Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you.

• Chester ate the bear.

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • The bear ate Chester.

Votes: 4 36.4%
81 - 100 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Bottom end with finish paint. The original guy gouged up the bottom end quite a bit trying to clean it up. In spite of that it came out pretty good. Time to start putting it together. New clutch plates, all new screws and bolts, pistons, electronic ignition & Murray's Carbs. This motor didn't need to be rebuilt but I was too nervous about getting junk inside the motor from Dremel brass wire wheels and using air compressor to blow stuff off and out. It's mostly for the love of wrenching on motorcycles. My garage is nowhere as neat as Shamrock's......my motorcycles are though.

FYI: This motor was bright red painted on top of original Honda silver with 45 years of grime on it.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior Gas

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Wheel Gas

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
This motor is pretty much the original design they came out with in 1969 on the CB750. It's cool to see how well engineered they were. They pretty much knocked out the entire British motorcycle industry and came with in a c*nthair of doing the same to HD.

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
I feel like I turned a corner tonight. Before I painted the head I lapped the valves and cleaned them up. Tonight I finished the valve job. The beginning of assembling this thing. The astounding thing about it is that I didn't loose any parts. I'm not sure how they got red paint on the valve springs but it's not hurting anything and I wasn't going refinish the inside of the motor. I'm not sure what kind of red paint it was but it seems to be nearly indestructible. It was a major ordeal getting it off the outside. If I ever see another red motorcycle motor I might develop PTSD. The good part is that within the next week or 2, there will be no visible red.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Automotive exterior

Electrical wiring Audio equipment Gas Electronic instrument Auto part

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
I crunched a piston trying to install them last night. Ordered a new one and should have them by tomorrow. I had a couple more parts come in today. A beehive tail light and a set of cartridge emulators. With these, the correct springs and a few modifications, this should get me pretty close to the performance of a modern set of forks. Really retro tailight that is LED.
Product Material property Font Automotive lighting Circle

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
After having to order a replacement piston and rings for my ham fisted attempt to rush through putting the cylinders on, I had my GF lend an extra set of hands and patiently got it done. I bought new bolts and screws for everything that is visible on this motor and now that I'm putting it together, it was worth spending $150. Goes together well and looks great. I'm pleased with my efforts so far but there's still a learning curve for everything you work on that you've never seen. I think there's a YouTube video for anything we might possibly want to do. It's made this process easier. Still they edit out the hour it took to finesse a set of cylinders over the pistons.

I've got a huge pile of new parts now. I guess I'm a bit compulsive about it but who gives a shit, it's only money.
Wait.....I can't be broke.....I still have checks!
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Gas

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Chair Automotive exterior

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Another cool fork component arrived today. These fork caps with preload adjusters are very nice quality but at $140, a little pricey. Otherwise you have to screw around with spacers inside the forks to adjust preload. Having good aftermarket suspension stuff on my Yamahas has ruined me. I don't think I could go back to a crappy stock suspended motorcycle. I like the idea of having a fork set that looks stock but has got all of the good stuff inside.
Camera lens Cameras & optics Camera accessory Household hardware Circle

Household hardware Cylinder Tool Nickel Gas

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·

·
Registered
979 Posts
Out of curiosity, would anyone buy these Chinese Caps with preload adjusters for $100 less then the ones I bought?
I would ,because it's a simple part and they probably made the name brand one you bought

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Out of curiosity, would anyone buy these Chinese Caps with preload adjusters for $100 less then the ones I bought?
Send yours back and get the E-Bay ones...

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
I think you're all right...........I mean who could even argue with Abe after seeing the picture of his yellow Yamaha garage. I just couldn't get past the fact they are Chinese metal and I have trust issues with Chinese metallurgy so I will probably just keep this set.
I was in Harbor Freight a year or so ago and some guy was returning 2 aluminum jacks that just snapped when he jacked up his truck. You can see how I might be conflicted.

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
I've been slowed down for the last few weeks. Mostly because I've never had to open up one of these motors to work on one. Truth be told, once I got this one opened up I saw that it was in incredible condition. This motor is easy to work on but there have been a few bumps in the road. I mis-installed the cam chain tensioner and ended up twisting it up. Vintage motor parts are crazy expensive, new or used. That was a $300 lesson. If the tensioner is not perfectly installed, the cam chain appears to be too short. I finally got it together correctly and now am very confident that it's better then if I just painted the motor. I hate doing half assed work, be it construction (my trade) or mechanical. I was so frustrated that I went to bed last night trying to figure out what I did wrong and how to fix it and woke up this morning and couldn't fall back to sleep thinking about it so I texted in sick and figured it out today.

The one on the left is new. The one on the right is what I did to to the original. I tried really hard
to ruin the new one but somehow avoided it. Perhaps it was divine intervention.
Wood Electrical wiring Cable Electrical supply Wire

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
I feel like I'm over the hump with this motor rebuild. The top end rebuild is done and valves are adjusted. I bought replacement for all of the nuts, bolts and screws and they really make it pop. As I am not a master fabricator, the next best thing is to pick out and assemble cool components. The clutch, electronic ignition and carburetors are up next and then bolt on the polished chrome covers and motor is done. All pretty simple stuff. The Murray's Carbs set up is all preset up and synced for this bike and just bolts on.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive fuel system

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
1,677 Posts
IMHO even if the carbs are 'preset' you'll still want to tune them on the bike once you get it all together and running. I've no doubt that they are 'good enough' to get you going but there is just too much variance in the manufacture and wear of those older motors for them to be 'pre set' ideally for every possible bike. Syncing carbs isn't really hard - about the same as syncing the throttle bodies on a a new bike, with the added step that you've got to tweak the idle mixture a bit as you go along.

·
Administrator
3,304 Posts
IMHO even if the carbs are 'preset' you'll still want to tune them on the bike once you get it all together and running. I've no doubt that they are 'good enough' to get you going but there is just too much variance in the manufacture and wear of those older motors for them to be 'pre set' ideally for every possible bike. Syncing carbs isn't really hard - about the same as syncing the throttle bodies on a a new bike, with the added step that you've got to tweak the idle mixture a bit as you go along.
Yeah, a sync is pretty much mandatory as every engine will be different. Simple enough to do on these bikes.

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
I would normally agree but Murray from Murrays Carbs is adamant about not doing anything to them. He custom designed and manufactures the manifolds and changes the 4 small Keihns to 2 large Mikunis. He says that his 2 into 1 cable set up takes care of syncing. He also says that if there is any issue in which they are not running perfect after bolting on, to call before doing anything. I researched these extensively and there are a lot of people that have installed them and every single one of them swears that they are perfect out of the box and dramatically improve performance, starting and reliability. I guess I will see.

81 - 100 of 119 Posts