Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The top speed limiter must have been removed by the FT reflash. I rode to Ojai Saturday and let my friend ride my FZ-09. When we stopped to switch bikes, he reported that he hit 145. I told him that was impossible because the top speed is limited to 132. When we arrived at the next section of the ride where attaining top speed is possible, I opened it up to verify what he claimed.

Well, I hit a speedometer-indicated 145 on the first run and 146 on a subsequent run.

I'm going to call FT tomorrow to see whether their reflash removes the limiter. I haven't changed the gearing.

·
Registered
877 Posts
The question will be how accurate is the speedo ?

Reactions: Travis

·
Vendor
22 R7 | 21 T7
3,302 Posts
The top speed limiter must have been removed by the FT reflash. I rode to Ojai Saturday and let my friend ride my FZ-09. When we stopped to switch bikes, he reported that he hit 145. I told him that was impossible because the top speed is limited to 132. When we arrived at the next section of the ride where attaining top speed is possible, I opened it up to verify what he claimed.

Well, I hit a speedometer-indicated 145 on the first run and 146 on a subsequent run.

I'm going to call FT tomorrow to see whether their reflash removes the limiter. I haven't changed the gearing.
Jeff, thanks for confiming. Now it's obvious that FT held back on the software and base files the dealers have access to...

The question will be how accurate is the speedo ?
The bike is currently speed limited to 132 indicated. In other words, the actual speed might be different, but the bike stops accelerating when the instrument cluster displays 132 mph.

·
Registered
768 Posts
GPS it and see for sure. Speedometers can read several % high the faster one goes.
If not, WAY COOL!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Aside: I met a goof at the Suzuki shop one afternoon that came by bragging his GSXR-1000 could go 200mph.
No turbo. No overbore. No NO2. No supercharger. He bet me $1000 it would. So, I kindly asked the dealership owner(a friend) if I could "borrow" $1,000 and my GPS would confirm his true top speed was way less than 200. The shop owner typically carried that in his pocket. So, he said "Sure!". The bike owner suddenly remembered he had some place else to be. =)

·
Registered
263 Posts

I talked with Kirk at flashtune last week. Their flash DOES remove the speed limiter.

·
Registered
833 Posts
If I recall, haven't the people that tested their speedos vs GPS been surprised how (close) accurate the stock speedo is? Not exact but only 1-2% off instead of the normal 6-8% that is common on most Japanese motorcycles. I would guess you were doing very close to 140 if not a tad more.

Reactions: edgyver

·
Registered
369 Posts
How accurate is GPS at recording speed? I imagine only as accurate as the ± in the positions being used in the calculation? Just wondering what the best method of measuring would be. I would guess timing over a fixed distance, or radar?

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
If I recall, haven't the people that tested their speedos vs GPS been surprised how (close) accurate the stock speedo is? Not exact but only 1-2% off instead of the normal 6-8% that is common on most Japanese motorcycles. I would guess you were doing very close to 140 if not a tad more.
Good enough. I don't really care if the bike couldn't do but 135mph, as long as the limiter is gone.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
i suppose if you're tracking this bike it makes sense to do that - but i prefer to have an open casket if i eat shit riding. I'll keep the bike below 135mph :)

Out of curiosity - does that higher speed have the potential to impact parts that may have been built without that speed in mind - like wheel bearings or similar? I really have no idea - just wondering if the limiter is a liability or government requirement vs. they put it in place because the bike was not built to go that fast...

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Beck, IMO parts like the bearings are fine for over 132mph, if there are specific things about the 09 that Yamaha was thinking about when they picked the limit it would be stuff like the suspension and geometry making high speed stability iffy. $0.02.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Spoke with FT today to (further) confirm. The speed limiter file is only available direct through Flash Tune. The base files available to dealers and customers purchasing the harness kits do not have the ability to remove the speed limiter.
seems like they're undercutting their dealers products, not a very good business model...

·
Vendor
22 R7 | 21 T7
3,302 Posts
Beck, IMO parts like the bearings are fine for over 132mph, if there are specific things about the 09 that Yamaha was thinking about when they picked the limit it would be stuff like the suspension and geometry making high speed stability iffy. $0.02.
Speedo is 2.15% off, which is the closest to actual that I have ever owned. I imagine Yamaha clipped the wings because of the suspension and the lack of wind protection.
I'll add brakes to the mix. The stock stuff will be OK to 132, but repeatable/consistent/confident is another story. The suspension plays a part in this.

seems like they're undercutting their dealers products, not a very good business model...
:(

1 - 20 of 116 Posts