Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got the quote for the repair work on my 09 from my crash last Monday. As part of the quote they are replacing my tank as it got a tiny little ding in it. It's barely visible but it is there.
I could choose to just leave that tank though and get an exhaust instead, what to do? The ding I speak of is circled, what to do??
IMG_20150310_101228.jpg

·
Registered
137 Posts
Just got the quote for the repair work on my 09 from my crash last Monday. As part of the quote they are replacing my tank as it got a tiny little ding in it. It's barely visible but it is there.
I could choose to just leave that tank though and get an exhaust instead, what to do? The ding I speak of is circled, what to do??
View attachment 14393
Hmm for me it would always be on my mind, but an exhaust is a blast.
So why don't you have a word with a car repair shop??? Colour match should not be an issue and they could just fill it and respray..
Should be a lot cheaper and you get the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
to the previous post, if the paint is not exposed - i'd leave it. Your resell value is screwed but i'm not sure if you'd make the money on a new tank if you were to sell it down the road anyway.

I bought an SV650 used with a dinged tank and sold it a year later with the same ding for $200 less than what i paid for it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why is my resell value screwed, everything is going to be new and it's not like I'd advertise, hey I dropped this bike!! With a new tank it's good as new!

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
You can buy a tank on eBay anywhere from $175-$300. Just pocket the cash and get an exhaust.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Hmm for me it would always be on my mind, but an exhaust is a blast.
So why don't you have a word with a car repair shop??? Colour match should not be an issue and they could just fill it and respray..
Should be a lot cheaper and you get the best of both worlds.
+1 might be worth checking out and see if a good repair shop can fix the tiny ding, and the rock chip up front? ( if it is a rock chip I see in the photo? or just dust on your camera lens??? )

They might even be able to pop the ding without having to repaint. I had my truck done in the fall after a nasty hail storm we had, and it looks great. Paintless dent repair places are all over the place these days. It's amazing what they can fix.

As for colour match, check here: http://www.colorrite.com/wizardresults.cfm

For the lever, you can get a set of two adjustable levers, which look just as good as Mad Hornet levers on eBay for a great price as well.

yamaha fz-09 levers | eBay

or Mad Hornet

Mad Hornets - Search Results for "yamaha fz-09"

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Why is my resell value screwed, everything is going to be new and it's not like I'd advertise, hey I dropped this bike!! With a new tank it's good as new!
Resell value might drop if you did not fix the tank.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So just got done with dealer. I've decided to get the tank replaced for reason listed above ^^^. I want the bike in new condition as it's still so new. The one thing I'm not fixing is the ding on the exhaust shield as I plan to replace exhaust down the road anyhow.
They kind of frustrated me a little on that as well, they told me that there is no way to accurately remap the ECU for a slip on. Said to do it properly I'd have to get a PC and that I could potentially void the warranty, not sure how much truth there is to that??

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
So just got done with dealer. I've decided to get the tank replaced for reason listed above ^^^. I want the bike in new condition as it's still so new. The one thing I'm not fixing is the ding on the exhaust shield as I plan to replace exhaust down the road anyhow.
They kind of frustrated me a little on that as well, they told me that there is no way to accurately remap the ECU for a slip on. Said to do it properly I'd have to get a PC and that I could potentially void the warranty, not sure how much truth there is to that??
I've searched and searched.........and there is absolutely ZERO truth in that!

Reactions: alnbama and marthy

·
Registered
857 Posts
View attachment 14393
What ding? that is a beauty mark.

Ride Safe.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dent was right on an seam/angle section plus paint was cracked.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts