Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I finally made it out to Chuckwalla with the FZ-09, and a friend with his FZ.
I also brought out my pride and joy, an 89' FZR1000.

I always attend SoCal Trackdays because of the no-session format, the best way to run a track day in my opinion. I managed over 180 miles on the track.

I have 2800 miles on the FZ, and the stock rear Dunlop is trashed now. I have the rebound and pre-load on the shock maxed out, as well as the forks. I am around 230lbs with leathers and all. I could not get the bike as far over as I wanted, because I was dragging the feelers, and then the pegs. I figure my fat-ass was weighing down the bike and making it squat too much in the corners. Anyways, next upgrade is def. a shock and some sticky track shoes.... then ill give the dedicated track bikes a run for their money.

face2.jpg face3.jpg face4.jpg face5.jpg face6.jpg

·
Registered
473 Posts
Wow I recognize that 89 FZR 1000! Two headlights and the white rims. I bought that bike brand new in 1989. What a machine!

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
did you run a lap timer? do you have any pics of the trashed dunlop? what windscreen is that?

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Nice pics and it is always fun doing a track day. If you are going to frequent the track on the FZ, you will probably want to get the ECU flashed to get rid of the top speed limiter. It will start affecting the engine at 10K RPM in fifth gear, and 8500? RPM in sixth gear. I hit it every time on the back straight at Road Atlanta....it sucks for sure!

Forgot to [email protected] is the go to hit for the flash.

Reactions: marthy and v2Bob

·
Registered
226 Posts
I went to Chuck late last year on my R6. Very cool track, though I only got to run it counter clockwise. I'd love to get the FZ out there too.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was not running a transponder. SoCal requires you to have previous track experience, hence the no session format, so I was out there with dedicated race bikes mostly. There are a few street legal rides, but not many. In stock form, that FZ really gives me my money's worth. I could keep up with all but a few of the fast guys who regularly race the local series at the track. It pulls hard on a 4cyl 600, and I had a sweet battle with a new GSX-R 750. It gives up nothing on the straights, because it pulls so hard out of the corners. I never made it past 4th gear, as the straights at Chuckwalla are not that long.

I do not have pictures of the rear tire, but it looks like a tire that's been thrashed at the track I guess...

Not sure what shock I am going with. I have been skimming Ebay looking for an Ohlins from a ZX10. I know some people who have scored one for cheap.

The windscreen is the ERMAX screen. Its the the taller version they sell. I like it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I love Chuckwalla, I used to run a racebike out there once a month for a couple years. What a fun track! SoCal Trackdays rock!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I love Chuckwalla, I used to run a racebike out there once a month for a couple years. What a fun track! SoCal Trackdays rock!
I am moving back to AZ here soon. We will have to do some riding when I get back. Im always down for some Vulture Mine Road, Yarnell, Bagdad runs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts