Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member here, greetings from Finland.

I am torn between FZ07 and FZ09 and looking for help to make a choice. The thing is that I cannot test drive them both if I want to have the bike (new) right after the snow melts down. These bikes are too popular, last year people placing their orders in April had to wait for their bikes to arrive untill August in worst case. The season starts mid-april and is over in September. The quota for bikes to be imported to Finland is very small I think and the recent downswing of economy here plays its role.

So, if things will play out as I suppose, I will have to place my order of my MT (FZ) quite soon. I registered on this forum to get insight and food for thought for my process of making up my mind. Here are some points to consider

- I am 42 years old, bought my first bike when I was 16 (Yamaha TZR 125)
- When I turned to 18 I decided not to buy a car for limited monetary reasons. I bought a brand new Honda CBR 600F (1991)
- Sold my bike after two years and bought a car. Soon realized that the car has to go and traded it in for another Honda CBR 600F
- I was inactive bike-wise for years, in 2006 I bought a Honda CBR 1000 and travelled quite a lot with it
- 5 years ago I got exited about motocross and endurance, bought myself first a KTM EXC 250 and then KTM EXC 530 dirt bikes
- Now I no longer need the CBR 1000 for long weekend trips because I have two little kids now. I have sold the KTMs too. The flame for dirt bikes just died on me despite the fact I like the way they handle.
- Now I am on the market for a fun road bike that is agile, has plenty of torque and is lightweight - like the KTMs. Browsing options boiled down to two options; MT07 or MT09.... I will carry no passenger nor luggage.

My thoughts:

Fz-07
- Looks way better
- Better price
- Powerwise...will I be disapointed?
- Suspension... is it better or same as FZ09?

Fz-09
- I propably will not be disappointed with the power - I am power hound
- Suspension sucks, I would not like to do a pricey shock swap

Something making me lean for FZ07 is the cost of insurance. I propably will drive the bike only on sunny sundays and and high-insurance bike standing in carage...nah. However it is a matter of some hundred euros and if FZ07 makes me unhappy powerwise FZ09 would be worth the money. I have got used to high output vehicles, I have many in my carage; 125hp snowmobile, 480 hp Porsche, a quad, the CBR...

I just cannot make up my mind. Please help.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
The 07 is a more balanced bike. Its suspension it matched well for its power level. The 09 is more bi polar. It has the same power to weight ratio as a modern 600 supersport and about 20 more ft lbs of tq. The engine is a work of art. But the stock suspension is to the point where riding the bike hard, is dangerous. My .02

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I am 169 cm (shortie) and 85kg with my gear. (5ft6 and 188 pounds if I did my conversion right)

I dont push to the limit. Age has calmed me down. I do enjoy the grunt on low rpm when coming out the apex even though I take the bends easy.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Sounds like the 07 would work
...but, you won't be disappointed with the 09's power
...suspension is something you can tame
...and the beastly motor is a gem!!!

Either way
...they're excellent bikes for the money!

Reactions: Rocky_MTN_FZ09

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
There are quite a few people on youtube who just love the FZ-07, and they are quite impressed with it's performance.

I find it's best to get a review from a real rider, instead of the Mr-know-it-all motorcycle review guys.

Yamaha Video

If I was a "lighter" person, I would have definitely consider the 07. lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the video links. Seems like most youtube vloggers praising the power of 07 are newbies to motorcycling. I consider myself not and find it a bit odd to praise the power on a75hp bike. However the torque curve plays a HUGE role and 75hp could be just enough for me. Dont know and cannot test drive.

I hope this thread will go on.

Please post some pros and cons about the two models, bikers with FZ09 must have insight that I dont.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Typically, you won't hear anyone with an 09 complaining about a lack-of-power, the need for more. Definitely a rush! It's a lot of bang for the buck.
I weigh 184lbs (w/o gear)...going to make the leap...upgrading suspension. Enjoyed the bike immensely even with stock suspension. Moderately aggressive street riding.
As you've heard elsewhere, the stock seat fits the look of the bike, but doesn't meet the demands of 50+ mile rides, IMHO.
Otherwise, the bike is an all-around sweet bike.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Does the OP realize that the only real way to get a balanced opinion on an FZ09 Forum is to listen carefully to the few here that have sold their '09 and the reasons why. These guys are still hanging out here because this happens to be a Great MC Forum.

Getting a fair and balanced opinion about a bike on that bikes' forum is generally next to impossible IMHO.:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
The 07 is a more balanced bike. Its suspension it matched well for its power level. The 09 is more bi polar. It has the same power to weight ratio as a modern 600 supersport and about 20 more ft lbs of tq. The engine is a work of art. But the stock suspension is to the point where riding the bike hard, is dangerous. My .02
Totally agree. No throttle issue with the 07, and the suspension can be balanced to serve. Just not the case with the 09. I fell in love with the 07 after thinking the 09 would be my next machine.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Just remember, you can also do a lot of youtube searches for the MT-07 and MT-09 as well, to get other good reviews. Just our FZ's don't have ABS, so that part of the MT reviews we can ignore.

Like you already pointed out the biggest difference between the 07 and 09, is two to three cylinder and the HP and Torque specs, and the cost of insurance for each.

If you are a big canyon carver, you might not like the stock suspension of either bike, but they can both be upgraded quite easily.

But there are a lot of people who find the FZ-09 stock suspension works just fine for how they ride it.

FZ-09 (MT-09) - A Girl's First Ride and Review - she's also done track days on an R6 & ZX-10R

The best thing you can do is test ride both and see which one you like better. But you also have to ask the question (which you already have) is going to the 09 worth the extra insurance expense? and the higher price? Especially if you will be using it more as a weekend ride to start with, and not a day to day commuter bike.

MT-07 vs MT-09 video.

I don't want to take a FZ-07 for a ride, as I am scared that I might end up wanting an 07 as well........ lol

Reactions: MoFZio

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Totally agree. No throttle issue with the 07, and the suspension can be balanced to serve. Just not the case with the 09. I fell in love with the 07 after thinking the 09 would be my next machine.
Many here would have opted for the '07 if they were both released at the same time. My guess is 50%. The OP could fall into either camp. If he likes to wrench and mod, in addition to wanting tons of power, the '09 is his ticket. If he wants a strong but more subdued ride that's all set right out of the box it's the '07. Either way he can't lose if he's matched up properly. :)

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I rode both and are both great bikes. The FZ07 is a better bike right out of the box in a way that the suspension fit the HP/Torque. Love the little twin mid range and got enough power for some serious fun. Not a power house like the FZ09 but you can use it all. A very agile bike for sure. If you ride some tight twisties or just to bang around stop & go traffic the FZ07 is a better option IMO.

Ont he other hand, if you want to beat everyone (or almost) between 2 stop lights or ever dream of riding a 120HP dirt bike... the FZ09 is the way to go. I still have my FZ6R and if I can find some spare coin this year I think I will trade it in for a FZ07. My wife will enjoy the weight and it would make a better commuter bike for me. I can see the FZ09 becoming a weekend bike/track bike in the near future.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Does the OP realize that the only real way to get a balanced opinion on an FZ09 Forum is to listen carefully to the few here that have sold their '09 and the reasons why. These guys are still hanging out here because this happens to be a Great MC Forum.

Getting a fair and balanced opinion about a bike on that bikes' forum is generally next to impossible IMHO.:)
I would like very much to read more about the reasons why people sold their 09s. I know about suspension and throttle issues, is there more? I read throttle issue was fixed by an software upgrade.

About the balanced opinion, I am pleased by the objectivity in this thread.

Just remember, you can also do a lot of youtube searches for the MT-07 and MT-09 as well, to get other good reviews. Just our FZ's don't have ABS, so that part of the MT reviews we can ignore.

The best thing you can do is test ride both and see which one you like better. But you also have to ask the question (which you already have) is going to the 09 worth the extra insurance expense? and the higher price? Especially if you will be using it more as a weekend ride to start with, and not a day to day commuter bike.
I cannot test ride. See the opening post. Not being able to test ride if I want to be sure to get the new MT when the season begins brought me here to post questions.

Many here would have opted for the '07 if they were both released at the same time. My guess is 50%. The OP could fall into either camp. If he likes to wrench and mod, in addition to wanting tons of power, the '09 is his ticket. If he wants a strong but more subdued ride that's all set right out of the box it's the '07. Either way he can't lose if he's matched up properly. :)
I dont wrench. I dont know the direction a bolt tightens. I drive, mechanics wrench.

I rode both and are both great bikes. The FZ07 is a better bike right out of the box in a way that the suspension fit the HP/Torque. Love the little twin mid range and got enough power for some serious fun. Not a power house like the FZ09 but you can use it all. A very agile bike for sure. If you ride some tight twisties or just to bang around stop & go traffic the FZ07 is a better option IMO.

Ont he other hand, if you want to beat everyone (or almost) between 2 stop lights or ever dream of riding a 120HP dirt bike... the FZ09 is the way to go. I still have my FZ6R and if I can find some spare coin this year I think I will trade it in for a FZ07. My wife will enjoy the weight and it would make a better commuter bike for me. I can see the FZ09 becoming a weekend bike/track bike in the near future.
120 hp dirt bike sounds like heaven to me but as learned reading this thread there are downsides to 09. Beating others between stop lights is not my thing.

What a great forum. Instead of praising the bikes the members own and bashing the little brother, I am getting the real deal info to chew. I may be leaning towards placing an order on 07. It can be traded in for 09 if it gets too lame for me. Trading up is better than trading down.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Don't get me wrong, love the FZ09. This is a lot of bike for the $! Once the loose end are all fix the bike is great... just a tons of powwwaaaa! :)

But the FZ07 is enough bike. Like I said, both are great ride. Depend what are your needs.

·
Registered
833 Posts
IMHO 50% is way to high....maybe start a poll?? :cool: Anyways, the 07 is nice but If I were to do it over with both bikes on the market at the same time I would still chose the 09. Maybe after a test ride, I would have a different perspective, maybe I guess. But I wouldn't trade the motor in the 09 for anything.

As for advice for the OP....You like dirt bikes. I think the 09 has a dirt bike stance. You like power. The 09 has that all day (to the limiter). You don't push it in the corners. The 09 suspension is fine. Now the only choice is color! your welcome!;)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Put a deposit down on a 09 in July of 13. Dealer never got one until spring of 14. By that time I bought a 919 to ride, like you I don't want to miss any riding weather. Fast forward to November of 14. Sold the 919 and had a decision to make. 09 or 07?

No test rides here either, but the 07 fits me better. Not a bad review out there on a 07. It seems to work better "out of the box". The older I get the less I want to "dink" with my bikes. Sounds like you're the same way and the 07 maybe a better bike for you.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Is there any chance of being able to sign up for a Yamaha Demo ride anywhere near you????

I only mention this because a lot of the dealers around here organize demo days for the different manufacturers.

I will admit, my 09 was the first bike I purchased that I did not test ride first, and I was not disappointed.

And as for HP and Torque being the deciding factors. My Suzuki DR650SE is rated at 37 HP and 34 lb-ft Torque, and it is still a blast to ride. For the riding that I use it for of course.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts