Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just got my 2014 FZ-09 last month and I was trying to tweak the suspension settings but I can't seem to get it right. I weigh about 190lbs in full gear. I'm at 2 notches showing on the front forks with rebound 3 clicks out from firmest. On the rear, I have the shock set to 2 clicks from firmest setting and rebound also at 3 clicks from firmest. I just can't seem to make it feel smooth. It feels like maybe the rebound settings are too firm as the bike vibrates even on the smallest bumps. I'm saving up money for a Penske triple clicker and GP suspension fork revalve kit. But until then, some help would be appreciated in "optimizing" my suspension for the time being. Any suggestions?

EDIT: This is actually the first time I have ever messed with the suspension settings. I honestly don't even know what "optimal" suspension feels like. I won't be taking it to the track or anything and the roads out here in CA are pretty bumpy. I just want to be able to take corners a little bit faster with more lean angle without having the suspension too upset by the bumps. Right now it feels sketchy going any type of speed around corners.

Reactions: DNFDOUG

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
That is about the best you are going to get. I weigh the same and got away with stiffer springs and 10w fork oil in the front until I got cartridges, but had to replace the rear shock with the Penske ASAP. Sorry for the bad news. Also, a steering damper was the best upgrade of the bunch for me.

·
Registered
244 Posts
First congrats on the 9er... awesome spirited lady :)
As you and others know, factory suspension is simple sucks and good only for urban riding where potholes and cracks suits the cadi feel lol
You are in CA, look up Dave Moss @ Feel The Track | Ensure your bike geometry, spring rates, hydraulic damping and tire size/compounds are in sync or under his FB site, for only $40 bugs he will set up the bike to your riding style... either way like most of us he will tell you to upgrade the forks and shock asap.

Before my fork and shock upgrade , I had all preload and 2 out on rebound, on the Shock rebound all the way in (hard) and on #6.... I'm about 200lb.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Hey guys, just got my 2014 FZ-09 last month and I was trying to tweak the suspension settings but I can't seem to get it right. I weigh about 190lbs in full gear. I'm at 2 notches showing on the front forks with rebound 3 clicks out from firmest. On the rear, I have the shock set to 2 clicks from firmest setting and rebound also at 3 clicks from firmest. I just can't seem to make it feel smooth. It feels like maybe the rebound settings are too firm as the bike vibrates even on the smallest bumps. I'm saving up money for a Penske triple clicker and GP suspension fork revalve kit. But until then, some help would be appreciated in "optimizing" my suspension for the time being. Any suggestions?

EDIT: This is actually the first time I have ever messed with the suspension settings. I honestly don't even know what "optimal" suspension feels like. I won't be taking it to the track or anything and the roads out here in CA are pretty bumpy. I just want to be able to take corners a little bit faster with more lean angle without having the suspension too upset by the bumps. Right now it feels sketchy going any type of speed around corners.
Still riding on the stock suspension, I had the front down to 2 notches showing on the front forks but found it uncomfortable. Backed it off to 5 notches which was the best compromise that worked for me. Not a track day rider or racer, I find the stock suspension OK most days but there are times when I better understand the complaints of the suspension's shortcomings. I haven't adjusted the rear shock in a while, but my best recollection is your settings are what I'm using.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
First thing is to set the static sag, if that is off, nothing will work correctly.

Dave Moss has several videos on basic suspension set up and setting the sag (spring preload) front and rear.

After that, there is little to adjust on the stock suspension. The other adjusters are the rebound damping and adjust how fast the suspension springs back up after absorbing a bump.

The rebound adjuster in the stock forks is next to useless and the one in the stock shock is only slightly better.

A better shock and fork offers compression damping adjustments that adjust how much resistance there is to the forks and shock being compressed as you go over a bump.

If you are on a budget, my suggestion is:
1) heavier springs in the forks and heavier fork oil (7.5 or 10 wt)
2) A ZX6 rear shock with a correct spring

You should be able to do all of that for $250 or so plus labor if you can't do it yourself. Installing the rear shock is easy. Installing the proper spring on the ZX6 shock is a bit more difficult but many bike shops will swap out a spring for you if you buy the spring through them.

Swapping the forks springs and oil is not too difficult.

Just noticed you were in Sacramento, I am a couple hours away in San Jose.

If you get the springs and oil you are welcome to come over and we can swap it out in my garage. Just let me know.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First thing is to set the static sag, if that is off, nothing will work correctly.

Dave Moss has several videos on basic suspension set up and setting the sag (spring preload) front and rear.

After that, there is little to adjust on the stock suspension. The other adjusters are the rebound damping and adjust how fast the suspension springs back up after absorbing a bump.

The rebound adjuster in the stock forks is next to useless and the one in the stock shock is only slightly better.

A better shock and fork offers compression damping adjustments that adjust how much resistance there is to the forks and shock being compressed as you go over a bump.

You should be able to do all of that for $250 or so plus labor if you can't do it yourself. Installing the rear shock is easy. Installing the proper spring on the ZX6 shock is a bit more difficult but many bike shops will swap out a spring for you if you buy the spring through them.

If you get the springs and oil you are welcome to come over and we can swap it out in my garage. Just let me know.
Sweet! I might take you up on that offer. I actually got a reply from Dave Moss and he told me to go with 15W Maxima fork oil. That seems a bit too heavy for my liking. I told him I was 195lbs. Maybe he read it wrong at thought I said 295lbs?

·
Registered
1,802 Posts

When you ride it with the "optimal" suspension settings, ie new shock and fork work, you will immediately KNOW what it's all about!

Good luck.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Repeat: stiffer springs with 10W Maxima fork oil. 15W will slow the built in compression stack and the rebound to the point that it will feel like it is on bricks. Check "Sloltec gonna be a long thread" for spring info.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Sweet! I might take you up on that offer. I actually got a reply from Dave Moss and he told me to go with 15W Maxima fork oil. That seems a bit too heavy for my liking. I told him I was 195lbs. Maybe he read it wrong at thought I said 295lbs?
15wt sounds too heavy to me as well. Changing fork oil is not that difficult so I recommend trying 10wt. Then you can change to thicker or thinner oil from there if 10wt isn't right for your tastes.

Just keep me posted (PM me) and I am happy to help out.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Yea man, the 15w is gonna be too heavy. I am 205 without gear. My first swing at the FZ09 forks was .95 springs and 10 wt. Too harsh for my liking even though this with gold valves on my sv650 was awesome, on the fz it didn't seem right to me. So, I got Nick (Stoltec) to do .90 springs with 7.5 wt oil and the GP Valve kit. This for me hit the sweet spot. 10 wt probably also would have been good, but I like what I have. I am not on the track, but like confidence in the corners when leaning in and throttling out. My settings with the new setup are about halfway on the compression and the rebound. I can tighten it up if I know I am going to be on smoother roads but now with the new springs, oil and valve about half way works really well for me. Also, the sonic springs are the same length as the stock springs so no need to cut spacers. My SV650 was a race tech setup and that was really nice. The sonic springs and the GP valve kit are really nice on the FZ. It all depends on how much you have to spend, but like Doug said, stiffer springs and 10 wt oil will do it. The stock springs are .75, I think. You're gonna want to do the rear shock for sure. Penske or Ohlins I would look into. Just my 2 cents. Most everybody will tell you something similar. Good luck! It is a fun bike for sure. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here is the email I got back from Mr. Dave Moss regarding the 15w oil question and I specifically stated it was a 2014 FZ-09:

"Jeff,

I started working on these bikes this time last year in NZ. We went through a battery of tests with oil and viscosity and I ended up with 15w Maxima. Since then I have done several conversions of 10w for rides under 170lbs and 15w for riders over 180lbs. To date, there have been no complaints.

At stock fork settings given your weight, you will be at .25 from maximum rebound damping given the spring tension you need based on your weight. 15w will set the adjuster at .75 to 1 turn out depending on where we end up with preload.

Therefore, I would suggest you get the basic set up done and ride that for a while. Once you have 4-600 miles on that setting then consider change the fork oil.

Oil is provided in the $150.

location is:
1445B South 50th St, Richmond, CA 94804

Best regards,

Dave Moss
Dave Moss Tuning
Feel The Track | Ensure your bike geometry, spring rates, hydraulic damping and tire size/compounds are in sync
FaceBook - davemosstuning
YouTube - catalystreactionsbw & sportbikewrench"

I'm gonna try it out guys and get back to you on it. I know the majority of you guys think 15w oil is too much, but word has it that this guy is a suspension GOD. I'll take his word for it, and if it doesn't work out, I'll definitely let him know and I'll keep you all updated. I will do it on Monday the 10th.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I think the difference is that Dave is suggesting using the stock springs with heavier oil. That makes sense to me from a budget perspective. New fork springs are about $100.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I'm running sonic .95kg/mm springs and 15w motul up front and I love it. Zx6rr in the rear. Forks raised 10mm. Dave Moss $40 set up. 200 lbs with gear.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've been trying to find a ZX6rr shock for the longest. I can only find the zx6r. Seems like people like the 2005-2006 models

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
On that note, would a zx6r shock work? Aren't they the same demensions but just different spring rates and valving of the shock?

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Here is the email I got back from Mr. Dave Moss regarding the 15w oil question and I specifically stated it was a 2014 FZ-09:

"Jeff,

I started working on these bikes this time last year in NZ. We went through a battery of tests with oil and viscosity and I ended up with 15w Maxima. Since then I have done several conversions of 10w for rides under 170lbs and 15w for riders over 180lbs. To date, there have been no complaints.

At stock fork settings given your weight, you will be at .25 from maximum rebound damping given the spring tension you need based on your weight. 15w will set the adjuster at .75 to 1 turn out depending on where we end up with preload.

Therefore, I would suggest you get the basic set up done and ride that for a while. Once you have 4-600 miles on that setting then consider change the fork oil.

Oil is provided in the $150.

location is:
1445B South 50th St, Richmond, CA 94804

Best regards,

Dave Moss
Dave Moss Tuning
Feel The Track | Ensure your bike geometry, spring rates, hydraulic damping and tire size/compounds are in sync
FaceBook - davemosstuning
YouTube - catalystreactionsbw & sportbikewrench"

I'm gonna try it out guys and get back to you on it. I know the majority of you guys think 15w oil is too much, but word has it that this guy is a suspension GOD. I'll take his word for it, and if it doesn't work out, I'll definitely let him know and I'll keep you all updated. I will do it on Monday the 10th.
Sorry but I have logged 5000 fast miles on my bike, which Moss can't attest to. Over the years of racing motocross, I have seen companies with race championships under their belt completely miss the mark, including Pro Circuit an Race Tech. You start with springs first for rider weight. , then the oil, not vice versa.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I know the majority of you guys think 15w oil is too much, but word has it that this guy is a suspension GOD..
It depends entirely on the brand of oil you use....one brands 15w could be equal to another brands 10w..its been proven over and over that there is no standards when it come to fork oil weights.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I used Maxima. It is the modifiers that expand under pressure that determine the weight. Different brands use different modifiers. Think of them as spiders with their legs tucked in and then open up under pressure.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I used Maxima. It is the modifiers that expand under pressure that determine the weight. Different brands use different modifiers. Think of them as spiders with their legs tucked in and then open up under pressure.
Yes, but my point is , your 10wt may be the same viscosity as another brands 15w...so its really not a fair statement to say 15 weight is too heavy when in fact it may be the same as 10w.
one example is that the Castrol 10w is less viscosity than Maxima 5w.
There is a chart somewhere that shows the actual cst ratings of different oils....Ill try and find it..its quite enlightening.

·
Registered
137 Posts

motomania,

I am also in Sactown and about to order Sonic springs and oil. I used the spring calculator on their website and it recommends .85 springs. I am 187 geared up and the 09 is a little heavier with the madstad windshield and full trex sliders. I have the zx10 shock installed already. Do you think I should order the .90 springs that many forum members seem to be using? Would you be amenable to helping me as you offered to help jh2586? :help:Thanks for any advice!

Mark

1 - 20 of 42 Posts