Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just put a deposit down on a red one to be delivered in May. Currently on an FJR1300 which I've had for 5 years. Every year it seems to get 50 pounds heavier so it's time to go on a diet. Looking forward to sharing my experiences with the group.

bagmanhd1

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
1,316 Posts
Welcome aboard - and just in case you haven't found it there is a tracer specific forum....I can't recall the name of it but I'm sure a google search would turn it up for you.

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
1,193 Posts
Welcome aboard - and just in case you haven't found it there is a tracer specific forum....I can't recall the name of it but I'm sure a google search would turn it up for you.
I got banned from the Tracer forum. This one is way better. In fact, I got an MT 10 and the same guy owns that forum too. When he realized I was on that forum he banned me from there also. No big deal, it was maybe the most boring motorcycle forum ever.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I got banned from the Tracer forum. This one is way better. In fact, I got an MT 10 and the same guy owns that forum too. When he realized I was on that forum he banned me from there also. No big deal, it was maybe the most boring motorcycle forum ever.
lol.. what'd you do?

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
1,193 Posts
I was trying to sell a stock exhaust for whatever someone wanted to offer. If someone offered $1 plus shipping I would have done it. I was trying to clean out my garage and help someone out. They insisted that I had to put a price on it. A moderator messaged me and I explained what I just said above and that was more than they could handle. No back talk allowed. They were so heavy handed that I just refused to price it and they banned me from that forum and then the MT 10 when he figured out I was on both. There such a small number of Tracers and MT 10 sold that they were pretty small forums and were over managed. Good riddance. What really stupid is that I can still get on them anyway. I just don't.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I was trying to sell a stock exhaust for whatever someone wanted to offer. If someone offered $1 plus shipping I would have done it. I was trying to clean out my garage and help someone out. They insisted that I had to put a price on it. A moderator messaged me and I explained what I just said above and that was more than they could handle. No back talk allowed. They were so heavy handed that I just refused to price it and they banned me from that forum and then the MT 10 when he figured out I was on both. There such a small number of Tracers and MT 10 sold that they were pretty small forums and were over managed. Good riddance. What really stupid is that I can still get on them anyway. I just don't.
Nahhhhh you lost their remote..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Picked up my 2021 Yamaha Tracer 9 GT mid-July 2021 in Toronto, took it for two-weeks 6000Km ride to Nova Scotia, Canada. After riding a few hours in heavy rain; right screen stopped working for two days, it was coming on momentarily and then go off again.
Since that day Wheel switch (menu), MODE switch and MODE UP/DOWN switch are not working, I am unable to use these switches to change screen information layout, modes, heated grip, etc… Basically I cannot change anything, or even go to setup menu.

This bike don’t seem to be designed to survive riding in heavy rain, or maybe it is just mine having this issue. I have to find time to take it to dealer to have it fixed.
Here is the link to video showing right screen going on/off.

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
2,918 Posts
Just so you know...

This bike don’t seem to be designed to survive riding in heavy rain, or maybe it is just mine having this issue. I have to find time to take it to dealer to have it fixed.
That sucks. Let us know how the warranty goes...

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
1,316 Posts
Picked up my 2021 Yamaha Tracer 9 GT mid-July 2021 in Toronto, took it for two-weeks 6000Km ride to Nova Scotia, Canada. After riding a few hours in heavy rain; right screen stopped working for two days, it was coming on momentarily and then go off again.
Since that day Wheel switch (menu), MODE switch and MODE UP/DOWN switch are not working, I am unable to use these switches to change screen information layout, modes, heated grip, etc… Basically I cannot change anything, or even go to setup menu.

Here is the link to video showing right screen going on/off.
Many MFG's have issues like this with a 'new' model - I don't know why - if Yamaha posted here they were willing to give a free 22' model to anyone who would ride it 10k in the first 6 months and report back issues and such they'd have so many testers they'd have to deliver the bikes wearing riot gear. I'm sure if the issue is wide-spread they'll issue a notice and have the dealers re-route the wires or replace the connector with one that is better sealed or whatever.

Asside from the poor electical connections how is the rest of the bike?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Many MFG's have issues like this with a 'new' model - I don't know why - if Yamaha posted here they were willing to give a free 22' model to anyone who would ride it 10k in the first 6 months and report back issues and such they'd have so many testers they'd have to deliver the bikes wearing riot gear. I'm sure if the issue is wide-spread they'll issue a notice and have the dealers re-route the wires or replace the connector with one that is better sealed or whatever.

Asside from the poor electical connections how is the rest of the bike?
one other issue i noticed in my 6000km trip is; annoying/numbing buzz on right/throttle side of handlebar at highway speed around 5500 RPM, 6th gear that is around 130km. Left/clutch side is very smooth. I plan to add a heavy bar-end to the ight/throttle side of handlebar to see if it helps.

other than that i cannot think of any other issue. Bike is as comfortable as my previous bike, 2014 R2100GS, engine and transmission is very smooth and refined, quick-shifter is very smooth up/down from 2500rpm all the way to 7000 RPM. Exhaust and induction sound is nice and noticeable to rider without being annoying to bystanders or long trips.

throttle is not jerky at all in all modes (when i was able to change modes before this electrical issue), so new fully throttle-by-wire system works.

overall i like the bike if Yamaha can fix wet-weather electrical issue i have now, otherwise, i will go back to BMW R1250GS, my buddy owns that bike and he was in this bad weather riding trip with me, he had no problem at all.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I hope your dash problem is resolved. That's really strange. Not the same bike, but my 2015 FZ09 has been parked outside w/o any cover for my entire ownership. Rain and ice haven't caused any problems with it. (Dash or otherwise.)

I'd suspect a seam isn't sealed somewhere if you suspect moisture ingress.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Snow City Cycle Marine that is Authorized Yamaha dealership send me $149.16 invoice for diagnosing problems with switches (mode, Wheel switch, etc...) not working, and right-side screen going off/on. my bike is only two months old and I believe these problems must be covered fully under 1-year Yamaha warranty document here https://shopyamaha.com/help/limited-warranty.

I really, really regret buying this Yamaha motorcycle.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
dealership send me $149.16 invoice for diagnosing problems with switches
I'd tell them they accidentally put your address on this bill instead of Yamaha's. That's ridiculous.

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
2,918 Posts
Well... You seem to be insinuating that this is a “Yamaha” issue, but the diagnostic charge you received is definitely a dealer issue! This is clearly a warranty item, and should cost you zero dollars.

It’s unfortunate that your bike has this problem, but I’m pretty sure this was either a defective unit, or a mistake was made during assembly, and not an all-encompassing design defect. In any case it can and should be resolved by Yamaha. If your dealer doesn’t eat this, I would contact Yamaha directly.

I hope this doesn’t sour your opinion of Yamaha, because there isn’t a single brand out there that hasn’t had issues like this come up. It’s a complicated piece of machinery, and mistakes do happen. It’s how your dealer handles it that‘s important, and so far your dealer is failing...

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
1,316 Posts
..... It’s a complicated piece of machinery, and mistakes do happen. It’s how your dealer handles it that‘s important, and so far your dealer is failing...
this is 100% true - sucks that you pulled the sort straw this time. If the dealer gives you a hassle when you point out that this is a warrenty issue, I'd look for another nearby dealer. Some dealers really aren't very good at the whole customer service thing. The only way to correct that is to complain to mother yamaha, and to take your money (and the warrenty money that Yamaha will credit to the dealer that does the work) to another dealer that is doing a better job.

Snow City Cycle Marine that is Authorized Yamaha dealership send me $149.16 invoice for diagnosing problems with switches (mode, Wheel switch, etc...) not working, and right-side screen going off/on.
Did they at least find and fix the problem you were having? Would love to know what they found the issue to be.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Snow City Cycle Marine that is Authorized Yamaha dealership send me $149.16 invoice for diagnosing problems with switches (mode, Wheel switch, etc...) not working, and right-side screen going off/on. my bike is only two months old and I believe these problems must be covered fully under 1-year Yamaha warranty document here https://shopyamaha.com/help/limited-warranty.

Even among authorized dealers, there are good dealers and bad ones. Water in the screen and switches causing malfunctions is absolutely a warranty issue. You could even argue it's a safety issue.

Don't regret buying a Yamaha, regret buying from that particular dealership.

Contact Yamaha Canada and let them know about this, and mention the dealer name.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just received following email from Yamaha, and a text from dealership saying they are processing warranty claim (AKA pre-warranty authorizatio) to Yamaha Canada. They haven't told me what the failures/defects are yet. I am sure it will take at least a week or two to sort things out. I will keep you posted. I no longer feeling distressed or anxious, at least they have responded and extended their empathy.

"YMCA_Customer_Relations <[email protected]>
Good afternoon Siamak, This is quite unfortunate given that this took place over a two week road trip.
Please have a dealer inspect your unit and submit a pre-warranty authorization. If this is considered a factory defect, we will have this part replaced at no cost to you.
If you have any further questions, feel free to contact us.
Thank you
Bryan "

1 - 20 of 20 Posts