Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I m off to Taupo on the 26th for my first visit to the track in 23 years!......any one fancy a day out?......just got a Nitron shock Andreanni cartridges and a new set of q3s...so should have fun....any advice on the pressures for the Q3s......we should be around 22 degrees.....

·
Super Moderator
5,752 Posts
If the Q3 that you guys get are the exact same Q3's that we get here in the U.S., I would start out at 27 psi in the rear and 29 psi in the front....COLD PRESSURE before you go out on the track. Sounds like you will most likely be running in the Novice or 3rd group, so give those numbers a try. I've seen where guy will run 25 rear and 27 front, but I haven't tried those number. I did run the first numbers that I posted (the 27/29 combo) in the Q3's when I took my FZ to the track right after I bought it. Have fun and prepare for the "addiction" to ensue.

One other thing. I have no idea how high the temperature will go that day, but make sure at lunchtime that you park the bike in the shade (out of direct sunlight) and let the tires cool to ambient temperatures. Then check pressure again right before you go out........you may need to make adjustments to the pressure again.........putting them back to the 27/29 pressures that I posted.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Make sure you are seeing Dave Moss and his Suspensions class... here are the details (check his FB page);

New event added to the NZ calender:

Tuesday February 24th at Courtesy Motorcycles, Palmerston North:

Home : Courtesy Motorcycles - New and Used Suzuki and Triumph Bikes
Phone: 06 356 2195

To book in contact
[email protected]

Dave Moss
February 17 at 7:38pm ·

Up to date schedule for NZ prior to me being off the grid:

19 Trevor Pierce Yamaha evening seminar 6-8pm
20 Test day at Ruapuna with trackside tuning to competitors
21 Ruapuna sound of thunder with trackside tuning
22 Ruapuna sound of thunder with trackside tuning

23 Travel day: possible evening seminar (TBA) in Palmerston North
24 open
25 Travel day: Taupo (possible evening track walk / class at Taupo)
26 Taupo test day / suspension school ** travel to CHCH 8pm
27 Ruapuna test day / suspension school ** and evening event at First European
28 First European Dealership suspension tuning street ride

March
1 Private event
2 open
3 AMC seminar
4 open
5 Rideforever.com.nz
6 Test day at Pukekohe / suspension school **
7 Cycletreads seminars
8 Potential road ride suspension tuning session Auckland (8 riders)
9 Return to US from Christchurch @ 6.20am

Book in for the schools as places are starting to be taken now people realize I'm getting on a plane! Contact me directly to book in: [email protected]

2015 Calendar | Feel The Track

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for that.....it s great to get a heads up on the tyres.......I m looking forward to seeing how I feel all these years of no track time.....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
127 Posts
i would do 30 in the front and 30 in the rear, any lower than that the tires are going to heat up too much and get greasy. those are tire pressures ive ran before for novice/intermediate.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hi JOJO

Sounds like fun, just abit far for me.

I had 32/36 on my T30's and they were a little high for Hampton Downs (2nd track day ever and first for 15yrs), i had a very slight amount of cold tear on one side of the rear.
After a lot of reading I will be trying 30/30 next time out (on 27th for a track evening).

I have the ZX10R rear, with new springs/oil up front, bike was great and ripped out of the turns, only downside was the speed restriction along the straight, also felt a little light over the bump at the kink on the straight.
Also front brake at the end of the 3rd/4th session had a slight lack of pressure, but as there was 1/2nr between they did come back.
Finally the peg feelers are a bit low so they scrape pretty easily, so be careful if like me you tend to throw it on its side at turns (for fun)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Make sure you are seeing Dave Moss and his Suspensions class... here are the details (check his FB page);

New event added to the NZ calender:

Tuesday February 24th at Courtesy Motorcycles, Palmerston North:

Home : Courtesy Motorcycles - New and Used Suzuki and Triumph Bikes
Phone: 06 356 2195

To book in contact
[email protected]

Dave Moss
February 17 at 7:38pm ·

Up to date schedule for NZ prior to me being off the grid:

19 Trevor Pierce Yamaha evening seminar 6-8pm
20 Test day at Ruapuna with trackside tuning to competitors
21 Ruapuna sound of thunder with trackside tuning
22 Ruapuna sound of thunder with trackside tuning

23 Travel day: possible evening seminar (TBA) in Palmerston North
24 open
25 Travel day: Taupo (possible evening track walk / class at Taupo)
26 Taupo test day / suspension school ** travel to CHCH 8pm
27 Ruapuna test day / suspension school ** and evening event at First European
28 First European Dealership suspension tuning street ride

March
1 Private event
2 open
3 AMC seminar
4 open
5 Rideforever.com.nz
6 Test day at Pukekohe / suspension school **
7 Cycletreads seminars
8 Potential road ride suspension tuning session Auckland (8 riders)
9 Return to US from Christchurch @ 6.20am

Book in for the schools as places are starting to be taken now people realize I'm getting on a plane! Contact me directly to book in: [email protected]

2015 Calendar | Feel The Track
Hi I thought I'd have a look and see if they are doign any up Norht, but cant seem to find out, other than they are in NZ.
Do you have a list of venues??

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The venues are listed on the itinary posted by devils thorn.....I ve spoken to Robert at KSS and he is running a similar programme in Auckland.....so that would work well for you....

·
Registered
137 Posts
The venues are listed on the itinary posted by devils thorn.....I ve spoken to Robert at KSS and he is running a similar programme in Auckland.....so that would work well for you....
Thanks, didn't get that far down, will drop him an email

1 - 10 of 10 Posts