Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you.

• Chester ate the bear.

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • The bear ate Chester.

Votes: 4 36.4%
101 - 119 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
1,677 Posts
I'm sure they are very good quality carbs and it sounds like a great set up, but just thinking about it logically.....Yamaha requires checking and adjusting the Throttle body sync every 6k miles, and/or once year....how is it that 30 year old technology requires less adjustment/maintenance?

Regardless of what the guy says I'd still 'check' the sync of those carbs once the motor was broken in and I'd check the spark plugs to make sure the mixture wasn't looking too rich/lean. The Sync is just ensuring that you're pulling an equal ammount of air/fuel through each carb, basically adjusting for the minor variation in efficiency across cylinders. Unless the sync is way off the bike will still run fine, but it could run even better :cool:

It is your bike and I don't really care if you do or don't adjust the carbs.....I just think they seller is providing a bit of marketing hype and probably significantly reduces his work load from idiots who have no idea what they are doing messing up the mixture so badly that the carbs have to be returned to him.

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 · (Edited)
I'm sure they are very good quality carbs and it sounds like a great set up, but just thinking about it logically.....Yamaha requires checking and adjusting the Throttle body sync every 6k miles, and/or once year....how is it that 30 year old technology requires less adjustment/maintenance?

Regardless of what the guy says I'd still 'check' the sync of those carbs once the motor was broken in and I'd check the spark plugs to make sure the mixture wasn't looking too rich/lean. The Sync is just ensuring that you're pulling an equal ammount of air/fuel through each carb, basically adjusting for the minor variation in efficiency across cylinders. Unless the sync is way off the bike will still run fine, but it could run even better :cool:

It is your bike and I don't really care if you do or don't adjust the carbs.....I just think they seller is providing a bit of marketing hype and probably significantly reduces his work load from idiots who have no idea what they are doing messing up the mixture so badly that the carbs have to be returned to him.
I can't dispute what your saying but I think this Murray guy is a different animal. He says he tests every set on the model bike they are built for before they go out. You gotta figure that anyone that developes a product because they think they can do a better job than Honda is either a genius or a egomaniacal moron. I'm just gonna have to see.

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
These were sitting at my back door when I got home. They are not Ohlins or K-Tech quality but they look good for a 50 HP motorcycle. $429 delivered with the correct weight spring. They sure are better than the stock shock and the majority of cheap shocks people are putting on these builds because they look shiny. There a lot of $99 Chinese shocks with remote reservoirs that look really racey and are complete junk.
Cosmetics Automotive tire Electric blue Font Cable

·
Registered
2019 FZ-09
155 Posts
I would normally agree but Murray from Murrays Carbs is adamant about not doing anything to them. He custom designed and manufactures the manifolds and changes the 4 small Keihns to 2 large Mikunis. ...
I have never had a bike set up like that - but see what he is saying. It is no longer 4 carbs, no longer an adjustment "per cylinder". I suppose one could hook a vacuum gauge to the pair of intakes, but even then it branches out to a pair of cylinders per side.
Thinking of it reminds me of my old GTO with a big 4 barrel carb. All the cylinders get to eat.

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
I felt like I was running in place for a long time but I'm getting to the end of building this motor. I got the electronic ignition installed, sprocket, clutch plates and springs, starter and the manifolds. I happy with it, I think I have everything right so far and it looks pretty cool.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim Engineering

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Aircraft engine Engineering

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Gas

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Engineering Gas

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
The motor is unofficially complete. I have 1 thread that is stripped on the case which I'm waiting on the helicoil I ordered. That should be here in another day or 2 and than this motor is officially done, gets wrapped in plastic and stuck in the back of the garage. I put the carburetors on, mostly for the satisfaction of seeing how they look and to get them put away. Besides the performance increase, they look wicked cool. They will have to come off when I put the motor in the frame. Now I can start doing a few things to the frame. I also got all of the parts in to build a modern set of forks that still look stock.
Automotive design Shelf Wood Motor vehicle Engineering

Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive fuel system Automotive design

Motor vehicle Automotive design Auto part Automotive fuel system Machine

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
Helicoil is installed and alternator cover is on which completes the motor rebuild and refinish. I may run a 20 amp service out to the garage this weekend....or not because it requires digging and I hate any job that requires a shovel. I have 15 amp out there now and if I run an electric heater over the winter, that won't cut it.

My rear set came in yesterday.....another $500. I needed them as I have to do a slight frame modification for them along with a few other things.

Since I am running pods instead of an airbox now, I had to get a breather filter. I saw one on JP Cycles which has a mounting bracket. It's basically a Harley part. I swear this thing weighs about 5 Lbs. I guess weight savings on Harleys isn't a consideration.

Excepting Brent, most of the comments on this thread are from old timers. I should have named it the old men thread. I love it.

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
As I'm getting into the fabricating and fitting up parts phase, I bought Delta drill press off of Craigslist last night for $75. Nice size and heavy duty that I can also use in lieu of a bench grinder. I have a 1 car garage and space is extremely limited. I look for older older power and shop tools as they are often built substantially better than new stuff. It's easy to get seduced by cheap Harbor Freight prices just to end up with stuff that falls apart or fails.

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
blah blah blah - this thread needs more pictures.
I try to post more pictures but my damn job keeps interfering with my motorcycle riding and building activities.

I bought a set of rear sets about $225 back in September. Nice quality but they installed on the pillion footpeg mount and I didn't like the location so I bought a nicer $500 set that I do like the location.

1st set
Gas Household hardware Machine Metal Fashion accessory

2nd set
Hand tool Tool Wrench Bicycle part Pipe wrench

·
Super Moderator
4,624 Posts
I'd say my fz09 battery is pretty compact and seems to drive the entire suite of electric/tronic doodads just fine. The original 550 battery was kinda small if I remember correctly. Thinner, but taller? Where are you going to mount it?

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
Check out the size and weight of this. I just read am article about a breakthrough technology that was discovered by a team from MIT which is supposed to make them smaller, pack more power and be safer and more reliable. I think that electric cars and motorcycles are a fact of life but it's probably a good idea to hold off buying one as they're going to get a lot better in a relatively short time.

·
Registered
2021 MT-09, 2017 STI
307 Posts
I ran a lithium battery in my 675 back in 2010... The 675 was notoriously finicky to start, could be due to the tiny battery and high compression ratio (forum gossip). When I moved over to lithium batteries it pretty much solved that issue. Didn't have any longevity issues either.

This was back when the batteries weren't super common so we still had electrical wizards on the forum making and selling their own battery packs.

Anyway they should be plenty more reliable nowadays.

101 - 119 of 119 Posts