Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Four of us left Taos last Monday, rode to Alamogordo via the backroads east of ABQ, then a day around Cloudcroft... hiway 130 was especially twisty... found the Lodge of Cloudcroft, nice. Then over the mountains to Cruces, Hatch and Hillsboro. Took the twisties to Silver City... like 200 turns... 2nd or 3rd gear all the way. Got to within a quarter inch of using all the tread on that one... PB! Then up to Glenwood... amazing, there is a county the size of Connecticut with 3600 people over there. Then up to Grants and buzzed home in front of a big storm coming from the west.

The SC seat seems to be a winner. I had the "slick" material put on the top so I could move around easier on the twisties and that works great!

The suspension seems to be solid with the mods so I'm happy except I can still feel some of the "tar snakes" but maybe the forks will relax in time.

Overall I got about 54 mpg but still had the smallest tank of all the bikes and had to stop for gas all the time. This small tank really gets tight in the remote areas where gas can be 100 miles away or more. Never pass a gas station...

Might post some pics later but most are static and not too interesting.

Great weather!

We did not do Az 191 this time.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Awesome. Looking forward to pics. I drove through New Mexico some years ago (never been before)...amazed how beautiful the scenery was.

·
Registered
187 Posts
used to live there. theres thousands of miles are pure awesome down there. nothing beats a desert sunrise or sunset ride

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Sounds great. We will be there week after next. Starting in Phoenix, then Tuba City, UT, Pagosa Springs, CO, down to Albequerque, NW, Santa Fe, then back to Phoenix.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I really miss New Mexico when I read stuff like this. I am super happy that you had a great trip! Cloudcroft is amazing and I used to live in Ruidoso. That is a great area to check out as well. Ride through Cloudcroft, then to Ruidoso, down to Capitan (which is where Smokey the Bear is buried. Yes, he was an actual bear.), then over to Lincoln to get some real live Billy the Kid Americana, and back through Ft Stanton is a great trip. Loads of open road and great turns.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
The suspension seems to be solid with the mods so I'm happy except I can still feel some of the "tar snakes" but maybe the forks will relax in time.

We did not do Az 191 this time.
It would have been more informative if you had detailed just what the suspension mods were. I did a little sleuthing and apparently you have a ZX6RR rear shock, but what if anything did you do about the forks?

I'm planning a run up AZ 191 (date not certain, but probably second half of May to ensure pleasant temperatures at those higher elevations). From Tucson, it's possible to do it in a single day, but a long day (12 Hrs.). I don't want to feel rushed every time I stop for photos or to eat, so I'm thinking I should spend the night in Alpine and make it a two day ride. That way I wont have to start real early either day and still get home early enough to avoid the setting sun in my eyes for the last hour or two.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds great. We will be there week after next. Starting in Phoenix, then Tuba City, UT, Pagosa Springs, CO, down to Albequerque, NW, Santa Fe, then back to Phoenix.
When you head back to PHX, try to take a detour to Az 191 from the Show Low Area, south, then into Tucson and over to PHX. Highway 191 includes more twisties than you can imagine... Just be super careful to give the vehicles coming the other way plenty of "room"... sometimes they cannot stay in "their lane"... Or if you want an even better "tour", take I25 South to Socorro, west on Highway 60, take the Reserve turnoff, head for Mule Canyon and then 191.
There are "counties" in that part of NM the size of some states with only a few thousand residents... never pass a gas station...

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It would have been more informative if you had detailed just what the suspension mods were. I did a little sleuthing and apparently you have a ZX6RR rear shock, but what if anything did you do about the forks?

I'm planning a run up AZ 191 (date not certain, but probably second half of May to ensure pleasant temperatures at those higher elevations). From Tucson, it's possible to do it in a single day, but a long day (12 Hrs.). I don't want to feel rushed every time I stop for photos or to eat, so I'm thinking I should spend the night in Alpine and make it a two day ride. That way I wont have to start real early either day and still get home early enough to avoid the setting sun in my eyes for the last hour or two.
Forks: Racetech springs and compression valves set for my weight.
ZX6RR rear shock set on "soft"

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
pics are not great but here's a sample

ceiling in Shaffer Hotel in Mountainaire, NM
Ceiling Roof Beam Architecture Wood

rest stop near Cloudcroft
Vehicle Mode of transport Road Motorcycle Motorcycling

Highway 130
Road Asphalt Thoroughfare Mountain pass Road surface

Another stop
Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Motorcycling

One FZ; one Triumph; one BMW 1200; one BMW 800.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts