of one of the free track days!

The type of gear you use is another consideration and depending on your trackday provider different things may be required. Also regarding what motomania said about coolant I think distilled water is prefered to plain water depending on how hard your water is, or one of the non-glycol based coolants like water wetter, engine ice, mocool.

I cant believe I've been riding for so long and never did a trackday!

Daniel

·
Registered
835 Posts
I have my first track day on 6/22 at the Spokane County Raceway. Heading into the C class and focusing on control.

Our track sponsor recommends Water Wetter but doesn't require anything special aside from the usual stuff.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For you guys in the greater los angeles area, found this guy who provides transport service to and from track. He'll pick up your bike and drop it off. Prices are $100-$200 depending on the track. Pretty good deal if you want to avoid riding out to the track.

Email Oscar

[email protected]

Reactions: Reaper828

·
Registered
172 Posts
Does anyone have experience at Auto Club Speedway? Auto Club is only ten miles from my house so convenience is huge. But it seems everyone goes to either Chuckwalla or Willow Springs?

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Never been to AutoClub but I know there are track days there. Check their website calendar.

·
Registered
108 Posts
For Fontana Speedway
Fastrack Riders

Motorcycle Requirements

Operational Kill Switch
DOT or Road Racing Tires in Good Condition WITH Valve Caps

NOTE: Check with Tire Vendors for Pressure Recommendations
Fully Operational Front & Rear Brakes in Good Condition
Mirrors Taped or Removed
Glass and Plastic lenses Taped or Removed
License Plate Removed
Wheel Weights Taped
Unplug or Remove Fuses for Headlight, Taillight, & Turn Signals
Speedometer Taped
No fluid leaks or broken controls

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've done Fontana in car before, its fun for sure. But I think with the FZ09 you might struggle on the front straight.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Full leathers usually required at these venues, no? Rental is something like $80 + deposit from what I've read.

I'd love to get in on track days but the initial investment (or gear rental) plus transportation to/from track is what keeps me from getting in on it. That, and if I crash the bike (and break it), I've broken my primary mode of transportation. From what I understand, you're paying cash to fix the bike since you're SOL with insurance companies & track crashes.

So for someone like me, a best case scenario track day cost might break down to:
Water wetter- $10
Transportation to/from track $100-$200 *possibly optional depending on situation*
Track day ~$200 for parking, track access, tax and etc.
Rental Leathers $80
Drive to Chuckwalla and back in my cage, 340 miles, ~$100 in gas
~$40 in food drinks etc.
Gas for track riding $50
Motorcycle operating costs- oil, tires, brakes $???

So, does $500 - $700+ sound about right?

·
Registered
233 Posts
CLASS schools are OK with textile (not mesh though), and standard coolant is fine. They also rent leathers for $50 with a $50 deposit if memory serves. They do require taping or removing mirrors, signals, and brake lights (headlight OK). They also specify tires at 90%, but they seem fine with 50% tires as my son's Q3's were about that for our track day at Laguna Seca this past Monday and he passed their tech inspection without issue. They charge more than some of the other track days though- $375 for Sonoma, and $495 for Laguna Seca. It is a lot of fun though, particularly not having to worry about cars, debris, law enforcement, etc. Also, for their sessions, there's a photographer that partners with them and you can get your pictures from him for $75. Not always the best shots, but nice to have. Here's a composite picture that I made from two of the photographer's pictures putting my son on his Daytona 675 next to me on the FZ-09. He's much better than me....

Racing-LG-06-09-14-Me-Chris-Upload.jpg

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Full leathers usually required at these venues, no? Rental is something like $80 + deposit from what I've read.

I'd love to get in on track days but the initial investment (or gear rental) plus transportation to/from track is what keeps me from getting in on it. That, and if I crash the bike (and break it), I've broken my primary mode of transportation. From what I understand, you're paying cash to fix the bike since you're SOL with insurance companies & track crashes.

So for someone like me, a best case scenario track day cost might break down to:
Water wetter- $10
Transportation to/from track $100-$200 *possibly optional depending on situation*
Track day ~$200 for parking, track access, tax and etc.
Rental Leathers $80
Drive to Chuckwalla and back in my cage, 340 miles, ~$100 in gas
~$40 in food drinks etc.
Gas for track riding $50
Motorcycle operating costs- oil, tires, brakes $???

So, does $500 - $700+ sound about right?
could be more or less.. If you find someone to go with you can split the transportation costs. Most of the track days i've seen range between $100-$150 depending on the track. Not sure about taxes, but I would imagine that the base track day fee covers parking and track access. In some cases if you do 2 days you can camp out on the track and get more bang for your buck.

one of the reasons I started this thread so we can coordinate ride shares to the track.

As long as you don't ride beyond your limits you will not crash. The track marshals are pretty good about making sure everyone is riding safe.

One thing I noticed at the school is that I was not really comfortable until the last few sessions of the first day. When I came back the next day I was able to pick up where I left off and continue improving. Meaning, if its your first time and you only go for one day, you may leave a bit disappointed because you cannot follow up right away on all the progress you made. Think of day 1 as your warm up and day 2 as your real fast day.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Had a blast at Sonoma Raceway with Pacific Track Time (pacifictracktime | Welcome) a few weeks back. It was my first track day. They didn't require anything special to be done to the bike, just tape over the lights, mirrors, and turn signals. Piece of cake. I rode down there from the Rogue Valley Oregon, spent the night at the track, and just taped everything up in the morning and hit the track! Graduated from C-Group to B-Group in my first day (with the awesome instruction from their Rider Racer Development Program).

Bike requirements: nada, just some masking tape.

Gear requirements: Full-face helmet, gauntlet gloves (I think), full leathers (one piece, or two piece with a 360 degree zip), full-length riding boots.

This photo was from an early-morning sighting lap. Wish I had some cooler shots from later in the afternoon, when I really started to get after it!

Sonoma-w-BMW.jpg

(Check out the fully-loaded 1200 GS adventure bike in the background! Run what you brung...)

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
2000 to 2003 I did about 45 track days. (My name is Bob, I'm an addict.)

My "home" track is just under 2 hours drive by a slow bike-hauling-van, I did that one from home and just one day even if the club had track days on both Saturday and Sunday.

For tracks further away I'd get a room near the track for the nights before/between and do both days. At the end of the 2nd day I'd drive home, or at least start. Careful about fatigue, would feel silly to do well at the track and run off the interstate on the way home.

"$495 for Laguna Seca" is robbery for just a track day, but if that was the only way I could do a day on Laguna I'd pay it once. A lot of fun to see a track you have ridden on TV.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I cant wait to hit the track. Saving pennies for leathers now.
I found a set of 99% new Alpine stars on craigslist for under $500, I might be trying them out tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 69 Posts