Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello !

I have a strange problem that holds on for some time now.
My Tracer is an 2018 GT with full MIVV exhaust system + 2WDW flash.

Sometimes during a cold start the rpms seem to "stick" higher than normal cold run idle after pulling the throttle a little.
But the real problem is that the bike seems to lack significant power under full throttle.

For example during acceleration from 50 km/h (30mph) to 100 km/h (~60mph) in 6th gear everything is fine until i cross 3/4 throttle. Then it seems to hit a "wall" and creeps up to speed, often hardly accellerating at all.
This happens in all gears but most noticeable in 5th and 6th, through all modes, TCS on and off.
After hitting higher rpms it seems to be gone but it isn´t because it lacks power to even go beyond 190 km/h (120 mph).

I would be glad to get some suggestions to try and fix this before I take her to the dealership.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does it do this same thing in all throttle modes? When did the problem start?
All throttle modes, with and without TCS.
It started some 1000 Kms ago I think.
At first barely noticeable, now easy to reproduce.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I found the culprit, so to speak.
Something was clogged. This is what is left of my catalytic converter. I am surprised that I didn´t notice a greater difference.

Does the mapping still work if I just rip out the wavy metal part? Tried riding it without the piece, it was deafening.
What could cause such deformation?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Jeeze... that looks awful.
I wonder what caused that? Backfiring or something? Poor construction of the metal element?
Looks like it was impacted.

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
962 Posts
You should be fine to just rip out the wavy metal parts - do you have to have a catalyst installed for legal reasons - MIVV lists that as an 'optional' part so you may be able to contact them and get the plain baffle instead:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Or if you have access to a grinder, or an appropriate saw you could just cut it off right here:
I have it installed for passing emissions although i think i will just rip out the catalyst and see what happens next MOT check.

Jeeze... that looks awful.
I wonder what caused that? Backfiring or something? Poor construction of the metal element?
Looks like it was impacted.
It surely wasnt impacted, I will contact MIVV too and see what they say.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Was wondering if backfiring/AIS is that percussive that it could flatten the elements. Maybe a mixture of high heat and backfiring.

But do tell us what they say. Very interesting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Was wondering if backfiring/AIS is that percussive that it could flatten the elements. Maybe a mixture of high heat and backfiring.

But do tell us what they say. Very interesting.
Well technically the flash should disable AIS Valve. But I think block off plates give an extra % to this.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts