Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to circumstances beyond my control, my Winter bike (Husqvarna TR650) has been in the shop waiting on repair parts from Italy/Germany. My thumper is setup for cold weather with cold weather tires, heated grips, good wind protection, electric clothing plugins, etc. It runs really well in the severe cold having ridden it all last Winter during the many Polar Vortex days we experienced (negative wind chills). The Yamaha so far has not been nearly as good in the cold thus far (one day at 22 degrees). I did add big windblocking hand guards, windscreen, and electric plug for heated clothing. Even with these additions it's not making my morning commutes at 6 a.m. in the dark any fun. The bike being so narrow doesn't block much wind from the body, and the engine heat is not coming up which is great for the Summer but no so much for the Winter.

Has anyone made good Winter changes to the bike for more enjoyable rides? For me, I'm praying I can get my Husky back by Christmas week.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I feel your pain. I desperately wanted to ride the FZ-09 all week, but it was 29 when I left and the Tenere is just so, so much warmer (handguards, heated grips, big windscreen, huge protection from the wind). I did buy a rad guard for the FZ-09 and put a bunch of duct-tape over it to close down the wind across the rad. It completely helped the engine temp issue. It'll run 165 happily down to the upper 30s. My Tenere has the same temp problem, but it's easier to fix: I just stuff a t-shirt in the air intake to the radiator and it blocks enough wind to keep the engine warm. Why I have $20,000 of new Yamaha product that has idiotically designed cooling systems/thermostats is beyond me, but the fixes work and I'm happy.

·
Super Moderator
4,452 Posts
You extended your season much further than I managed to. Haven't been on the 09 since the first week of November.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I had a dream last week that I was getting ready to go for a ride and I said "Wait, I can't ride in this cold with a race tire on the back. I need to install my new tires" and I had a set of Dunlop RoadSmart II's ready to install. hahaha...

Then the other night I had a dream that I was at the track doing a test ride on a BMW S1000RR with my winter coat on wearing jeans and running shoes. LOL

·
Registered
885 Posts
You're a brave soul. My FZ-09 comes out on weekends in the early afternoon during late fall and winter, but there are some early morning rides... not many, though.

In the cold temperatures, my other Yamaha usually provides the ride. The picture is from my New Years Day 2014 ride in Thurmont, Maryland.

The Morphous gets plenty of snowmobile wisecracks (jetski, too), but noting 40,000 miles of superb service changes the conversation nicely. The picture shows almost no wind protection for the hands. But without a clutch lever to operate, I'll use warmer gloves (no heated gear) than would work well with the FZ-09.

Best wishes on getting your TR650 back into service! Riding this time of year is great, and I understand wanting to back out there.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Some people might laugh at a scooter, but few people know that there are winter tires for scooters.

Like the Schwalbe Iceman, Michelin City Grip Winters, Savatech MC 32 Win Scoot, Metzeler Feelfree Wintec, Continental ContiMove365 M+S All-Season Tires.

The biggest problem here in the winter isn't the cold, it's with having to deal with all the dirty road spray, and not being able to see. On bad days you can't even go half a mile without having to hit the wipers/spray so you can see in your car.

But if I could get past that mess, I'd consider riding one of these with a set of winter tires, lol.
Piaggio MP3 500
Motor vehicle Scooter Black White Vehicle

Added Note: - the biggest problem on any street bike, is finding a tire that still gives you grip at low temperatures.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Wait, how did you get wind protection on the TR650? AFAIK, its more naked than the FZ!
I guess the light weight and option of knobbies would be great for it- and I sure wouldn't mind having one too if i could.

That said, my FZ has been my winter, summer, spring ,fall bike- the only bike I have currently so have to. It was solid through last winter's polar vortex, even on the stock S20 tires!
Mods include: heated grips, barkbusters, connections for heated gloves (I wear a battery powered heated base layer). That's about it I think! I couldn't ride only about 10 days last winter but that's all.
The FZ felt great- never felt like it was going to kill me or I was going to freeze and die. I also did not feel the engine dying from the cold and I think it heats up enough to keep the legs warmish ( I wear overpants). Possibly because I am in NC where it does not get as cold as other parts?

Thinking about getting a KLR with knobbies for when it gets real rough on the ground. Even a CRF250 would do I guess...so that I never have to sit it out due to bad weather.

·
Registered
885 Posts
You guys have balls. What about rain at those temps? I'd be afraid of hitting some black ice on a bike.
The hourly forecast for weather.com is bookmarked. But good point, black ice is a serous concern. I have traveled very slowly when either the view of the road ahead or the feel of the road below wasn't quite right. For me, traveling in such conditions is only for the purpose of getting home safely. Fortunately, the Morphous' low center of gravity helps in adverse road conditions.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Yup. I had to break out the Leather jacket this week.:D

Text Font Screenshot Technology

Reactions: Da Braddah and EdVR

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Yup. I had to break out the Leather jacket this week.:D

View attachment 11497
Leather Jacket at the massive low temperature of +63°F ???

Bring a bunch of people here from Florida, in the middle of winter, and they would all go into shock, lol. :p

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
It's the humidity that will kill you. Right Steve?
And to add to the discussion I just ordered some hand guards and taller windscreen for the Versys. Gonna make her the winter bike. The low here in NE Florida was 38F today with a high of 60F :(

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
It's the humidity that will kill you. Right Steve?
And to add to the discussion I just ordered some hand guards and taller windscreen for the Versys. Gonna make her the winter bike. The low here in NE Florida was 38F today with a high of 60F :(
60F.....seems like a pleasant dream around here.
And your list of bikes does not list the Versys..just saying...but yeah, that bike seems to have most of the "comforts" you could possibly mount for cold weather comfort.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The TR650 has good wind protection for a dual sport bike. The added windscreen pushes air just above my helmet and the Touratech handguards work very well against the wind. Did need to add heated grips though because my heated gloves never get hot enough on my 30 minute ride (20 minutes at 70+ mph in the Express lane). The bike is very tall that helps keep the lower body legs close to the engine area for some added heat. The 55 L Givi Alum top case forces air wide toward the back. The single cylinder engine keeps the hot water flowing well below freezing temps too. Not that I'm bashing the FZ-09, but the TR650 is still my most enjoyable riding bike. The FZ-09 is my favorite hooligan bike, more so than my previous Triumph STR!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
The TR650 has good wind protection for a dual sport bike. The added windscreen pushes air just above my helmet and the Touratech handguards work very well against the wind. Did need to add heated grips though because my heated gloves never get hot enough on my 30 minute ride (20 minutes at 70+ mph in the Express lane). The bike is very tall that helps keep the lower body legs close to the engine area for some added heat. The 55 L Givi Alum top case forces air wide toward the back. The single cylinder engine keeps the hot water flowing well below freezing temps too. Not that I'm bashing the FZ-09, but the TR650 is still my most enjoyable riding bike. The FZ-09 is my favorite hooligan bike, more so than my previous Triumph STR!
Pictures or it did not happen, isn't that we say around here?

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
67... That's much too hot. How can you stand it?
I only buy "perforated" Leather so truth be told I have to layer to stay warm! I hate this cold weather.:mad:

Reactions: RichBaker
1 - 20 of 51 Posts