Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

Took my FZ to the drag strip..

6K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  triplethreat 
#1 ·
I followed some of my buddies out to the drag strip tonight in Byram, MS on my FZ and had a blast! I'm so amazed by the way this bike handled on the 1/8 run. I'm not sure how it is at other locations in the country but down here everyone rides busa's and zx 14's so of course the strip is their natural habitat. I didn't have much in the form of competition exactly but i did beat my friend on his '11 GSXR 750 even though he got the jump on me. Like 4 mph faster and .3 faster overall time. My overall was 6.200 at 94.93. My bike is stock except for some cosmetics. Just wanted to share this and see if anyone else has tried theres out on a 1/8 or even 1/4 mile strip?

#4 ·
I was out watching at our local Friday night "Run-what-ya-brung" event and there was a guy with an Fz09 there. He had a pipe but I never got close enough to see what kind. He ran 12.2's pretty consistently. (we don't run 1/8th miles here) He was having wheelie issues off the line but seemed to eventually get it down.

#10 ·
Its all a balance of clutch/throttle control and body position. Down and forward as far as you can sit. Clutch should be released fully at the same time the throttle opens fully. Lock your wrist and twist the throttle with your shoulder. This is common practice on a drag bike, on ours it will need to be modified as the bike is not stretched or lowered and this practice would have you on your ass. Its going to be interesting when I get to the track...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.