Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey! I've had the FZ-09 since November and have put about 6800 miles on it. This past sunday I took it out to Spring Mountain Motor Raceway and put it through it's paces. I was a little skeptical about how it would do given the suspension is not the greatest but the bike did well!! I rode in B group throughout the day and passed most of the riders on the track on sportbikes. I was really impressed with how capable and stable the bike was in the corners and its torque was a big advantage over many of the 600's when powering out of corners. That said, under hard braking the front end dive is pretty ridiculous even at the stiffest setting. I'm 6'3" and 175 lbs. and found that besides the brake dive, the suspension wasn't too bad if you're smooth on the inputs and have decent body position.

One big gripe I had was the rearsets. Not necessarily the rearsets themselves but the passenger pegs behind them. I wear a size 13 and was unable to get my feet on the pegs properly because the passenger pegs were in the way. If you have a smaller foot size it may be a non-issue, but if you're like me and plan to do some track time definitely find a way to get them off. Another thing that was a bit annoying was the tach. The tach gets real hard to read if the sun is right on it, and requires a solid stare to get a read even in best conditions. I have the stock exhaust system and it was a little hard to hear the engine over the wind noise, so it was hard to tell where the RPM was at just by sound. I found that it wasn't such a big deal as the day went on and I got used to the feel of the bike. The brakes did seem to be lacking as hard braking wasn't the best. Unless I was doing it wrong, which is possible.

They weren't lying when they said the bike can achieve a pretty good lean angle. I was able to drag knee by the 2nd session of the day and the feelers on the peg got ground down to almost nothing by the end of the day. Even all the way over the bike felt solid, which was a surprise since I considered the bars to be a little "floaty" at times. Overall while it isn't a track killer, it's a fantastic bike and I plan to put many more miles on it!! Oh I also switched out the stock tires for Dunlop Q3's the day before the trackday. Best tire I've ever used and compliments the bike well! While near full lean I was able to give it full throttle in 2nd gear with confidence that the rear tire would stick all day.

CNtWLi6l.jpg
UVyLAdAl.jpg
_L_75086.JPG

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Welcome the forum, thanks for the track report. Check out Stoltec in the venders section, he has suspension and a lot of other goodies for riders using the 09 as a sport bike. I'm going with Buell clubman bars to get my weight on the front.

·
Super Moderator
5,752 Posts
Nice TD report and welcome to the forum. Get the peg feelers off and utilize all of that 51 degrees of lean angle. I rode mine at Road Atlanta back in November, when the suspension was totally stock and you're correct, the front end dive is horrible with hard braking, but certainly curable with some Stoltec-Moto suspension mods. I actually found the stock brakes to be pretty good, although there is certainly room for improvement. Stainless/braided lines will definitely improve the brake feel. I also put Q3s on mine and found them to be a very good tire and probably quite capable for use up through the intermediate group.

Reactions: JujuFz09

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Ate the q3s more of a track tire or good on the road also?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
657 Posts

They are a great street tire for grip, and a solid track tire. They are not a high milage tire though by any means.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Another thing that was a bit annoying was the tach. The tach gets real hard to read if the sun is right on it, and requires a solid stare to get a read even in best conditions. View attachment 4364
Totally agree, never been a fan of the LCD tachs.

Nice work on shaving those pegs down!

Reactions: JujuFz09

·
Super Moderator
5,752 Posts

I run the Michelin Power Cup on my track bike, so the Q3s are for the FZ09. So far, they have been an awesome tire as far as stickiness. I haven't rode in the rain with them, but they are suppose to be good there too. They do heat up quick and provide good feedback. I run 30/30 cold pressure on the street and honestly, I care a lot more about grip than I do how long they are going to last. If they don't stick in the corners, they don't belong on my bike.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I agree with Buck and Triplethreat, very good tire on the street but they will wear a little fast depending on how you ride them. They warm up faster than any other tire I've ever used so very grippy on typical road conditions.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
What dual compound rear tire has the side grip of the Dunlop Q3 but a longer lasting center? A rear like that with a Q3 front sounds good to me.

·
Super Moderator
5,752 Posts
A Michelin PR4 would have a harder center compound for sure, but I'm not sure the side grip would be up to the Q3's level. Maybe someone else can comment on that.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Thanks Vern. Will be awhile before I decide about mixing tires like that. My 09 came with the Bridgestones and they should be fine for me until they wear out especially sense I'm re-learning to ride lol.

Then I'll probably try Q3s front and rear for a baseline of modern sport tires and see how it goes. I'd like to get 3k miles from the rear doing spirited twisty riding, but I love the 09 acceleration so I have my doubts lol.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I'm looking forward to putting the stock S20's to the test. They are a dual compound tire as well.

Q3's are also similar to the Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa's, which I am a big fan of. Mileage is reasonable for a hyper-sport tire, and grip is fantastic.

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of a tire that has DOT tire traction on the sides, but sport touring mileage down the center. That would be a fantastic combo.

Reactions: v2Bob

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I haven't decided where to buy tires online yet (I change my own), what is a good place? Maybe not the absolute lowest price but good advice, service etc? Revzilla?

I might ask them what they recommend for a rear to go with a Q3 front. Heh, though for liability etc they might just say to use matched sets.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I haven't decided where to buy tires online yet (I change my own), what is a good place? Maybe not the absolute lowest price but good advice, service etc? Revzilla?

I might ask them what they recommend for a rear to go with a Q3 front. Heh, though for liability etc they might just say to use matched sets.
Bob, I can't recommend any US tire shopping sites, but I've also been thinking about pairing a sport touring rear with a sport front. Thinking maybe the new Bridgestone T30 rear paired with an S20 front.

I would say just get on the Dunlop site and look at profile differences between the rear tires. Comparing Q3 against RoadSmart 2 for example.

·
Super Moderator
5,752 Posts
Sportbike Track Gear usually has very competitive pricing on tires, as does Motorcycle Superstore. Personally, most of my tires come from Sportbike Tire Service out of Michigan, but they focus more on Trackday/Race tires and carry Michelin and Dunlop...so you may or may not find the tire YOU are linking for there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts