Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

Too hot!

6K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  ridetofish 
#1 · (Edited)
Well it hit 100°F today with a heat index of 109°. I'm off the FZ-09 and in the Ram 1500 with its chilly a/c. Its gotten to the point where midday commuting on it is unbearable.

What is your maximum temperature before it becomes no longer enjoyable?

#2 ·
I rode through the Nevada desert once, the bike was reporting an outside temp of 123°

The trick is to never stop :D ....and to not wear black leathers.

I had a more difficult time dealing with the heat in the South, when it was hot AND humid. Thought I was going to die in Louisiana.

#4 ·
Anything above 90 and I'm reconsidering 4 wheels instead of two. In the So Florida summertime, 90 is usually accompanied by 60-70% humidity.........So it Feels like a Freaking Sauna:crushed:

Reactions: Da Braddah
#9 ·
Similarly in Hawaii. Summertime temps in the high 80's/low 90's with 70+% humidity and dew points in the mid 70's. Brutally uncomfortable sitting in traffic. Gotta tell ya, though; a little disappointed after seeing the title of this thread-was expecting something else---with pictures...lol

#5 ·
I hear ya brother. Been in the high 90s all week. I rode a couple days but wimped out and drove the air conditioned cage the other days. Once it reaches the 90s it's tough. That's true LD but not stopping isn't always an option in traffic.

#11 · (Edited)
Heat And Humidity in So Florida is a Killer, but some people will always look great on a Yamaha, regardless of the weather....
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content
Blond Vehicle Car Motorcycle Fictional character

#12 ·
My laptop died Monday morning this week so I took the FZ and drove from Victoria up to my Austin office for PC support. 150mi each way, left at 10:15, got back home around 4:30. On the way home, a couple spots had waves of noticeable heat come through and the temps said 102 mostly and once 104. That was going 85mph at the time so it wasn't accumulated heat sitting still. Had full gear on and didn't do too bad at all. Even though my stomach felt full, I drank 2 to 3 bottles of water each way to keep hydrated and avoid a headache. If it was stop/go traffic, it would have been hell - literally. That was the reason I turned and burned to get out of Austin before work traffic hit.

To answer your question - If the ride will be a lot of stop and go traffic, 90 degrees is about my limit. If it will be all highway, the heat won't stop me. Now that's TX with heat and humidity near the gulf. I used to live in Colorado where there was no humidity and you could be mountain biking in 95 degree weather and not breaking a sweat. Heat wasn't as much a factor in CO as it is where I am now in TX.

#13 ·
Depends on the elevation too...10,000ft + is always OK

Over 90 though, forgrtabouit

#14 · (Edited)
You are doing it all wrong.... You got to remember the three "B's"

Bikes
Babes
and Burkas - with the Nike swish"!!!

the trifecta coolness factor will kick in and you'll begin to chill out.

Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Car

trust me -- you'll soon be chanting like a Tusken Raider!!!

after the coolness factor kicks in, you'll be riding your tauntaun or Fz-09 into the Desert in your underoos

#15 ·
The past couple days it's been in the high 90s (97+). I come home and take off my gear and feel like I got out of a sauna. My air conditioned truck would be nice but I hate sitting in traffic....so I'll continue to brave the heat.

#21 ·
Allison, Arkansas two years ago, it was 108 and that was all it took for me reconsider my choice of an air-cooled thumper that day.
I dosed myself with two bottles of water, hauled the 45 miles back to where we were staying and took a nap until 7pm.
I don't care to ride when the humidity is above 75% and/or the temperature is 90F, or greater.

I have a group of friends riding the Continental Divide Trail this week and it's sunny and 62F in Glacier National Park today.

Tuesday's report is calling for 65% humidity and a high of 79 in north Georgia. I will be riding.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.