Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone. My work situation has recently changed and i am now driving double the miles that I was before, so I need something that gets better gas mileage because i cant seem to part with my Toyota FJ.... With a 4" lift and 33" BFgoodrich Mud Terrains I only average about 15 MPG, so I have recently started looking at bikes and the FZ-09 has really caught my eye. But I was wondering if it might be too much bike for a first time rider on the street... I have a LITTLE experience with dirt bikes, and quite a bit on ATVs (totally different animal, i know). I know many people say to start out on something small like a 300 or something, but then others say dont waste your money because you will just want to get rid of it in 6 months. Just looking a more experienced rider who has some seat time on this bike.

Thanks in advance!
Derek

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
It's hard to say if it's too much bike, that depends on a lot of factors. But I'm sure most would agree that it's excessive for a first bike, especially now that we're getting ride reports from people who own one already.

My advice, especially since you say your motivation is to save money... Buy a used bike. You're into it way less money, insurance is far cheaper, dropping it won't be such a big deal, and you can resell it for practically what you paid in the first place. I'd look at bikes in the 650cc class personally (Not the 600cc supersports!), like the Suzuki SV650 or Kawasaki 650 Ninja and ER6N, or a Yamaha FZ6R. They're a nice balance of power and practically, you won't outgrow them right away, and many people never want or need more. But nothing wrong with a used 250cc bike to learn on... You won't be wasting any money if you resell it in six months, because the person who bought it new ate all the depreciation, not you :) My humble opinion of course.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Too much bike? Certainly not in B mode, plus the FZ09 is relatively light with neutral handling.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
570 Posts
I suggest the OP check out the Honda CB500F or even the NC700X, both get great mileage and are very user-friendly, important for an inexperienced rider.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I think it is very easy for a lot of folk on this site, especially the older folks, to forget what it's like as a beginner on the street. I think Stellmon hit the nail on the head in that getting a smaller used bike is the way to go for a first-time street bike. I don't think i could recommend the FZ-09 as a first street bike to anyone. if the OP's reason for getting a street bike is primarily to save fuel, then something like a used 300 ninja or DR400 would be a great choice. Even my Husqvarna TR 650 Strada is economical and not so intimidating for beginners.

I'm sure someone will come along with anecdotal evidence that their first street bike was a turbocharged Hyabusa and they did just fine, but that doesn't mean that everyone has the same kind of luck/skill that they do.

You start out riding with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. Hopefully, you fill up the experience bag before you use up all the luck. Buying a smaller, used bike will help stack the deck in your favor.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I would second the opinion on CB500F or even the CTX700N. Comfortable to ride and they do not have too much power that could go to the head of the novice rider. Also they provide great MPG -- which is what the OP is looking for. I believe Honda claims 70+ MPG on the CB500F and 64MPG on the CTX700N.

I wouldn't recommend any bike that has more than 60 hp to a novice rider. And 60 is also on the high end. The 2 hondas I mentioned have about 47-48 hps

·
Registered
663 Posts
Mind you that I started at age 14, but here is the progression I took. Bike #1 was a Honda CB125S (about 5hp). Bike #2 a couple years later was a Honda 360T (about 34hp). Bike #3 a couple years after that was a Honda CB750. (about 68Hp)

By the time I got to the 750, I had amassed about 8,000 miles on the smaller bikes. I then put 15,000 more on the 750. I approach motorcycles and airplanes the same way. There is always more to learn.

I think the earlier advice to seek a decent used bike is a good idea. I too think a smaller displacement bike would do great for a commuter. They are way cheaper to insure, and get great mileage.

My main concern with riding these days has little to do with the bike, and more to do with all the people behind the wheel of a car who are texting, typing, talking, or playing games on cell phones. I see the near misses every day.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Nobody is going to stop you from starting on the FZ-09. It's not a terrible choice, certainly better than a supersport but not much better. No one is also going to feel bad if you lock the stronger brakes and crash or wheelie unexpectedly and crash or give it to much throttle coming out of the corner.
Most people would suggest the sv650, Ninja 650, CB500, Ninja 300, etc. as first bikes and there is a good reason they are suggested. They will be much easier to learn how to ride well on.
I also recommend the MSF course.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My advice, especially since you say your motivation is to save money... Buy a used bike. You're into it way less money, insurance is far cheaper, dropping it won't be such a big deal, and you can resell it for practically what you paid in the first place.

Exactly. I bought my first bike, a ninja 250, 2 months ago and I've put 2500 miles on it already. I always wanted an R6 or CBR600rr and I'm so glad I talked myself into starting small, for all the reasons Stellmon mention and more. I came out of the MSF as "the best in the class" according to both instructors, even over people that had ridden 20 years ago or one's that already owned a bike with a permit, but I had literally 0 experience and more then anything I didn't have the clutch control I have now. I'm so comfortable on the 250 now I often outrun friends in the mountains on their 2nd year owning a 600 supersport simply because they didn't start small and are progressing slower than I (and I've watched countless videos on riding and technique so I feel confident riding). Sure I've outgrown the 250 and can use more power, but I'm still having so much fun in the mountains. If you're bored on a 250, you're riding for the wrong reasons IMO. I'm waiting until early March to buy my FZ09 simply for cost reasons going into the winter, and I realize it's a big jump from 13 ftlbs of torque to 65...but again I'm so happy I went with the smaller bike to start with.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
You start out riding with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. Hopefully, you fill up the experience bag before you use up all the luck. Buying a smaller, used bike will help stack the deck in your favor.
This is so true. You'll make mistakes as a rookie, but the real question is whether you'll be able to recover from them... I started out on the wrong bike, and I did okay. Dropped it once in my driveway, and that was it for the "mishaps". But when I think back on it, I got lucky.

W

·
0 Posts
Some people say if you just take it easy, you will be alright. This might be workable if you had a racetrack all to yourself and could spend a year or so practicing. But the real world intrudes. The real world forces you to use the throttle, steering, and brakes to react to emergencies, sometimes very aggressively. You can't always take it easy. There is so much to learn. I don't think anyone who is truly good at modulating the throttle and brakes on a high-performance bike (and the FZ9 is most certainly that) would say they came by those skills quickly and with little effort. So think it through.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I just gotta say that I think getting an 850 cc triple as a 1st bike is a mistake. It takes years to get real intuitive skill on a MC, and to not have to think about what you are doing to operate the machine. You could be fine 99% of the time...but when you have to react in an instant when some one cuts you off etc, that when the noob gets in trouble from lack of experience...and being ham fisted with 65 ft-lbs could be bad.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Since 2009 I have had 17 bikes. Many different flavors (check my signature block). Many excellent bikes and a couple I should have never sold. I cruised Craig's list and found clean running bikes with legal papers and running well. Cleaned them up and fixed little things that needed fixed. I am 1800.00 ahead at this point. There are deals. Don't get in a hurry. Set you budget. If 3k is your budget buy a 2200 bike then you have 800 for tires, chains, and so on. Closer to stock condition the better you are. When you find a bike, check all nearby lists in other cities to see what the same bike goes for. A bike that has been sitting and does not run (even with low miles) should be avoided. Keep it simple, no V4 engines, twins will do. Newer bikes like the Honda NC700X is a good bike for commuting due to gas mileage and size ( I own the CTX version and waiting for my FZ-09 to arrive) but a NC700x used will cost you more but will need less work. Lots of Honda and Yamaha cruiser type bikes available in the 3k price range with low miles. Lots on ninja type bikes in the same range.

Don't start with the FZ-09. you can end up there, go down the road first on something less then build up to something better.

Reactions: v2Bob

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
There is a lot of good information in this thread, so I won't reiterate much...but BE CAREFUL. This is a lot of bike.

That said, if you're looking to get into motorcycling to save money, do yourself a favor and start a cost spreadsheet. By the time to add up the cost of the bike, depreciation when you sell it, your gear, insurance, registration, and most importantly, consumables (tires, oil changes, chain lube, chains, and the inevitable mods), you're likely going to find the FJ to be a rather affordable option.

Not looking to discourage you from riding. Rather, I'd like to see more bikers on the road. However, if your heart isn't into it for RIDING, you may end up really regretting your decision - financial or otherwise. If you REALLY want to take up the sport for the sport, then disregard the rant and WELCOME!

·
Registered
37 Posts
This is not a good first bike. Is it easy to ride yes. But it is way too fast.
I've got years of experience on lots of bikes. I just about flipped my FZ-09 right over in first gear on the second day i had it.
That's not a bike you want to learn on.

Reactions: chris1261 and v2Bob

·
Registered
17 Posts
I can tell you that I've only ever ridden dirt until i purchased my FZ09. I rode my friends sv650s twice before riding my own bike... the B mode is great for learning the bike and the road, but after 2 weeks or so, STD mode is just fine. As long as you understand how to operate it properly, not letting off the throttle all the way and jumping back on it, the bike wont be twitchy. B mode reduces that a lot. The way that i see it is, I dont and wont waste money buying one bike after the next to upgrade and keep losing money on every switch. I bought the bike i learned on and will keep for 10+ years and wont get tired of riding it (because of the capabilities).

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Freelance, at least in this post you didn't say how much or what type of dirt experience you have. There are differences between dirt and pavement riding but if a person has enough dirt experience and particularly on the quicker dirt bikes then maybe the 09 is a reasonable first street bike.

I'd still suggest a 70ish HP (like a SV650) as a first street bike, one of the joys of dirt is being WFO, on the street you can be WFO a bunch more with 70HP than with 100HP+. If worried about being quickly bored with 70HP get a used one. I didn't get bored with my SV650 after 5 seasons, I just felt like a new bike, and I'm 55, wanted a 100HP+ bike before my riding days are over.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
570 Posts
I can tell you that I've only ever ridden dirt until i purchased my FZ09. I rode my friends sv650s twice before riding my own bike... the B mode is great for learning the bike and the road, but after 2 weeks or so, STD mode is just fine. As long as you understand how to operate it properly, not letting off the throttle all the way and jumping back on it, the bike wont be twitchy. B mode reduces that a lot. The way that i see it is, I dont and wont waste money buying one bike after the next to upgrade and keep losing money on every switch. I bought the bike i learned on and will keep for 10+ years and wont get tired of riding it (because of the capabilities).
Imagine your first dirt bike was a Honda CR450, that would have rather intimidating...

I think riding well is all about becoming confident and in control, and gaining confidence on an FZ-09 will be a tall order for a brand new rider. My .02...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts