Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a brand new 2020 XSR900 waiting at the dealer but it's too high, I'm on tiptoes. I didn't know the XSR900 is a full inch higher ride height than the FZ/MT09. Not sure what to do. Suggestions?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Got a brand new 2020 XSR900 waiting at the dealer but it's too high, I'm on tiptoes. I didn't know the XSR900 is a full inch higher ride height than the FZ/MT09. Not sure what to do. Suggestions?
They do make lowering links (dog bones) for most bikes. I dont know how they change the ride though. I'd look into that maybe?

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
1,792 Posts
There’s not much seat material to shave down to start with. But seriously, unless you are super short, just deal with it. If Dani Pedrosa can ride a MotoGP bike, you can handle this...

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You bought without sitting on it ?
Anyway, search the site for seat mods, people shave em down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes I did. First, shops were closed because of the you-know-what. Second, I assumed it was the same ride height as my FZ09.

Reactions: Dirtyrooster13

·
Registered
179 Posts

Seems to be loads of options like this. Fundamentally the same as FZ / MT; same bits fit. You could also drop the forks through yokes a bit.

·
Registered
512 Posts
If your willing to sacrifice a bit of ground clearance lowering links with a bit of front end drop would get the job done. Yamaha shows a set that is pretty reasonable. Myself I think I would go this route, leave the front stock and see how you like it. You could have dealer install the links before you pick it up, and congrats on the new ride!

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If your willing to sacrifice a bit of ground clearance lowering links with a bit of front end drop would get the job done. Yamaha shows a set that is pretty reasonable. Myself I think I would go this route, leave the front stock and see how you like it. You could have dealer install the links before you pick it up, and congrats on the new ride!

Thanks. I saw those and am considering that route, perhaps along with removing foam from the seat.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had the Yamaha brand 'dog bones' installed and it dropped it perfectly for me... I'm 5'9" and with my riding shoes (not boots) I'm flat footed on all surfaces.
BUT I found the steering triangle/ balance of the bike was off after the lowering... So I raised the front wheel forks about a half inch in the triple tree. Now it's perfect.

·
Registered
2020 MT-09
589 Posts
Just get fat! I was sitting on my MT-09 today and have bent knees at a stop. I'm only 6' (32" inseam). I know I certainly exceed the weight for the stock setup. Never realized how much I compress the suspension until today. Lol

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
613 Posts
Just get fat! I was sitting on my MT-09 today and have bent knees at a stop. I'm only 6' (32" inseam). I know I certainly exceed the weight for the stock setup. Never realized how much I compress the suspension until today. Lol
or get a fat girlfriend....as a bonus it will be much easier to do wheelies with that extra weight on the back!

Reactions: Screan29

·
Registered
552 Posts
I have lowered my FZ09 to fit me. First I bought lowering links. Lowered too much. Made my own which was a little less. Softened the suspension (less pre load) then increased it until it was too high. Eventually lowered rear frame by letting it pivot down with spacers in the top mounts. Have a Sargent seat that is firm and wide but lower too. 28 inch inseam and now flat footed. Still have plenty of cornering. All the details are in posts done years ago. Suspension and seat mounting of your bike and mine are pretty much the same. Tall bikes are not fun when time to stop. Tall people don't know this. Just turned 20k on my FZ.

·
Registered
XSR 900
5 Posts
I had the Yamaha brand 'dog bones' installed and it dropped it perfectly for me... I'm 5'9" and with my riding shoes (not boots) I'm flat footed on all surfaces.
BUT I found the steering triangle/ balance of the bike was off after the lowering... So I raised the front wheel forks about a half inch in the triple tree. Now it's perfect.
Looks like we are living the same life.

Am 5'9", no boots. Used the Yamaha dog bones to lower the height. I was able to flat foot on all surface but found the steering slightly rough. So I did some trial and errors with the front forks and ended up leaving it lil bit raised. And now, it's perfect.

·
Registered
55 Posts
it's too high, I'm on tiptoes.
My Sidi boots were slightly too big. I got shoe inserts with half inch lift that work perfect, and helped me adapt from Honda 750 to XSR 900

2 pair for $7 at Amazon and they help quite a bit, put the other pair in some older cycle gear boots

It felt like I had cowboy boots on, yet the Sidi has almost no heel. I am 5' 8" with 30 inch inseam.

I also ordered these 1" lifts, they were a bit too tight in the boots but if I really needed that height I would have taken the lifts to cycle gear and get some econo boot that had room for them. They don't crowd the front foot-box of the boot at all, just the heel area

Daytona makes (expensive) elevator shoe type boots, but not as protective as Sidi or other racing type boots.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts