Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a brand new 2020 XSR900 waiting at the dealer but it's too high, I'm on tiptoes. I didn't know the XSR900 is a full inch higher ride height than the FZ/MT09. Not sure what to do. Suggestions?

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Got a brand new 2020 XSR900 waiting at the dealer but it's too high, I'm on tiptoes. I didn't know the XSR900 is a full inch higher ride height than the FZ/MT09. Not sure what to do. Suggestions?
They do make lowering links (dog bones) for most bikes. I dont know how they change the ride though. I'd look into that maybe?

·
Registered
161 Posts
You bought without sitting on it ?
Anyway, search the site for seat mods, people shave em down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
1,635 Posts
There’s not much seat material to shave down to start with. But seriously, unless you are super short, just deal with it. If Dani Pedrosa can ride a MotoGP bike, you can handle this...

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You bought without sitting on it ?
Anyway, search the site for seat mods, people shave em down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes I did. First, shops were closed because of the you-know-what. Second, I assumed it was the same ride height as my FZ09.

·
Registered
164 Posts

Seems to be loads of options like this. Fundamentally the same as FZ / MT; same bits fit. You could also drop the forks through yokes a bit.

·
Registered
436 Posts
If your willing to sacrifice a bit of ground clearance lowering links with a bit of front end drop would get the job done. Yamaha shows a set that is pretty reasonable. Myself I think I would go this route, leave the front stock and see how you like it. You could have dealer install the links before you pick it up, and congrats on the new ride!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If your willing to sacrifice a bit of ground clearance lowering links with a bit of front end drop would get the job done. Yamaha shows a set that is pretty reasonable. Myself I think I would go this route, leave the front stock and see how you like it. You could have dealer install the links before you pick it up, and congrats on the new ride!

Thanks. I saw those and am considering that route, perhaps along with removing foam from the seat.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had the Yamaha brand 'dog bones' installed and it dropped it perfectly for me... I'm 5'9" and with my riding shoes (not boots) I'm flat footed on all surfaces.
BUT I found the steering triangle/ balance of the bike was off after the lowering... So I raised the front wheel forks about a half inch in the triple tree. Now it's perfect.

·
Registered
2020 MT-09
295 Posts
Just get fat! I was sitting on my MT-09 today and have bent knees at a stop. I'm only 6' (32" inseam). I know I certainly exceed the weight for the stock setup. Never realized how much I compress the suspension until today. Lol

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
318 Posts
Just get fat! I was sitting on my MT-09 today and have bent knees at a stop. I'm only 6' (32" inseam). I know I certainly exceed the weight for the stock setup. Never realized how much I compress the suspension until today. Lol
or get a fat girlfriend....as a bonus it will be much easier to do wheelies with that extra weight on the back!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts