Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So according to the comparison test by Cycle World (below), this bike is speed limited in 5th and 6th gears to only 132mph?! Who will be the first to "jail break" the speed limiter?? My SV1000 has a timing retard system in the lower half of the rev range in 1st-4th gears, but a guy figured out how to fool the bike into thinking it was in 6th all the time by putting a resistor in the gear indicator wire. Hello instant wheelies, but unlimiting top speed on the FZ should be just as simple?

Middleweight Three-Cylinder Engine Motorcycles- Comparison Review

·
Registered
135 Posts
As soon as someone figures it out I will do it ! PeteN95 looks like you and I have the same taste in bikes ,I also had an SV1000, sold it to buy the FZ ! and did that mod to mine.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Looks like quite a few of us had SV1000's in the past, I have owned 2. It was my favorite bike I have owned, until I got the FZ-09er.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
I'm part of the SV1000 club too, but I can't wait to trade it for the FZ. I never felt the need to go faster than about 130 on that bike anyway (hit that speed merging onto the freeway at 2AM, then slow back down to legal speeds, lol), so I'm not too worried about the limited top speed personally. Although I'll probably still get rid of it anyway, once we figure out how :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
5,701 Posts
I was so close today, I was at an indicated 131 and just couldn't stay in the throttle any longer.....had a left hander coming up quickly. At that speed, there was NO indication of anything unusual......other than the left hander approaching a little quicker than I would have liked for it to.

Reactions: v2Bob

·
Registered
136 Posts
It's not just 5th and sixth, guys. The rev limiter limits it in every gear, probably to keep from total destruction. The problem is, the higher you are in rpm's the quicker it revs and it's hard to hit it just right. Triplethreat is right, she's a BEAST!

·
Registered
611 Posts
It's not just 5th and sixth, guys. The rev limiter limits it in every gear, probably to keep from total destruction. The problem is, the higher you are in rpm's the quicker it revs and it's hard to hit it just right. Triplethreat is right, she's a BEAST!
Correct on the rev limiter. They are talking about the speed limiter though =)

I haven't gotten the courage to test the limiter yet. I jumped on it yesterday from 20-110. I can say that this bike is totally bored unless you are running it hard.

Reactions: Fabio

·
Super Moderator
5,701 Posts
Correct on the rev limiter. They are talking about the speed limiter though =)

I haven't gotten the courage to test the limiter yet. I jumped on it yesterday from 20-110. I can say that this bike is totally bored unless you are running it hard.
I have to agree.....totally bored unless you are running it hard. And running it hard is like and F-15 afterburner kicking in!

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I'm part of the SV1000 club too, but I can't wait to trade it for the FZ. I never felt the need to go faster than about 130 on that bike anyway (hit that speed merging onto the freeway at 2AM, then slow back down to legal speeds, lol), so I'm not too worried about the limited top speed personally. Although I'll probably still get rid of it anyway, once we figure out how :rolleyes:
There is a perfectly reasonable reason to nix the limiter...if there is a zombie outbreak, or a massive tsunami like in deep impact, you don't want to have a limit on your ability to flee danger right?
FZ owners will rule post-apocalyptic America

·
Registered
238 Posts
i hope it is easy to remove :mad:
See Stoltec's build thread, he sent the ECU away to Flash Tune and they are able to bypass this along with doing many other awesome things to allow the bike to run as it should without being strangled by emissions regulations.

·
Banned
161 Posts
So, how long until one of us actually goes out and sees just how fast the fz09 can go??

I would hope you can touch 150....

·
Super Moderator
5,701 Posts
All I can say is that a lite-weight fella/gal, that is able to tuck in really tight, is going to have the fastest top end, once it's removed.....so that pretty much takes me out of the running.

·
Registered
663 Posts
All I can say is that a lite-weight fella/gal, that is able to tuck in really tight, is going to have the fastest top end, once it's removed.....so that pretty much takes me out of the running.
I can relate to that. Damn physics and fluid mechanics will get you every time damn it!

1 - 20 of 172 Posts