1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Super Moderator
5,752 Posts
Personally, the think the FJ09 will be a great seller for Yamaha. If I was looking for a sport-touring bike, it would warrant some thought and comparison for me. Fortunately, I've already got an ST1300 with some very nice amenities already on it and I'm perfectly happy with it for it's intended purpose.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
i'm surprised none of the new electric bikes made it into this. They are starting to put out some insane HP and Speeds & the ranges are getting pretty impressive (close to 180 miles). Obviously the pricing is still ridiculous but it's starting to become an interesting category.

·
Super Moderator
5,752 Posts
i'm surprised none of the new electric bikes made it into this. They are starting to put out some insane HP and Speeds & the ranges are getting pretty impressive (close to 180 miles). Obviously the pricing is still ridiculous but it's starting to become an interesting category.
I'd have to buy some baseball cards and some clothes pins to put on the wheels so it would sound like a motorcycle! :cool:

I'm sure they will continue to develop them, but I have absolutely ZERO interest in an electric motorcycle at this point in time.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I'd have to buy some baseball cards and some clothes pins to put on the wheels so it would sound like a motorcycle! :cool:

I'm sure they will continue to develop them, but I have absolutely ZERO interest in an electric motorcycle at this point in time.
I couldn't own one as a primary bike but as a general tech nerd, I think they're interesting - Not sure if you saw the lightening brand bike beat all the gas bikes at pikes peak last year - but the whole speed component to these are cool:

I don't see the "green" aspects of these though i think these companies aren't necessarily touting this as much as car companies are (you are using electricity which is either powered by coal or nuclear depending on where you live - not much better than oil). I think at some point the 2 genres will merge to develop something really cool as they have in cars like the Mclaren P1 or Porsche 918.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I would love to have an electric bike, but the initial cost is beyond my current budget. Hopefully government "green-bates" will someday help level the field. The whole green aspect will come into play once we start mandating even more renewable/sustainable energy. There are massive hydro projects underway, and for us here, we are starting to expand wind power quite a bit, with tidal power tests underway for the next decade. Solar is slowly gaining as efficiency rises, but the return on investment is still too low for people to sit up and take notice (solar roofing materials should change that in the future). We will eventually move away from coal and oil, but right now it's still the cheapest option.
I mean seriously, 100 ft/lbs of torque from 0 rpm with the only vibrations coming from the tires contacting the road? It must be a surreal experience...

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Glad to see the Versys and FJ09 made the list! Two bikes i am very interested in!

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Crazy how the versys and Fj look almost identical but the FJ just looks that much better lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Yeah and the fj has the beloved triple power plant. Realistically though I cannot afford the fj. And will probably end up with the Versys.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Yeah and the fj has the beloved triple power plant. Realistically though I cannot afford the fj. And will probably end up with the Versys.
I can't see a financial circumstance where you could have one but not the other... To each their own. It's not like one is 10k and one is 20k. Lol

·
Banned
739 Posts
I couldn't own one as a primary bike but as a general tech nerd, I think they're interesting - Not sure if you saw the lightening brand bike beat all the gas bikes at pikes peak last year - but the whole speed component to these are cool:
Has anyone thought of this - Build the charger into the rear cowl. Solar, obviously. Something that stores energy for non-sunny days. Never have to stop to plug-in. You could ride for years. Totally self contained bike. (Paton Pending :))

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Allow me to paint the circumstance for you. 2013 Kawasaki Versys left over model I was quoted $6,800 OTD. 2015 FJ09 brand new, hot selling item, no discount. I was quoted $11,800 OTD.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I took your response to mean that you were getting a new versys which is only about 2k difference.

Reactions: Obijack

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Whoops my bad. Well, it is new. By new I mean, never titled and zero miles. However it is not a current model year. Sorry for the confusion.

Reactions: 520FZ09

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Whoops my bad. Well, it is new. By new I mean, never titled and zero miles. However it is not a current model year. Sorry for the confusion.
All good. Glad I wasn't too confused ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts